“Probably the best hotel in Grimsby”
Review of Humber Royal Hotel

Humber Royal Hotel
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Grimsby
Nottinghamshire, England
“Probably the best hotel in Grimsby”
Reviewed 28 November 2012

I spend a lot of time in Grimsby working right now, and if I can't stay in the Humber Royal I'd rather just travel home instead.

The rooms are comfy, we furnished, with free wifi.

The staff are always friendly and helpful.

The food is always tasty and well prepared.

Thoroughly recommend.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
Humberab, General Manager at Humber Royal Hotel, responded to this review, 14 January 2013
Thank you for posting a review following your visit to the hotel. I was really pleased to read that you consider The Humber Royal Hotel your number one choice in Grimsby, We aim to offer home from home comforts to all our guests so they can relax and enjoy their time with us. Many thanks for your recommendation - I hope to speak with you personally when you next visit.

Anne Bennett

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
uk
Reviewed 11 November 2012

First time at this hotel, good location, rooms are average size but clean and well equipped, staff are extremely friendly, food was of a high standard and eager to please.. Free parking, free wifi and overall was impressed when compared to other hotels in the Grimsby area.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
Grimsby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 November 2012 via mobile

We stayed here at the end of June 2012. My husband booked the one and only disabled room, I was very disappointed with a lot of things
A) room was down the end of a long corridor and all the doors along this pulled outward so if I'd been in my wheelchair I couldn't have opened them.
B) again if I was in my chair I couldn't have got round the bedroom it was so small.
C) bathroom didn't have non slip flooring, toilet was just normal/not raised and no handles to help get up or down from it.
When we raised these queries at the desk the lady said 'oh we do have bath mats here at the desk'
Needless to say we won't be staying there again. But we did have a nice day/evening at our friends wedding receptions.

Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank 827SharonH
Humberab, General Manager at Humber Royal Hotel, responded to this review, 16 November 2012
I was sorry to learn that you felt the hotel was not 'disable friendly' when you visited us earlier this year. As part of our on going investment we have made the hotel fully DDA compliant throughout our ground floor public areas. We did incorporate a disabled friendly room in our last phase of bedroom improvements. This had only recently come on line prior to your visit. I appreciate that it is located at the end of a corridor but this does allow direct access to the room if the guest is wheelchair bound. Since you visited the hotel in June we have introduced some additional 'door guard ' controls to allow easier access to this room. I can assure you that the bedroom has been set up to allow full rotational movement of wheelchairs around the bed area and that this was assessed by building control.

The flooring to the walk-in shower/wet room area is non-slip according to manufacturer’s literature and was a key consideration when the room was developed. Your comments regarding handles and toilet height are valid and we will endeavour to make some improvements as a result of your constructive feedback. Since your stay bath mats have become a standard feature in this room.

Since we launched this room in April we have received feedback from a number of both able-bodied and disabled guests and aim to make enhancements where possible as a result of this, including literature in the bedrooms advising guests how to obtain any additional services or amenities they may require.

Many thanks for your constructive feedback, we will aim to introduce further improvements as a result of your comments.

Bridgend, Wales
Reviewed 2 November 2012

Nice quiet Hotel, Lovely bedroom and sleep. Very clean. We were there for a weekend attending Wedding reception at City hall. Staff very helpful. In spite of a wedding going on, hotel was quiet. Will stay again.

Room Tip: Book a room facing Golf course
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
I was pleased to read that you had an enjoyable weekend when you visited us early this month. It's always reassuring to hear that our guests have a good nights sleep when they stay with us! Many thanks for recognising the helpfulness of the team at the hotel and acknowledging that although we may have events occurring at weekends we do aim to accommodate and service the needs of all guests to the very highest standards. I appreciate you were visiting the area for a special occasion, but hope we may see you again when you next visit the area.

Hertfordshire, UK
Reviewed 24 October 2012

Nice rooms. Internet didn't work for me. No gym/pool. Basic amenities but very good food - other than the carbonara which was disgusting - pasta in cream, no taste and no parmesan. Staff great, very friendly, professional and knowledgeable.

• Stayed October 2012
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Reviewed 8 October 2012

I have stayed in this hotel for over 10 weeks for business, I found on arrival a shock that the outside does look Los and dated as though stuck in the 70's BUt this only proves that never judge a book by the cover !!
The hotel is listed and only minimal work can be done on outside

Inside its is really smart, a lot of money has been spent on this hotel, check their website, the rooms and clean smart looking and kept very clean. Some rooms have balcony overlooking the golf course this makes the rooms light and airy

The reception is very smart and front of house staff are friendly and go out their way to help guests and even long stayers like myself

The restaurant is light and airy with a main menu and a specials menu every day, the staff are really friendly and just like the reception staff always go out their way to help and give the guest what they want.

The house keeping staff again are helpful and do their best to help you, even a bigger mug for your coffee !!

If there was a moan, and trust me its only small, the menu, although has just changed (oct) if your a long stayer like myself can get boring so its good to have the specials menu which does change daily

Overall a great hotel, great staff, and would recommend this to anyone travelling to Grimsby area for pleasure or work.

• Stayed July 2012
Humberab, General Manager at Humber Royal Hotel, responded to this review, 16 October 2012
Dear Nigel
Many thanks for posting your kind comments onto TripAdvisor. It was very pleasing to hear that all departments had contributed to making your long stay with us enjoyable and adding that little bit more wherever possible. We do try to offer home from home comforts and service to all our guests, but particularly those who are staying with us for any great length of time. As you pointed out we do have daily specials to add variety and extra choice to our menus and are always willing to respond to individual guests’ requests from beans on toast to beef stroganoff if possible.
I can confirm our new menu was launched last week and as usual comprises of lots of locally sourced fine ingredients, hopefully you will get to try it when you next visit our area. Thanks again for your feedback it really helps to keep us all motivated to keep improving our guests experience with us.

Dumfries, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 September 2012

This was my first stay at the Royal Humber and I have to say I a bit worried when I pulled into the car park. As mentioned by other reviewers, the building won't win any beauty awards but things are very different the moment you step through the door. The interior of the building appears to have undergone a full refurbishment and it modern and well presented

The bedrooms have had the same treatment as the rest of the interior so they are clean and well appointed. Large comfy bed, new bathroom and plenty of tea and coffee, everything you need for a peaceful nights sleep.

Free WiFi in the room was a bit on the slow side but still worked well.

The was plenty of choice of food in the restaurant and what I had was tasty and well cooked. The same has to be said for breakfast, a good choice of cereals, toast and full English if you so desire.

Every member of staff I spoke to was friendly and helpful so a big thumbs up for customer service.

I would stay again when I am in the area and would recommend it. If you haven't stayed before then it is worth a try.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
Dear guest
Good to hear you enjoyed your first stay with us; I hope it will be the first of many. Thanks for highlighting the wide array of facilities we have on offer in both rooms and public areas. As many of our menu items as possible are sourced locally and meals are prepared to order to ensure a fresh and tasty offering. I appreciate that service makes the difference and appreciate greatly your ‘thumbs up’ with regard to customer service…………this goes a long way towards confirming that we’re getting it right! Hope to see you again soon.

Anne Bennett
Also consider these accommodations in or near Grimsby
Best Western Oaklands Hall Hotel
The Yarborough Hotel
The Yarborough Hotel
#5 of 10 in Grimsby
Brackenborough Hotel

Been to Humber Royal Hotel? Share your experiences!