“What an Improvement!”
Review of Humber Royal Hotel

Humber Royal Hotel
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Grimsby
Reviewed 15 May 2013

We stayed at the Humber Royal 15 years ago and it was terrible - to say the lest. When we told the current staff of our experience they could not believe it. One or two older ones were less surprised.

Thankfully this has changed. The rooms are spacious, airy and modern - comfortable too. We had dinner there as well and it was fresh, tasty and well presented. The service was good too.

Room Tip: Get a balcony
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Humberab, General Manager at Humber Royal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2013

Dear guest
Yes you will have noticed many improvements since your last visit, not only due to investment but also care and attention by the great team of people employed at the hotel. Thanks for spreading the word on our behalf! - I Hope you don’t leave it has long before you return.

Reviewed 10 May 2013

I have stayed here on business several times now and this hotel is consistently good. Friendly staff, plush reception, bar, restaurant and rooms. Comfy beds, free wifi and lovely breakfasts, what more could the weary traveller need?! Don't be off put by the exterior (which is actually listed), the interior delivers on all levels

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank hotelinspectors71

Dear guest
Many thanks for posting such a complimentary review onto TripAdvisor. More than anything your comments regarding consistency are really appreciated. Across the hotel we have agreed standards and it so good to hear that they are consistently being delivered by all departments. I’ll ensure your feedback is shared with all concerned to help keep us motivated and striving to make further improvements. Hope to see you again soon.
Kind regards

Reviewed 30 April 2013

As above. The hotel wasn't much to look at from the outside but very clean and modern on the inside as I believe it's recently been refurbished. We took our Infant with us as well and there was plenty of room for all our stuff including the travel cot. Would certainly stay here again next time I'm in town.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Humberab, General Manager at Humber Royal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2013

Dear guest
I agree, unfortunately we’re not too pretty from the outside, but well worth a visit inside. Yes the hotel has been tastefully modernised and refurbished inside to a very high standard. Great to hear that you found us 'family friendly’ and topped the visit off with a ‘great’ breakfast. Now that you’ve discovered us we look forward to welcoming you back when your are next in sunny Grimsby.

Reviewed 28 April 2013

Our family room over looking the golf course was spacious, comfortable and spotless. Having made a request to book in early which was more convenient for us, we were told "no problem" and this attitude set the tone for our over night stay. All the staff were friendly, warm and professional, and couldn't do enough to make us feel welcome. After having a light lunch on arrival, I commented on the excellent soup I'd had, sweet potato and leek, and almost jokingly said I'd have to get the recipe. Our waitress went back reported my praise to the chef and came back clutching the recipe. Later on in the evening we returned back to the hotel with a large group of family members (our visit was for a surprise party for a family member) and all eighteen of us went into the bistro and bar area. we were sitting at separate tables. The staff realized this and without us asking came over and helped us reorganize the furniture, again showing how accommodating they were. They also made us bacon butties on request! Breakfast the following morning was lovely. We cannot fault the hotel or the staff in any way.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family

Dear Guest

Thanks for posting such a complimentary review onto TripAdvisor. It sounds like you had a great stay with us last month. We do try to encourage all employees to go above and beyond wherever possible to exceed guests’ expectations -it certainly sounds as though this was the case during your visit!
Thanks for spreading the word – hope to see you when you next visit the area.
Kind regards

Reviewed 14 April 2013

To be honest this hotel was not my first choice but booked it on the strength of the reviews as the hotel I normally use was fully booked.
Upon arriving and checking in the reception staff was friendly and welcoming, this continued with every member of staff I meet, be it in the bar, restaurant at breakfast or just meeting a member of staff in a corridor. All members of staff are a credit to this hotel and receive a “Well done” and “Thank you” from me.
Room was very clean, in very good order, up to date decor with looks over the golf course a comfortable place to work, relax and sleep for the week I was there.
Bad points........none.
This hotel will be my first choice when returning to the area, I hope the experience then will be just as good.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business

Dear guest
Great to hear that you have found one of Grimsby best kept secrets – The Humber Royal Hotel! I’m really pleased that my team at the hotel appears to have made the difference and put us to the top of your list of hotels in Grimsby. Yes, we have a fantastic product, but it is people who make the difference – I can assure you that your ‘Well done’ and ‘Thank you’ will be shared with everyone. It’s always encouraging to know that our efforts are appreciated. Please be assured that these levels of service are standard throughout, as are the high levels of cleanliness and a comfortable night’s sleep.
Looking forward to welcoming you back, hopefully as a regular guest going forward.

Reviewed 9 April 2013

If you've read any of my reviews, youll know that to hit 5* im looking for that WoW factor. On my most recent return to the Humber Royal, one year from my wedding, I got just that....WOW.

The welcome was brilliant, the room excellent, the breakfast amazing, but the thing that made it for me was that the majority of staff remembered me and my wife, who had returned for our anniversary, and offered us a complimentary drink as a congratulations!

Truly a great stay and has guaranteed my business the same time next year. Well done.

Room Tip: ask for a corner room ,they're bigger albeit slightly more expensive but worth the money!
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Humberab, General Manager at Humber Royal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 May 2013

Dear Mr & Mrs Mawer

Wow! What else can I say – your review says it all! As you know we host a great number of weddings and events so I, like you, was just as impressed to learn that my team remembered you and helped make your ‘anniversary return visit such as success.

I trust we won’t have to wait another year before you return for a treat!
Thanks again!

Reviewed 30 March 2013

What more could you ask for?...

The Humber Royal Hotel & Brasserie in Grimsby, North East Lincolnshire has changed quite a bit over recent years. Many may also be familiar with its previous name - The Queen Elizabeth, but it was actually called The Humber Royal before this.

Recently completely refurbished, the hotel represents a typical 1960's building from the outside and some may say not particularly appealing, but the interior redesign is a completely different story. Recently accredited with its 4 star rating - The Humber Royal has something to offer for everyone whether it be a business stop over or a weekend away. There are 58 rooms in total; 16 standard (very highly equipped) 33 superior, 5 Deluxe & 4 Deluxe Plus (ideal for families as the sofa bed converts to another double bed). The rooms are very spacious and modern in their decor with large flat screen TV in all rooms with over 60 Channels to choose from and the bathrooms are also of a very high standard with power shower and granite surfaces in all but the standard rooms.

We stayed at The Humber Royal for a night whilst our house was in a state of disrepair following a rather unfortunate accident with a bottle of drain cleaner leaving us with no bath or shower to use. We treated ourselves to a Deluxe room which has stunning views across the neighbouring golf course for as far as the eye can see and instead of dining in the Brasserie, after a long and tiring day - we opted to dine in our room and take advantage of the delicious choice of locally sourced produce from the Brasserie menu, which was brought up with a delicious bottle of chilled Champagne.

As already stated, the rooms are very comfortable and after a wonderful shower, meal and a film on TV, we crashed out and didn't wake until the following morning around 9am after a wonderful nights sleep in a fabulous bed fully refreshed and just in time for a delicious full breakfast at the Brasserie. Although I chose the traditional breakfast, there was also a full continental compliment as well as smoked salmon and scrambled eggs which my wife opted for.

Although we stayed on at the hotel on this occasion, I have also attended many events held in the large and spacious function suite which is perfect for weddings and parties or even large corporate events with their excellent conference facilities available to be taken advantage of.

All staff are very friendly and helpful and nothing seems too much trouble, which is exactly what you need after a hard day and what you expect when you pay for quality food and accommodation. Overall, I would struggle to find fault with the Humber Royal Hotel, and in recent times I have come to expect and demand very high standards from the hotels I choose to stay in whether for business or pleasure, and I have to also add that we have paid a lot more for a lot less in other hotels.

If it is a convenient hotel you are looking for in an easy to find location within easy reach of all local amenities and at an affordable price - which is not always an easy to obtain - then The Humber Royal ticks all the right boxes. The only critical point I could add (which is only so I dont appear completely biased) would be the rather aged look from the roadside, but that is merely cosmetic and something I'm sure the management and owners are fully aware of - watch this space as they say.

A***** Highly Recommended Hotel.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear John and Nina
Thank you so much for your amazing review - you certainly made our day, if not our year!! As a regular visitor to both this hotel and other venues in the area I really appreciate your comments. You’ve done an excellent job of describing our extensive facilities – many thanks for spreading the word!
The whole team and I work together constantly striving to deliver a friendly, professional and quality service throughout, so comments such as yours give us a tremendous boost and confirm that we are definitely moving in the right direction.
As you say we’re not too pretty form the outside, but well worth a venture indoors.
Hope to see you again soon