“Puts the Grim in Grimsby”

The St. James Hotel Grimsby
Ranked #9 of 10 Hotels in Grimsby
Reviewed 4 December 2013

I have tried to hold back in regards to The St. James' but its possible the worst hotel I have stayed in for a very long time. It has a very dated interior which I don't have words to describe which follows through into the bedrooms. Currently the hotel has no internet, I am not sure if Grimsby has heard of the internet yet, which means contacting the outside world is a no go. To add to this the single glazed windows let all the sound in which isn't great when your being woken up at 1:30 am by Jeremy Kyle's finest rolling around outside your window. Furthering this the food isn't great - there are much nicer restaurants close to the hotel (see my other reviews). The few positives are:
- friendly staff
- central location
- cheap

Room Tip: Look somewhere else
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
PEG80, General Manager at The St. James Hotel Grimsby, responded to this reviewResponded 11 December 2013

Dear Guest
Thank you for your review, I am sorry to read that you were dissatisfied with your stay. I acknowledge that the hotel is somewhat dated and as stated in previous responses we are continuously investing in order to change this – it is just unfortunate that this will take time for us to get through the many different areas of the building.
Unfortunately at the time of your stay we didn’t have internet due to technical difficulties at the suppliers end. My staff did make people aware of the internet issue, and we also had signs up around the different areas, but unfortunately this was an issue that was completely out of our control. I completely understand your frustration at being ‘cut off’ from the outside world, indeed myself and the majority of my staff shared in your experience. I am pleased to say however that our supplier has rectified the problem at their end and the hotel is now connected again via free WIFI.

I thank you again for your review and wish you well.

Reviewed 30 November 2013

Currently residing at st james and we are happy. After reading the reviews my hubby and i were dreading our stay here but we were pleasantly surprised. Its cheap, clean and perfectly fine. We have stayed in a lot worse for a lot more money!! We got a deal via wowcher for the stay a three course meal and breakfast all for £49. We are here on a little xmas shopping trip and its a stones throw away from freshney place. I think the reviews have been unfair. Yes its dated but its shouldnt be judged soley on that.

• Stayed: November 2013

Dear Guests
Thank you very much for your review regarding your stay here at the St James Hotel. It is always uplifting to read such positive feedback. I do hope you managed to finish your Christmas shopping, and I hope I can welcome you to the hotel again in the future. Best wishes for the season.

Reviewed 28 November 2013 via mobile

It's all been said by others. Tired beyond measure. Please don't use if you have photosensitive issues. Getting out of the lift is like walking into a virtual migraine with primary coloured carpets and garish lighting. Room would have been out of date in the seventies when I think is the last time it had a coat of paint. Car park impossible to find in the dark. The satnav reference it asks you to put in specifically for the car park tells you you have arrived when you are in the middle of the adjacent motorway one way system. I had to park up in the nearby public carpark and get directions from reception. I see countless references to a refurb. I saw no signs of such. Heading for the low end of the market which is a shame given the location. Lift noise in my room and paper thin walls. The early morning alarm call from the delivery trucks/dustbin lorries wall. A few saving graces to boost it up to two stars:

1. It was cheap.
2. All staff were cheery and helpful. No mean feat given their surroundings.
3. Despite the wear and tear it was clean. Had it not been so I would have left.
4. Central location handy if you want to eat out (Sage restaurant is five mins away and you won't regret it!)
5. Free wifi.

Won't do it again if I have any choice in the matter.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Ybabobmij

Dear Guest
Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay at the St James Hotel, sorry to hear you felt dissatisfied with your stay.
I do appreciate that the hotel is still in need of refurbishment but I can assure you that we have done a lot of work over the years to maintain and upgrade different areas. Indeed as mentioned in previous replies the 2nd floor bedrooms and bathrooms were all done last year and we have just finished in the reception area.
I was really happy to note that you found my staff ‘cheery and helpful’, we do aim to deliver a friendly welcome and fantastic customer service.
DN31 1XZ is the postcode that will lead to our hotel car park if entered into a sat nav, it does differ from the hotels actual postcode, sorry again if this wasn’t clear to you.

I thank you again for your feedback.

Reviewed 20 November 2013

Stayed here for one night with my partner and two children. I found the hotel really easy by using he sat nav code off the website (which differs slightly from the hotels actual postcode). Parking was adequate, check in was quick and efficient and the reception staff were lovely-chatting to the children as well as ourselves and just generally being very welcoming. We had interconnecting rooms on the second floor, which I found to be clean, spacious, comfortable, tidy and completely adequate for our needs. We ate in the restaurant for both evening meal and breakfast, the staff again were lovely, chatted to the children lots and they went above and beyond to meet our needs. I requested a meal that was a variation of one on the evening menu (vegetable curry) which the chef made with no issue for me, portion sizes were huge and the meals were delicious. Breakfast again was lovely, I was offered vegetarian sausages and again I felt this was really good value for money. The hotel is located in the town centre, shops within easy reach-can't knock it. Fantastic value for money.

• Stayed: October 2013
PEG80, Manager at The St. James Hotel Grimsby, responded to this reviewResponded 21 November 2013

Dear Guest
Thank you for your report its welcoming to no you and your children enjoyed your stay and you enjoyed the food. will pass you comments on to the chefs look forward to welcoming you back next time in grimsby

Reviewed 20 November 2013

This hotel is trying very hard to update, the staff were very friendly & accommodating. Upon my arrival the car park had plenty of spaces, I then asked in reception for one of their better rooms, this was seen to immediately. The room was clean & tidy and for the price was very good, large kingsize bed, warm, good shower & the usual tea & coffee making facility. The only criticism was that the room had no armchair. I used the restaurant in the evening & the menu had a good varied choice at a very reasonable price. Breakfast next morning was buffet style & had a good choice. I stayed here for 4 nights on business & will return at some time.

Room Tip: Ask for a better room than standard.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for your trip advisor review i will pass on to all the staff. and look forward to welcoming you back to the St James Grimsby next time you are visiting

Reviewed 4 November 2013

My partner and I recently stayed in this hotel with our 2 year old daughter, whilst visiting family in the area. The reception and housekeeping staff were brilliant upon our arrival and recommended a room that would best suit our needs. Upon checking in the lady from housekeeping came up to the room with us and set up the cot immediately and helped us settle...it was a great welcome!

The room was clean and comfortable and suited our needs for a 3-night stay. Breakfast was not included in the rate and, as we were so close to the town centre, we went out for breakfast each morning. As a result we cannot really comment on the quality of the food but the restaurant did look very nice as we passed...and it also seemed well attended, which is generally a good sign.

The location of the hotel in relation to the town centre is excellent...and it genuinely is a very short walk to the Train Station. This makes it suitable for most travellers.

The hotel is not the height of luxury and may be a little 'tired' in some areas but it was clean and comfortable, with friendly staff. For a short stay we didn't need much more than that! We will look to stay here again and we would recommend it to anyone on a similar visit to the area!

Room Tip: We got a double room with a cot, rather than a family room (with an extra single bed) as this allowe...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
PEG80, Manager at The St. James Hotel Grimsby, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2013

Thank you for your feedback on the St James and thank you for the praise you have about the staff i will pass on to them. next time you visit the St James will look forwad to seeing you we will have are new coffee concept up and running to welcome you

Reviewed 23 October 2013

We stayed in at st James hotel Grimsby for a weekend. when we arrived the staff were very helpful, they saw we had a baby and moved us into a different room,The room was clean and the maids where helpful and friendly. The breakfast was great with continental and full English. No charge for what my grandson ate.I would strongly recommend this hotel and we will be staying again, when we are up visiting family next year. Thank you for making our stay so enjoyable

• Stayed: October 2013
PEG80, Manager at The St. James Hotel Grimsby, responded to this reviewResponded 14 November 2013

Dear Guest
Thank you it nice to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay at the St James and the service you had i will share with all at staff about your comments looking forward to welcoming you back next time in Grimsby once again thank you for taking the time to add your vreview on tripadvisor

Paul George.