“Staff are rude!!!”

The St. James Hotel Grimsby
Ranked #9 of 10 Hotels in Grimsby
“Staff are rude!!!”
Reviewed 20 May 2013

Had a private function at the hotel everything was going well untill a member of staff accused some of us of upsetting another member of staff and decided to shout and swear at me absolutly ruined my night and i would never expect anyone to be shouting and swearing at me let alone a member of staff but when i rang the hotel to complain i found out this man was manager!!!!!

3 Thank annyie
PEG80, General Manager at The St. James Hotel Grimsby, responded to this review, 4 June 2013
Dear Guest
I welcome all comments from our guests and I am glad you enjoyed the evening.

However the altercation between my Duty Manager and the people concerned was not as fully described in your comments.

I will be happy to discuss this with you privately and the reasons this incident occurred.
Paul Grantley

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Reviewed 18 May 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for a few weeks with work, I found the rooms very old fashioned, the food barely edible and the staff not very friendly either.
On the bright side, the restaurant looks out onto a big square which tends to be full of all kinds of people so if you like people watching this is a great spot.

Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Danny F
PEG80, General Manager at The St. James Hotel Grimsby, responded to this review, 20 May 2013
Dear Guest

We were sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay here at the St James Hotel and disappointed to read your comments.
We would like to take this opportunity to offer our sincere apologies and we can assure you that all comments are taken seriously.
We accept that the hotel is dated and are striving to improve and upgrade all areas, however as you can imagine this is quite a lengthy and ongoing process for a 125 bedroom hotel.
We were shocked to receive your comments regarding the meal you consumed as we feel we offer fantastic food which is varied and value for money. Our rates are very competitive within the area and what we offer is value for money. Many guest who stay with us return because of the friendly staff that I have at the hotel.

Thank you for your comments.

Paul Grantley

Travellers are raving about these Grimsby hotels

Merseyside
Reviewed 10 May 2013

I spent 4 days nights here and it was not a pleasurable experience. I have attached photos which hopefully you can see. I have tried to upload pics to Trip Advisor before and it hasn’t worked. The photos are of a prison cell style wash basin, some mahogany 1970’s static caravan furniture, the bare brick walls that give a ‘Prisoner Cell Block H’ feel and a World War II army issue orange blanket.
I have seen previous comments that the manager has said he will take on board regarding the shabbiness of the place and I can confirm that this has NOT been actioned. The furniture, carpet, decoration and bed linen is dated, damaged and very unattractive.
Firstly, the car park is an absolute nightmare. There are no spaces during the day and nothing changes through the night, in fact it got harder to park after 4pm.
I had the misfortune of staying in room 120. The room is dull, basic and distasteful. There is only one twin socket available, one of which houses the kettle. The socket has been fitted to an upright and is flush with the desk. This means that if you have a plug that has the cable at the bottom, like most modern phone chargers, it will not fit in.
My room was directly above the kitchen and the heat it generated into my room was horrendous. The windows didn’t open so I resorted to wearing just my boxer shorts which is not a pretty site. The windows all steamed up with the heat so I couldn’t see out of the window.
Wednesday night was my favourite. The bar next door has karaoke on so loud that I couldn’t hear my tele. I had to wait until 11pm for that to stop. I finally went to bed at 12.30 but was abruptly awoken at 2.45am. The noise and vibration from the fans below me felt like a 747 landing. I complained to reception and they said they would turn them off, which they did. Unfortunately, they kept kicking in again every 20 minutes. I never slept all night because of the noise. Functioning in work the next day on just 2 hours sleep is not easy. You also have the benefit of a 6am wake-up call when the delivery wagons arrive outside for the shops next door.
I was then moved to room 235 which is next to a major road and the windows are rattling like hell in the wind. I tried to pack them out with cardboard but to no avail. I thought I was faced with another night with tissue in my ears. That’s right, £70 a night and tissue in your ears!
But again, I moved room’s to 345- it was a single bed instead of a double but it was away from the main road. The pressure in the shower was pathetic compared to the 1st floor and regularly changed temperature from luke warm to piping hot. The walls must be thin because I could hear every word the 2 men next door were saying. There was still a whistle from the wind passing through the windows and a constant cooing of pigeons, but this time I had come prepared! I had been out and purchased cotton wool to replace the sandpaper like tissue paper provided to put into my ears.

*I tried FIVE times and it won't allow me to upload the photos. They just want you to see the false hotel photos of a room you won't get. Not sure why Trip Advisor has the 'upload photo' facility- it never works.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
PEG80, General Manager at The St. James Hotel Grimsby, responded to this review, 15 May 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay, I am sorry to read you were disappointed by it.

I would like to assure you that I do take all comments on board and feed then back to Corus head office. As explained in previous replys to guests we have started re doing parts of the hotel but it is a progressive and ongoing affair.

The second floor in particular to date has benefited from a large amount of investment and we do have plans to invest throughout the rest of the hotels and floors-again this will be seen over time.

To clarify the photos on my website are photos of actual rooms in the hotel. As a 125 bedroomed hotel we do have various room types and it isn't possible to show a picture on our site of every room we have.

An area that we are commended on regularly is the great customer service that we offer. I am pleased to read in your feedback that my staff performed in their roles and moved you to other rooms to try to make your stay a more pleasurable experience.

I thank you again for your feedback.

Newport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 May 2013

Very well situated just on the edge of the town centre. Within walking distance of Grimsby Shopping centre and also the train station. Free parking. The staff are very helpful and attentive. However, the hotel itself is very run down and does need a face lift. Hotel rates are extremely reasonable. I have stayed three times and would return.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
PEG80, General Manager at The St. James Hotel Grimsby, responded to this review, 13 May 2013
Dear Guest,

Indeed we are upgrading our bedrooms and public area and many other facets of the property, all comment are taken seriously and will be action accordingly with the relevant management. We have done much work on the hotel over the years, but do understand we need to keep progressing with the refurbishment.

As a team we are always looking at ways to improve our services and we will review your comments and action accordingly.

I hope I have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the very near future.
Wishing you well.

Ely, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 April 2013

As soon as you enter the lobby it is obvious it is tired and in need of a lot more than TLC.
The reception desk personnel were good and welcoming.
In the lift to the third floor and the tired out lift, carpeted on the walls, creaked and groaned slowly up to the top. I then made a decision that I would use the stairs in future. (And did)
The room I had was nothing like the pictures on their website. It was even more tired than the rest of the hotel, but it was clean and functional.
The restaurant menu was good and the food was great.
Would I stay again? Yes! Free wifi and good food. What it's not lacking is "character"!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank GrampyBampy
Dear Guest
Thank you for your comments which you have made to tripadvisor regarding your stay at the St James Hotel.
I agree that the hotel is in need of an up grade because the hotel does look dated.
Over the 6 years I have been at the hotel we have been able to upgrade some of the bedrooms on the 2nd floor, but I do understand that we need to carry on this through the hotel.
I have replaced one of the lift and again understand that the other one does need to be changed too.
I can assure you that the rooms which are shown in the pictures on the web site are the same as the hotel provides to all our guests.
We as a team have work hard to improve the food concept in the hotel and you are one of many who has complimented us on the good food.
Again I would like to thank you for your comment regarding if there are positive or negative as I feel that this is the only way I can improve the hotel standard.
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 April 2013 via mobile

I was on the road and needed somewhere in Grimsby in a hurry. Unfortunately I found the St, James. This has to be one of the grimiest, tatty, out of date places I've ever stayed. It looks like it hasn't been decorated in eons hence the chipped paintwork everywhere the filthy ceilings and the filthy walls in the bedroom. The mattress was so cheap and old, when I lay on it, it compressed so easily my shoulders touched the bed. The receptionist was too busy talking on the phone to realise a queue was building up of tired people waiting to check in.
The selection of meals on the evening were dreadful. I had Chicken curry which was either out of a tin or boil in the bag. It was disgusting. When I checked in I was told breakfast was £10.25 and given a £3 off voucher. In the bar, breakfast was advertised as £7.99. The bar was unattended most of the time while the poor barmaid worked in the restaurant as a waitress. The interior of the hotel goes right back to the 60's and so does the furniture. If it wasn't for the muck you could believe it was a genuine retro hotel. The choice of carpets was so varied and random, that along with the multiple colour paintwork, curtains and wallpapers made me think the interior was designed by Stevie Wonder.
The hotel seemed to be occupied by relatively young men working at the local docks, ships, factories or chemical works. Once they had a few pints in the bar the atmosphere turned into a working mans club with all the high volume profanity and staggering around that goes with it.
I'm not a snob and I can rough it but this hotel at £73 for the room and £7.25 for breakfast is excessively overpriced for a scruffy dump with half the staff it should have to see to guests, cleaning and maintaining hygiene properly.
Until Corus close this place down and spend a few million on it, I won't ever darken it's doors again.

Stayed April 2013
3 Thank pscott1973
PEG80, General Manager at The St. James Hotel Grimsby, responded to this review, 30 April 2013
Dear Guest

We were shocked to receive your comments regarding the meal you consumed as we feel we offer fantastic food which is varied and value for money. The £7.99 breakfast you mentioned is on our menu as an all day breakfast however the breakfast served in our restaurant each morning is hot buffet style which also includes a wide variety of cereal, juices, fruits, tea and coffee so I hope this clears up your confusion.

Thank you for your comments.

Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 April 2013

Staff were very helpful and friendly. Rooms clean and have been updated, bathrooms clean but in need of improvement. Hotel is very dull on both outside and inside. I found it very unappealing. Ok for one night and price was reasonable. Breakfast poor value for money.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Guest
I am sorry that on this occasion you were disappointed with your stay at the St James Hotel. I treat feedback with utmost seriousness. I do understand that the hotel needs up grading to a more moden look, but i can assure that we have done much needed work to the hotel. To compliment this the staff who work at the give the best service and make sure that our customers go away with a more positve feeling.
I do you you give us another chance in the future.
Thank you again for your comments.

Kind Regards