“Good service and excellent breakfast.”

The St. James Hotel Grimsby
Ranked #9 of 10 Hotels in Grimsby
London, United Kingdom
“Good service and excellent breakfast.”
Reviewed 7 February 2014

Whilst the decor is clearly outdated and tired, the room was very clean and comfortable, the customer service was good and breakfast was outstanding, both in terms of choice and quality. Good value for a town centre hotel. Would happily stay again.

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank Lck23
PEG80, General Manager at The St. James Hotel Grimsby, responded to this review, 13 February 2014
Dear Guest,
I appreciate your kind comments and look forward to welcoming you back again soon! Thank you.
General manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 February 2014 via mobile

It the first time I had stayed in Grimsby and this hotel was picked for me. The hotel had a very central location and the parking facilities were good. Booking in was efficient, but not very welcoming. The hotel had a very 70's feel to it and it felt and looked tired. Uncared for!
The room itself was clean, but the bath was not. There were hairs in and around it. I had to clean the bath before I got in it.
The windows appeared to be single glazed and rattled most of the night due to the wind and the rain
The restaurant was roomy. The menu was not an extensive one and was expensive. Main meal started around £14.00. I had lamb shank, which was crispy and tough as old boots. I do not mind paying a fair price for food if the quality had been good.
Breakfast was what you would expect, full English but was not cooked to order. It was buffet style.
During my over night stay, I did not see one member of staff smile. It was a very unfriendly place.
I will not be staying again.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank shelley k
Dear Guest,
I appreciate your feedback. I can only apologise for the unacceptable cleanliness you experienced within the bathroom. This is not our normal standard and I only wish that you had raised the issue at the time so that we could have rectified the problem and perhaps offered you a new room.
We are in the process of replacing our evening menus, which will be available from the end of February. Again I am sorry that you were not made aware of this.
Our buffet style breakfast remains a popular choice with our business guests as they don’t have as much time in the morning to have a cooked to order breakfast. We will however cook to order on request.
general manager
I can only refer you to our previous reviews with regards to the friendliness and exceptional service of our staff.

Travellers are raving about these Grimsby hotels

Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 January 2014

We stayed for a week the rooms were ok clean and comfy, breakfasts buffet style , what the hotel misses in decor is made up by the superb staff who would bend over backwards to help you and as far as I'm concerned is great for someone who does not know the area.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank MrsH49
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your kind words, I too am very proud to have such wonderful staff. We look forward to seeing you again soon!
General manager
Staffordshire, England
Reviewed 15 January 2014 via mobile

I visited for 2 nights on business so the hotel was booked by my employer. On looking at the reviews I was a little concerned.

I think this is a classic case of getting what you pay for.

Was the room & the hotel clean? Yes it was.

Did the room provide the necessary, eg bed, bathroom, TV, heat? Yes it did.

Was there a decent breakfast available? Yes there was.

Was there an acceptable & reasonable value evening meal available? Yes there was.

We're the staff helpful & friendly? Yes they were.

Ok, there were a few issues. The decor is very dated. The carpets are very bright & very worn. The carpet extending to the walls of the lift was a bit too much!

On my first night, the service in the restaurant was very slow, it was easy to hear the staff saying they'd never known such a busy Monday night. By my reckoning there were no more than 9 tables occupied. It was certainly a number that should be easily catered for. Maybe communication between the front desk & the kitchen could be improved? This is also evident at breakfast. With less than 30mins breakfast time left, there is still a large amount of hot food on the buffet, some of which has clearly been there sometime. I can only assume this goes to waste every day.

Second night in the restaurant was fine, but only 2 tables occupied.

During my first evening meal, kids outside the hotel were hammering on the fire escape door. The staff noticed & acknowledged this but nobody did anything about it.

During my second meal, there was a Welshman talking very loudly on his mobile phone in the bar area. The content of his call was clearly not suitable for all (his language & views on the funeral of Ariel Sharon were particular highlights!) Again the staff must've noticed this but took no action.

My room was clearly (from looking at other photos on here) one of the more dated. The bath had a few chips in & around it, what I assume to be an overflow pipe stuck out with a rough edge above the bath taps. The bed was very soft & evidently been there sometime, as had the bedding.

As other reviews have mentioned, the noise outside at pub closing time is quite disturbing. Arguments, vomiting, swearing & belching were all evident!

The car park is very difficult to find, especially in the dark. There doesn't appear to be any signs from the main road & if not familiar with the area this can prove tricky.

The wifi was very hit & miss, more miss during my stay. The internet device I was using often said I was connected to a wifi network that had no internet connection.

Having said all this, the location is unbeatable if you need to be in the centre of Grimsby.

One final question, is this a hotel that provides all the basics, if in an unspectacular manner, that requires some modernisation, but most of all is one of, if not THE cheapest in Grimsby?

Yes it is.

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of the St. James Hotel. Unfortunately we are a town centre hotel and have no control of what goes on outside. Quieter rooms can be requested.
We are in the process of changing our evening menu and a booking system has been introduced to help prevent waiting times. Can I also add, all of our meals are cooked to order and certain dishes take longer than others.
We are continually updating rooms within the hotel, all of which now have duvets rather than the previously reviewed blankets.
UK
Reviewed 1 January 2014 via mobile

I booked several weeks in advance for a room for New Years Eve and at the time of booking I checked that the room had a walk in shower as my wife is disabled ... I was assured it had. We arrived mid afternoon and were efficiently checked in. When we got to the room it had an over the bath shower totally unsuitable!! We returned to the reception but we're told that no rooms had a walk in shower.The reception offered to find us an alternative elsewhere but this would have meant a taxi in and out of Grimsby something I wanted to avoid hence booking this hotel! She offered us another free drink and eventually a room reduction of £10 which I accepted. The hotel is very tired and Corus need to invest significant sums of money to bring it up to standard. I have my doubts as to whether the hotel meets legal requirements regarding disability. We stayed here solely for convenience as we were booked for a New Years Celebration at Abby's. Without the hardworking lady on reception our experience of the hotel would have been totally negative. Satisfactory if unspectacular breakfast. doubt I would ever stay here again!!!

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Alidav84uk
PEG80, General Manager at The St. James Hotel Grimsby, responded to this review, 3 January 2014
Dear Guest
In response to your recent comments we are saddened that you feel you have been misguided regarding disabled facilities
in the hotel. We can only state that we do not have such facilities and do not advertise this in any way.

We assure you that our front of house, team are trained to make all potential guests aware of this fact and the facilities that we do offer.

The hotel does meet legal requirements as stated above, unfortunately we do not offer this facility and when guests call the hotel we explain and then it is left up to the guest to make their own decision.

We appreciate your comments regarding the duty receptionist in trying to rectify your issues and we would like to apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Yours sincerely

Grimsby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 January 2014 via mobile

My husband booked us into here for New Years Eve as it was close to where we were going....never ever again!
I'm disabled and we were told that they had walk in showers in the rooms so that was fine, when we arrived and went to our room I found it to have a bath in the bathroom (no shower) went downstairs to ask to change our room only to be told 'we don't have ANY disabled rooms' I was astounded that in this day and age this could happen. We were offered £10 off our room and the lady on the desk couldn't say sorry enough times.
This hotel is stuck firmly in the 70s and should be raised to the ground and built to today's standards.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 827SharonH
Dear Sharon

Yours sincerely

Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 December 2013 via mobile

I only arrived very late and then left immediately after breakfast so experience is somewhat limited. However, a few things did give cause for comment. First, the free drink on arrival was a nice touch that I was not expecting. Second, the bed was quite small. This was not too much of any issue being solo, but I would not have been comfortable sharing the small double with my wife. Third, breakfast - the same old buffet service with comedy eggs and cardboard bacon. For a single night it was fine at the price.

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
PEG80, General Manager at The St. James Hotel Grimsby, responded to this review, 23 December 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at the Hotel. I was dissapointed to read your comments and can assure you that this will be taking up with the team. In regards to the beds there are all a standard size 4.6ft double bed. The breakfast we offer is alway recommended highly by many guest so i was shocked to read that the breakfast was not up to standard. I will investigate the issues you raised.
I thank you for your comments and i hope you will visit again so that we can reassure you that this is not the nromal standard we offer.