“Rubbish” 2 of 5 bubbles

The St. James Hotel Grimsby
Ranked #9 of 10 Hotels in Grimsby
“Rubbish”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed for 4 nights , breakfast ok but on a night very hot and with it been noisy outside couldn't get to sleep with windows open . Would definitely not stay here again. Looked as if it had been just painted but was very dated.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank John H
PEG80, General Manager at The St. James Hotel Grimsby, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I would like to apologise for the issues you experienced during your stay. I hope you can appreciate that been in the town centre make it difficult for us to control because we have not control for what happen out side the hotel. but on saying that Your feedback is extremely important to us and the issues you experienced will certainly be addressed. Thank you once again
Paul Grantley

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Grimsby, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014 via mobile

Room was very clean and tidy, bed really comfy didn't wanna get out.. Only downfall is our window overlooked the bins and the smell wasn't very pleasant. Food was ok and the service, would stay again ..

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank rebecca s
PEG80, General Manager at The St. James Hotel Grimsby, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of The St. James Hotel. I’m pleased to read that your room, bed, food & service were all satisfactory during your visit to Grimsby. I will however investigate the unpleasant odour that you mentioned as this is the first issue of its kind.
Sheffield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

Hotel in the middle of grimsby close to all amenities and 5 minutes away from train station.Clean white soft towels every day.Laura Ashley toiliteries replaced everyday and nice polite staff a very nice break.

Room Tip: all the rooms seem to be ok
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank kathd1945
Dear Guest
Pleased to read that you had a pleasant stay at The St. James Hotel, Grimsby. We look forward to seeing you again on your return to the area. Many thanks!
Sussex
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

Hotel is good for a budget hotel. View over the square is great. Close to station. Food fine and service friendly. Noise outside from yelling youths has been terrible tonight ( it is a Tuesday night / Wednesday morning). As the main reason I stay at a hotel is to get some sleep and this has been elusive I have given a 2 overall - though my lay in bed has been relatively comfortable.

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Chuckini
Dear Guest
Thank you for your feedback, I appreciate all comments be it negative or positive as it helps me to move the hotel forward. Unfortunately on this occasion all I can offer is an apology for your interrupted sleep. The hotel and its staff have no control over what happens in the public square and I have made a point of advising that we are a town centre based hotel on our webpage. The noise disturbance you experienced isn’t a regular occurrence and quieter rooms can be requested. I’m a little disappointed that you have scored the hotel so low based on external factors. I do hope you will return to the hotel.
Paul Grantley

Travellers are raving about these Grimsby hotels

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2014 via mobile

The hotel is near the railway station near to quite a pretty church, although the hotel itself is an ugly building and Grimsby certainly not the most attractive of places. Check in staff were pleasant enough but not particularly friendly. The whole building looked as if it needed some modernisation, stairs to the rooms looking very tired and worn and the corridors looked more like a prison than a hotel! Some pictures or flowers would help. The room I had was satisfactory, nothing more. Pillows were of a poor quality and you need at least 2. During the night it was possible to hear people walking through the park near the church, frankly some of the language used was unpleasant. Breakfast was again ok but a noticeable lack of fruit. The hot food was just ok, fried eggs hard and bacon a poor quality. Overall, if you have to stop in Grimsby, although I doubt anyone in the hotel was a tourist, it will do for one night.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
PEG80, Manager at The St. James Hotel Grimsby, responded to this review, 16 May 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your feedback of The St. James Hotel. I am sorry to hear you had a poor experience on this occasion. I am aware that the hotel is tired and dated but at present, money is being invested in other areas of the hotel such as bedrooms. Unfortunately I have no control over external noise but quieter rooms can be requested. I am in the process of reviewing our menus and shall take your comments on board with regards to the breakfast standard you received. I apologise for the poor quality of breakfast you had, this is not of our usual high standard and I shall investigate further. I hope you will give me the opportunity to change your review of the hotel should you choose to stay here again.
Montreal, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014

Myself and my husband stayed here for a couple of nights during a quick visit from Canada to see family. Having read the reviews, I didn't expect much so wasn't let down. We picked it for it's convenience, cost and free parking. We also got two complimentary drinks.
Our room was supposedly one of the refurbished rooms but I'm not sure how, it was very basic bordering on tatty, the bed was tiny with springs sticking out, the duvet was too small and the pillows were insufficient, towels also tiny. We were awoken by drunken louts shouting outside our room all night and the power in our room went off during the night, as we were in a rush to leave the next morning, we couldn't get this rectified in time to get ready properly. On a positive note, the staff were extremely friendly, pleasant and polite. We had a small lunch in the restaurant and service was nice and the food was perfectly fine. Good location if you want to be in the centre of Grimsby. This hotel was saved from a slating purely because decent staff are rare. I would have ranked 2 stars if not for the staff.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
PEG80, General Manager at The St. James Hotel Grimsby, responded to this review, 16 May 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of The St. James Hotel. It sounds to me as though you weren’t given one of the lightly refurbished rooms when you stayed in January. Please let us rectify this upon your return to Grimsby by allocating you a quiet refurbished bedroom. I can only apologise that you were left with no power to your room. Somehow the power had tripped in your room and we would have no knowing of this without your saying so therefore unable to resolve the issue until you had departed. Since your stay, all bedrooms have been equipped with large bath towels. I am pleased my staff exceeded your expectations, they are a credit to my hotel. I hope we get the opportunity to change your view of the hotel should you ever need accommodating in Grimsby again.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2014 via mobile

Staff are really polite and professional average nights sleep, does need a complete refurb as the place is looking a bit dated however the breakfast was really good
A would stay here again but only a business term and not personal as a think premier inn offers more

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
PEG80, General Manager at The St. James Hotel Grimsby, responded to this review, 14 May 2014
Dear Jay
Thank you for your review regarding your stay at the St James Hotel.
I am up dating the hotel with a soft refurbishment, on a small scale which proberly does not show as much as one large project. I am please that the staff make up for the out dated hotel and made your stay pleasurable.
Thank you once again.
General manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Grimsby
Holiday Inn Express Grimsby
Healing Manor Hotel
Healing Manor Hotel
#1 of 1 in Healing
Premier Inn Cleethorpes Hotel

Been to The St. James Hotel Grimsby? Share your experiences!