“freaky 70's decor but rooms are spotless, staff fantastic. food reasonably priced”

The St. James Hotel Grimsby
Ranked #9 of 10 Hotels in Grimsby
Reviewed 1 February 2011

The first time I arrived at this hotel I was shocked by the crazy 70’s decor. That aside, I have now stayed on a few occasions one of which was for 11 days instead of 5 due to the terrible weather just before Christmas. During this time the staff were amazing and did absolutely everything they could to help people. Everyone from reception to restaurant staff and housekeeping made a terrible situation bearable. In general this hotel is geared up for people who stay for business/ work reasons so reception are happy to print, photocopy etc, etc for you. Everywhere is spotless and the bathrooms have a good size bath along with a shower. The beds are comfy and there is free WIFI throughout. Breakfast has everything you need. Dinner is reasonably priced if you eat from the bar menu and portion sizes are generous. If you need to go to Grimsby for work, stay here. It’s not the Ritz but it has everything you need in a clean, friendly environment.

Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business
PEG80, General Manager at The St. James Hotel Grimsby, responded to this reviewResponded 26 October 2011

Thank you so much for your nice review, we are very proud of the hotel and team, and its always nice when our guests recognise us too.

Wishing you well, hope to personally meet you next time you visit.

Regards

Reviewed 22 October 2010

A bit of faded elegance here, the hotel was clearly once quite grand but is not very tired. The second floor rooms have been refurbished but the reception and restaurant are still shabby.

It is the staff that make this a good place to stay. They cannot do enough to recommend places to eat and generally make sure you are comfortable.

The restaurant is ok, although the menu is uninspiring. The breakfast buffet is, on the other hand, really rather good. Nice sausages and bacon, black pudding freshly prepared and kippers or haddock to order.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
PEG80, Manager at The St. James Hotel Grimsby, responded to this reviewResponded 24 September 2012

Dear Keith
Thank you for your comments regarding your stay at the hotel.
I agree that when the refurbishment is completed it will bring the hotel up to a pleasent moden look. We know we have a long way to go but we are progressing.
I look forward to welcoming you back.
Kind regards

Reviewed 17 October 2010

My son and his wife held their wedding reception at the St James Hotel on the 9th of October2010.Where myself and family stayed for two nights. Due to the attention to detail provided by the staff everything went very well and the food and service could not be faulted. The breakfasts where out of this world with good quality bacon and sausages on the menu. The hotel is a bit dated but this is more then compensated for by the quality of the managment and staff. Thanks to everyone involved for making my sons day special.

Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
PEG80, General Manager at The St. James Hotel Grimsby, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2013

Dear Guest
Thank you for your comment regarding your son wedding which you held at my hotel.
I am so happy that the day went to plan.
I thank you again for your review.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.
Kind regards
General manager

Reviewed 23 September 2010

Excellent location if you need the centre of Grimsby (which I did). Free parking and free wi-fi are a bonus.
But the decor is tired and jaded. In my room the bathroom door was painted in undercoat only and the bath enamel was chipped.
The lift is old (but still works, thankfully!) This hotel needs some money spending on it!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business
PEG80, General Manager at The St. James Hotel Grimsby, responded to this reviewResponded 23 January 2013

Dear Guest
Thank you very much for taking the time to review our hotel. I am really pleased you enjoyed our facilities and that the staff made your visit worthwhile. As you will see by previous comments we are upgrading rooms within the hotel which will take time but I am sure when they are finished you will be pleased with the result.
Thank you again for your review, it is very warming to hear the positive remarks from our guests and I look forward to welcoming you again in the future.

Reviewed 27 August 2010

Just come back from st. james hotel on a bus tour.
The room was clean and spacious, and the staff very helpful
The breakfast in the morning was acceptable, but the evening meals at 7pm. were
very poor quality, and the sevice was slow, we were all crammed together on long
tables. There was no entertainment qvailable at this hotel except for the hooligans
who congregated outside nightly, they spoiled a nice area between the Hotel and
the Church opposite. One good point the Hotel was very near an excellent shpping
centre

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 25 August 2010

I stayed at the St James Hotel on the 22nd August for a concert at the Auditorium. I'd seen a few of these reviews and was apprehensive. I wondered if I had the right room when I went in - a lovely huge room, and yes it was clean! Plenty of tea/coffee and milk, always a winner with me as I'm a caffeine addict.

Now we come to my one gripe - I had to ask for the housekeeper to help me to get the button to move to change the bath taps over to the shower (that doesn't make much sense I know, I mean it was one of those mixer showers.) She said "Oh it just works like this..." well, she was right, but please hotel staff, if someone's having difficulty working something, that overused little word "just" is quite hurtful, it suggests "a child of five could do this". In fact, why not get rid of some/all of your bathrooms and change to walk-in showers in this day and age? It would certainly save water (and time!)

However, that's the only problem I had - the shower was great once it was working, and I would stay at this hotel again any time.

Oh, and I had an excellent night's sleep on the so-called "uncomfortable" bed. I've paid a heck of a lot more for much worse places.

I can't comment on breakfast because I booked the room only package.

I personally think a lot of these reviewers are just greedy and they want five-star luxury for budget prices. And no I'm not related to the hotel owners, I believe in praise (and honest criticism) where it's due.

Good location, great room, pesky shower but lovely helpful staff.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled solo

Reviewed 22 August 2010

Just returned from an excellent Glenton Tour which was based at the St James Hotelm Griismby. The hotel is ideally located in the town and provides very good value for money. The customer service is first class and hotel offers good, clean accommodation. The ongoing refurbishment will no doubt add further features.

• Stayed: August 2010