“Two worlds”

The St. James Hotel Grimsby
Ranked #9 of 10 Hotels in Grimsby
Reviewed 27 June 2014

The fact this hotel is rated 5th best in Grimsby says more about the lack of a decent hotel in the Town centre than St James. It feels tired and the building is ugly. Hopefully these days it would never be allowed to built opposite the beautiful Grimsby Minister. It's just alright! The staff are ok, they had real trouble fining a pen."bring it back it's the only one we have"
The bar area is ok has the feeling your on the set of Benidorm.
Room was ok needs investment. breakfast ample though there was a hair in it. There was a nail sticking out the seat which caught my trousers. The margarine one empty and one liquid filled.
It's dry it's warm and the tea is wet but it's very much a B&B a contractors hotel!!

1  Thank concernednortheast
PEG80, General Manager at The St. James Hotel Grimsby, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

I am writing in response to your recent review on trip advisor which you sent to regarding your stay with ourselves at the St James Hotel in Grimsby. As General Manager of this hotel I am deeply saddened by your disappointment with your stay at my establishment.

Just to clarify to date 44 room have had a soft furnishing refurbishment on the second floor. There are 125 bedrooms on site and it is hoped to continue the ongoing refurbishment. Unfortunately the second floor rooms were already allocated when your reservation came through.

I was surprised to read your comment about the breakfast as usually the feedback from the guests is one of satisfaction with the service on offer.

Thank you again for your feed back.

Reviewed 18 June 2014 via mobile

Due to shortage of hotels in Grimsby, everything else was fully booked, I was unfortunate to spend the night at the St James.
My biggest disappointment is the beds / mattress' - The thinnest, cheapest, uncomfortable mattress I have ever slept on . You can clearly feel the nasty springs, which resulted in the worst night's sleep of a lifetime.
The room was very hot - had the window open all night and the noise from the area was as described in previous reviews, youth, rubbish collection, bottles bashing.
All this for £78 .
It is obvious the Corus Group up keeps this hotel at the lowest possible cost and take advantage of the lack of hotels in Grimsby. Room and public areas looks to be neglected fresh paint and general maintenance for years.
I could have ignored all of this because the business pays for accommodation, I wouldn't even stay here, if you paid me .
Terrible
Needless to say I will not recommended and will nerver stay here again

1  Thank Torbenlondon

dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I would like to apologise for the issues you experience during your stay. The hotel is undergoing a soft up grade to improve the image of the hotel and the beds are one of the items we are up grading. but as you can appreciate that this will take a long time because of the size of the hotel. Your feedback is extremely important to us and the issues you experienced will certainly be addressed. Thank you once again

Reviewed 16 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed for 4 nights , breakfast ok but on a night very hot and with it been noisy outside couldn't get to sleep with windows open . Would definitely not stay here again. Looked as if it had been just painted but was very dated.

2  Thank John H

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I would like to apologise for the issues you experienced during your stay. I hope you can appreciate that been in the town centre make it difficult for us to control because we have not control for what happen out side the hotel. but on saying that Your feedback is extremely important to us and the issues you experienced will certainly be addressed. Thank you once again

Reviewed 29 May 2014 via mobile

Room was very clean and tidy, bed really comfy didn't wanna get out.. Only downfall is our window overlooked the bins and the smell wasn't very pleasant. Food was ok and the service, would stay again ..

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank rebecca s
PEG80, General Manager at The St. James Hotel Grimsby, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2014

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of The St. James Hotel. I’m pleased to read that your room, bed, food & service were all satisfactory during your visit to Grimsby. I will however investigate the unpleasant odour that you mentioned as this is the first issue of its kind.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Hotel in the middle of grimsby close to all amenities and 5 minutes away from train station.Clean white soft towels every day.Laura Ashley toiliteries replaced everyday and nice polite staff a very nice break.

Room Tip: all the rooms seem to be ok
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kathd1945

Dear Guest
Pleased to read that you had a pleasant stay at The St. James Hotel, Grimsby. We look forward to seeing you again on your return to the area. Many thanks!
General manager

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Hotel is good for a budget hotel. View over the square is great. Close to station. Food fine and service friendly. Noise outside from yelling youths has been terrible tonight ( it is a Tuesday night / Wednesday morning). As the main reason I stay at a hotel is to get some sleep and this has been elusive I have given a 2 overall - though my lay in bed has been relatively comfortable.

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Chuckini

Dear Guest
Thank you for your feedback, I appreciate all comments be it negative or positive as it helps me to move the hotel forward. Unfortunately on this occasion all I can offer is an apology for your interrupted sleep. The hotel and its staff have no control over what happens in the public square and I have made a point of advising that we are a town centre based hotel on our webpage. The noise disturbance you experienced isn’t a regular occurrence and quieter rooms can be requested. I’m a little disappointed that you have scored the hotel so low based on external factors. I do hope you will return to the hotel.

Reviewed 10 May 2014

The hotel is near the railway station near to quite a pretty church, although the hotel itself is an ugly building and Grimsby certainly not the most attractive of places. Check in staff were pleasant enough but not particularly friendly. The whole building looked as if it needed some modernisation, stairs to the rooms looking very tired and worn and the corridors looked more like a prison than a hotel! Some pictures or flowers would help. The room I had was satisfactory, nothing more. Pillows were of a poor quality and you need at least 2. During the night it was possible to hear people walking through the park near the church, frankly some of the language used was unpleasant. Breakfast was again ok but a noticeable lack of fruit. The hot food was just ok, fried eggs hard and bacon a poor quality. Overall, if you have to stop in Grimsby, although I doubt anyone in the hotel was a tourist, it will do for one night.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
PEG80, Manager at The St. James Hotel Grimsby, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your feedback of The St. James Hotel. I am sorry to hear you had a poor experience on this occasion. I am aware that the hotel is tired and dated but at present, money is being invested in other areas of the hotel such as bedrooms. Unfortunately I have no control over external noise but quieter rooms can be requested. I am in the process of reviewing our menus and shall take your comments on board with regards to the breakfast standard you received. I apologise for the poor quality of breakfast you had, this is not of our usual high standard and I shall investigate further. I hope you will give me the opportunity to change your review of the hotel should you choose to stay here again.
General manager