“"We wish all hotels had staff like this!"”
Review of Humber Royal Hotel

Humber Royal Hotel
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Grimsby
Reviewed 28 April 2013

Our family room over looking the golf course was spacious, comfortable and spotless. Having made a request to book in early which was more convenient for us, we were told "no problem" and this attitude set the tone for our over night stay. All the staff were friendly, warm and professional, and couldn't do enough to make us feel welcome. After having a light lunch on arrival, I commented on the excellent soup I'd had, sweet potato and leek, and almost jokingly said I'd have to get the recipe. Our waitress went back reported my praise to the chef and came back clutching the recipe. Later on in the evening we returned back to the hotel with a large group of family members (our visit was for a surprise party for a family member) and all eighteen of us went into the bistro and bar area. we were sitting at separate tables. The staff realized this and without us asking came over and helped us reorganize the furniture, again showing how accommodating they were. They also made us bacon butties on request! Breakfast the following morning was lovely. We cannot fault the hotel or the staff in any way.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Humberab, General Manager at Humber Royal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2013

Dear Guest

Thanks for posting such a complimentary review onto TripAdvisor. It sounds like you had a great stay with us last month. We do try to encourage all employees to go above and beyond wherever possible to exceed guests’ expectations -it certainly sounds as though this was the case during your visit!
Thanks for spreading the word – hope to see you when you next visit the area.

Reviewed 14 April 2013

To be honest this hotel was not my first choice but booked it on the strength of the reviews as the hotel I normally use was fully booked.
Upon arriving and checking in the reception staff was friendly and welcoming, this continued with every member of staff I meet, be it in the bar, restaurant at breakfast or just meeting a member of staff in a corridor. All members of staff are a credit to this hotel and receive a “Well done” and “Thank you” from me.
Room was very clean, in very good order, up to date decor with looks over the golf course a comfortable place to work, relax and sleep for the week I was there.
Bad points........none.
This hotel will be my first choice when returning to the area, I hope the experience then will be just as good.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business

Dear guest
Great to hear that you have found one of Grimsby best kept secrets – The Humber Royal Hotel! I’m really pleased that my team at the hotel appears to have made the difference and put us to the top of your list of hotels in Grimsby. Yes, we have a fantastic product, but it is people who make the difference – I can assure you that your ‘Well done’ and ‘Thank you’ will be shared with everyone. It’s always encouraging to know that our efforts are appreciated. Please be assured that these levels of service are standard throughout, as are the high levels of cleanliness and a comfortable night’s sleep.
Looking forward to welcoming you back, hopefully as a regular guest going forward.
Best wishes

Reviewed 9 April 2013

If you've read any of my reviews, youll know that to hit 5* im looking for that WoW factor. On my most recent return to the Humber Royal, one year from my wedding, I got just that....WOW.

The welcome was brilliant, the room excellent, the breakfast amazing, but the thing that made it for me was that the majority of staff remembered me and my wife, who had returned for our anniversary, and offered us a complimentary drink as a congratulations!

Truly a great stay and has guaranteed my business the same time next year. Well done.

Room Tip: ask for a corner room ,they're bigger albeit slightly more expensive but worth the money!
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Humberab, General Manager at Humber Royal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 May 2013

Dear Mr & Mrs Mawer

Wow! What else can I say – your review says it all! As you know we host a great number of weddings and events so I, like you, was just as impressed to learn that my team remembered you and helped make your ‘anniversary return visit such as success.

I trust we won’t have to wait another year before you return for a treat!
Thanks again!

Reviewed 30 March 2013

What more could you ask for?...

The Humber Royal Hotel & Brasserie in Grimsby, North East Lincolnshire has changed quite a bit over recent years. Many may also be familiar with its previous name - The Queen Elizabeth, but it was actually called The Humber Royal before this.

Recently completely refurbished, the hotel represents a typical 1960's building from the outside and some may say not particularly appealing, but the interior redesign is a completely different story. Recently accredited with its 4 star rating - The Humber Royal has something to offer for everyone whether it be a business stop over or a weekend away. There are 58 rooms in total; 16 standard (very highly equipped) 33 superior, 5 Deluxe & 4 Deluxe Plus (ideal for families as the sofa bed converts to another double bed). The rooms are very spacious and modern in their decor with large flat screen TV in all rooms with over 60 Channels to choose from and the bathrooms are also of a very high standard with power shower and granite surfaces in all but the standard rooms.

We stayed at The Humber Royal for a night whilst our house was in a state of disrepair following a rather unfortunate accident with a bottle of drain cleaner leaving us with no bath or shower to use. We treated ourselves to a Deluxe room which has stunning views across the neighbouring golf course for as far as the eye can see and instead of dining in the Brasserie, after a long and tiring day - we opted to dine in our room and take advantage of the delicious choice of locally sourced produce from the Brasserie menu, which was brought up with a delicious bottle of chilled Champagne.

As already stated, the rooms are very comfortable and after a wonderful shower, meal and a film on TV, we crashed out and didn't wake until the following morning around 9am after a wonderful nights sleep in a fabulous bed fully refreshed and just in time for a delicious full breakfast at the Brasserie. Although I chose the traditional breakfast, there was also a full continental compliment as well as smoked salmon and scrambled eggs which my wife opted for.

Although we stayed on at the hotel on this occasion, I have also attended many events held in the large and spacious function suite which is perfect for weddings and parties or even large corporate events with their excellent conference facilities available to be taken advantage of.

All staff are very friendly and helpful and nothing seems too much trouble, which is exactly what you need after a hard day and what you expect when you pay for quality food and accommodation. Overall, I would struggle to find fault with the Humber Royal Hotel, and in recent times I have come to expect and demand very high standards from the hotels I choose to stay in whether for business or pleasure, and I have to also add that we have paid a lot more for a lot less in other hotels.

If it is a convenient hotel you are looking for in an easy to find location within easy reach of all local amenities and at an affordable price - which is not always an easy to obtain - then The Humber Royal ticks all the right boxes. The only critical point I could add (which is only so I dont appear completely biased) would be the rather aged look from the roadside, but that is merely cosmetic and something I'm sure the management and owners are fully aware of - watch this space as they say.

A***** Highly Recommended Hotel.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear John and Nina
Thank you so much for your amazing review - you certainly made our day, if not our year!! As a regular visitor to both this hotel and other venues in the area I really appreciate your comments. You’ve done an excellent job of describing our extensive facilities – many thanks for spreading the word!
The whole team and I work together constantly striving to deliver a friendly, professional and quality service throughout, so comments such as yours give us a tremendous boost and confirm that we are definitely moving in the right direction.
As you say we’re not too pretty form the outside, but well worth a venture indoors.
Hope to see you again soon
Best wishes

Reviewed 21 March 2013

Stayed on business, room was spacious and modern. Bathroom was fresh and towels were fluffy. Excellent value for the price. Free WI if is available and breakfast was included. My only gripe was that they as the cheap catering baked beans at breakfast and they were tasteless.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Humberab, General Manager at Humber Royal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2013

Many thanks for posting your review on TripAdvisor, highlighting the great value for money we offer all our guests. You comments are fair with regard to the baked beans! – there’s only one true brand and I’ll certainly remind chef to ensure these are back on our menu going forward. Now that you’ve found us I hope we may have the pleasure of welcoming you back when you next return to Grimsby.

Reviewed 15 March 2013

Upon first view this Hotel looked such a boring monolithic brick building, however one cant judge a book by it cover, as inside the more updated refurbishment was very comfortable. I found the staff in the reception area very helpful, they went out of their way to find some bush walking areas and printed off a map, as I had a spare Sunday before the Business part of my stay began. Room was spacious and comfortable and able to have the temperature adjusted by having an opening window. Even though there was unseasonable snow for March, inside was warm and cosy. The restaurant had sufficient choice for my vegetarian needs. Good breakfast also. Only down side was the sound proofing between my room on second floor at one end, and and the next room that had a family with 3 children. This meant every child squabble carried and every time the door opened and shut with the childrens exploring, was very loud. That was only one night and the remaining 2 of the stay were quiet. Thank you.

Room Tip: Perhaps top floor may be quieter and the room on the afternoon sun end windows got sun pouring in on...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business

Many thanks for you kind comments. It was great to hear the reception team had assisted you in your ‘bush’ walking – Grimsby certainly has more to offer than most people know! I’m glad you found plenty of choice on the menus to meet your vegetarian requirements. Unfortunately the weekend of your stay did coincide with a large family party; hence the extra noise and excitable children, we do normally offer high levels of peace and quiet to our residents! Hope to see you again when you next visit the area.

Reviewed 28 February 2013

This hotel is located in a pleasant residential area outside of the Grimsby town itself with a pleasant view overlooking a golf course which is not connected with the hotel. It is an easy drive to the motorways. Seems popular with many business people. When the hotel is full you will need to reserve a table for dinner so ask how full it is when you check in. There is nowhere nice to eat nearby! The rooms are clean, spacious and comfortable. I have stayed here a few times on business. The staff are always friendly and helpful.

The breakfast is good with freshly cooked full English and a range of cereals, fruit and bread. No croissants though and no continental cheese etc. . The dinners are usually good although it can vary slightly in quality for some reason. The chef will vary your dish if you ask.
Room service is good too.

Free wi fi available although it does not seem to be effective if you are up on the 4th floor.
The bar offers a good range of drinks for the tired businessman and the service is friendly and polite.

Overall, a good place to stay if you are in Grimsby or surrounding area on business.

It is often fully booked.

Room Tip: Ask for a balcony room and get a good view of the attractive golf course.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
Humberab, General Manager at Humber Royal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write such a complimentary review, I'm delighted you enjoyed your business stay and highlighted our 4 star offering, which was enhanced by the levels of service you encountered. Your comments are very fair; complimenting our strengths and pointing out a couple of areas where we can perhaps review and make amendments to the products and service on offer. It’s really good to know that you consider us a ‘good place’ to stay when in Grimsby, here’s hoping to see you again in the not too distant future.