“Great room, reception staff not so much!”
Review of Humber Royal Hotel

Humber Royal Hotel
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Grimsby
Reviewed 22 December 2013

We stayed for two nights as we were in grimsby for a friends wedding! We didn't know the area so took this hotel from a suggestion list on our wedding invite.
Upon arrival after a long drive, we were greeted with "what's your name"?!! No 'hello' or 'welcome to the Humber Royal', and no smile either.....same customer service skills on the way out too!! We checked in on Friday 20th dec around 6:30pm ish and checked out just after 11am on the Sunday (22nd) dec!
When we arrived at our room-225, it was very spacious on first glance and all amenities we'd need, however it smelt smokey and all the windows were open, so it was freezing in there....yes in the mid-late December they'd opened the windows....maybe they were trying to get rid of the smoke smell!
Onto room service-took an age to leave phone ringing to order some food but eventually it arrived-it did the job but certainly isn't anything special (and they charge you £5 tray charge) we don't mind paying this if what you get is good!!!
One really annoying issue in the room was the very bright blue light on the tv, when you want to sleep it's not the best thing to have shining very brightly.

So on check out, there was no-one at reception and no bell to attract attention, however someone came after a prompt from another member of staff. We weren't asked how our stay was or if everything was ok, not even a smile and 'good morning', we were just presented with the bill. And not even a thank you once we'd paid..lol! These reception ladies definitely need to have some customer service training!
Would we stay there again if we were in the area......no probably not but it did the job that we needed for a couple of nights!
Merry Christmas reception ladies.....remember smile, it might never happen :-)

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank thecat222
HumberRoyal, General Manager at Humber Royal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2014

Dear Guest,

I was disappointed to read your comments following your recent visit to the hotel. In particularly I was most concerned to learn of the levels of service you encountered at reception both at arrival and departure. I can assure you that this does not reflect our normal high standards of customer care as highlighted in the many reviews here on TripAdvisor. Please accept my personal apologies for these failings, I can assure you that these have been shared with my Reception Manger and her team to ensure corrective training occurs.

We do operate a non-smoking policy throughout the hotel and enforce this within the bedrooms. I have discussed your unsatisfactory experience in the room with the ‘smokey’ smell with the Head Housekeeper, who has since checked and rectified the problem. I can appreciate that it was not good arriving into the cold room and do apologise for the inconvenience caused.

I was sorry that your sleep was disturbed by the blue light in-front of the television which is the sensor for the remote control; unfortunately we can’t block this light as you won’t be able to use the remote. This is the manufacturers design on all the SANYO televisions, as and when we have a need to replace them we will endeavour to ensure this is addressed.

I sincerely hope we may see you again in the future when you next visit the area.

Kind regards,

There are newer reviews for Humber Royal Hotel

Reviewed 16 December 2013

I stayed here for one night while travelling. Greeted by friendly receptionist. Room was warm, clean and comfortable. Room service was prompt and quality of food very good. Equally breakfast very tasty. Very mic stay.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Alex E
HumberRoyal, General Manager at Humber Royal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 December 2013

Dear Alex,

Pleased we could assist you with a bedroom on your travels and that you have experienced everything we stand for – a friendly and welcoming arrival; warm, clean and comfortable bedrooms and quality food. Thank you for taking time to review your stay and hope to see you in the very near future.

Best wishes

Reviewed 12 December 2013

My ex-partner and I have several friends in Grimbsy and environs. We used to stay in national chains, but found them to be extremely noisy. A few years back via Booking.com we discovered the Humber Royal in Great Coates, a suburb now of Greater Grimsby, and have stayed there four or five times.

From Little Coates Road, the edifice resembles a 1960's telephone exchange. Do not be put off! Inside is a fresh, designer, Scandic interior. There is disabled parking outside the main entrance; although this is generally quickly taken, there are plenty of nearby spaces. There is a separate flat-entry entrance for those in wheelchairs or who have difficulty with steps. There is a lift (elevator) which reaches all floors of the hotel. However most folk seem to take the stairs as the lift does seem to take a long time from being called to opening its doors for entry.

We normally arrive after dark and are warmly welcomed by the ever amiable Kim, but arriving in daylight we met the other friendly receptionist. We quickly fulfilled the bureaucratic requirements and headed off to our room. Unfortunately someone had had a secret smoke and the air smelled stale. There was no issue with swapping accommodation and, whilst we waited for our beds to be made up, were given a complimentary and delicious coffee.

Settling into the room after unpacking, we lay on our respective beds: I caught up with updates on social media; my assistant viewed the news updates. Whilst the wifi at times streamed much faster than in my home, at other times it completely stalled and one had to switch to one of the other of the hotel's three links.

We quickly determined that my assistant's over-bed light-switch was broken.

Our next unwelcome discovery was the shower that squealed in a high-pitched tone whenever switched on to any flow above trickle!

Nonetheless, what is most satisfactory about the rooms at Humber Royal are the panoramic windows that look out onto views of the neighbouring golf-course.

Breakfast

Food & drink

The Humber Royal prides itself on sourcing locally, so nigh everything that can be sourced in Lincolnshire is so. I was able to have what I would have consumed chez moi: cereal, fruit and juice; this was eventually followed by coffee and my selection off the cooked breakfast menu - two rashers of perfectly cooked bacon and two spot-on poached eggs. To this point I had kept to my diet. Then I treated myself to a slice of white bread toast with butter and clear honey. Delish! The breakie cannot be faulted.

On the other hand the service was dilatory. The serving staff were more interested in catching up on their very audible gossip. So much so, they forgot to take our drinks and cooked breakfast orders, which on previous occasions had been taken as soon as we had settled down at table. The maître d' did apologise however.

Recommendation

Booking.com and (per a plaque outside the main entrance) some English tourism site both rate Humber Royal as four-star. Compared to Staybridge Suites Newcastle (q.v.) in which we stayed the previous night and also rated four-star there was a great difference, with only the later seeming to me to be worth the 4*.

Nevertheless, if one finds oneself visiting Greater Grimsby, I do wholeheartedly recommend Humber Royal, if but for the vistas and the food. %)

I also dined in the hotel's brasserie - see my separate review.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Guest

We are delighted you have chosen to stay with us yet again. As you have mentioned the exterior resembles a 1960’s purpose build hotel, however we have spent our resources in changing the interior to a modern up to date hotel making this hotel the front runner in the area. We have made numerous changes with the layout of the interior including installing a new and safer lift. As you’ve mentioned the lift does take time, but guest safety is our number one priority and therefore might take a few moments longer.

I am pleased you have received a warm and friendly welcome from the reception team once again and as you have experienced we are quick to react and make sure our guests enjoy a comfortable stay. All our bedrooms are non-smoking but regrettably we do still have some guests smoking in the bedrooms.

We provide complimentary WIFI for all our guests throughout the hotel, we are currently investing in fibre optic broadband which hopefully will be with us in the New Year and will offer consistently fast streaming.

Our maintenance team do make regular spot checks in the bedrooms to ensure all the light bulbs are in working order, but as you can appreciate we are running at a 80% to 99% occupancy and can’t always get to all the blown out bulbs, therefore it is very important that any defects in the bedrooms are mentioned on check out for us to record and respond to. I can confirm that we have replaced the over-bed-light switch since your stay.

I do apologise for the ‘unwelcome discovery’ with the noisy shower, we have attended to the issue.

The view over the golf course is breath taking and I am delighted that you took time to enjoy the view during your stay with us.

We do pride ourselves with providing a very high standard locally sourced produced breakfast and everyone comments on how good it is. I am sorry to hear that the service was not on par with the delicious breakfast, this has lead to some retraining. As you are aware our procedure is to take the orders as soon as you are seated to enable you to help yourself to some fruit and cereal whilst waiting for the freshly cooked breakfast you have ordered.

We are rated 4 Star by Visit Britain. An assessor stays at the hotel as a mystery guest and rates various aspects of the hotel during the visit – cleanliness, bedroom and bathroom facilities, service and efficiency, food quality, hospitality and friendliness, dining room, all public areas and the exterior. Based on the last two visits we have consistently ranked at 4 Star.

Thank you for your overview and experience of all the facilities we have to offer and we look forward in welcoming you back once again in the near future.

Reviewed 9 December 2013

Stayed for a weekend on a trip to Donna Nook to see Grey Seals. Outside looks like 70' Post House,but inside is a very well laid out comfortable hotel. Very quiet on the Friday night,a large function on the saturday,but no bother at all. Room very comfortable,food very good,best chips ever! Drinks in the bar a bit pricey? All in all a very nice break,will return!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest

Thank you for including us in your trip and hope you had a great day out at Donna Nook. Glad you enjoyed a quite night in the Brasserie. Our fish and chips are the best with beer battered Grimsby Haddock served with chip shop chips, you can’t go wrong! Our beverage prices are competitive with the hotels in the area. Hope to see you soon.

Reviewed 4 December 2013

The exterior of this hotel is, to put it bluntly, an ugly edifice displaying the worse example of late 20th Century Architecture.
However once inside it is a very pleasant surprise!
The reception, lounge and corridors are modern and look to have been recently modernised. The room I was allocated (Delux Double) was fantastic, superb modern decor, fully kitted out, super modern large TV with a great range of freview channels. whilst the description of the room as suite was a little abitious it was a very large room with a very large and comfy bed. Free WIFI (although a poor signal in my particular room but who cares it was free) The bathroom is superb, high quality fittings and high quality finish with a very large bath and over bath shower.

The hotel is well set back off the road and overlooking a golf course at the rear so very quiet for the light sleeper such as myself.

Large free car park

All in all I would have absolutely no hesitation in recomending this hotel to anyone who needs a bed in Grimsby especially for the amazing price of £85 B&B for their top room! I cannot find a negative thing about it and It has rapidly got to the top of my list of hotels of choice when I am over in this area!

Give it a try, when you consider the charge Premier in and the like are charging this place is an absolute bargain and amazing quality!

Room Tip: at the back overlooking the golf course is nice and quiet
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
HumberRoyal, General Manager at Humber Royal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 December 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for your review - I really don’t know what to say! Your comments summarise what we are about so accurately, from the quality of our product throughout the hotel to the location and everything else a traveller will need to know.

It is so encouraging to know that we’re ticking the right boxes on so many counts, comments such as yours really encourage other guests to cross our threshold – many, many thanks for shouting about it!

Best wishes

Reviewed 29 November 2013

Stayed here whilst visiting Immingham on business.
Comfortable hotel, that looks a. Little dated but with very friendly staff.
Breakfast was excellent too. Freshly cooked full English. Decor could be improved, with the paint a little dated in the corridors but a comfy nights sleep was gained.
Set close to a golf course.
I would definitely stay here again if staying in the area, with close links to major roads

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for the review on all the facilities we offer. I am pleased you have enjoyed your stay. We completed the bedrooms with king size beds giving you lots of room and ensuring you have a good night’s sleep – just as you’ve mentioned.

Many thanks for highlighting our freshly cooked English breakfast, it’s a great way to start the day! It was good to read your comments about our friendly team at the hotel – they really do make the difference.

Corridors are deliberately kept light and airy, and will be getting a fresh lick of paint in the New Year; we’ll look at scheduling that earlier next time.

As you mentioned were ideally located for all the major road links into Grimsby and I'm pleased to note that we’ll be seeing you again when you next visit Grimsby.

Reviewed 18 November 2013

From the outside the property looks awful and needs some money spent on making it look more appealing. Money has been spent refurbishing the inside which comes as a pleasant surprise.

The rooms are modern and clean and comfortable. I ate in the restaurant and again was pleasantly surprised with the quality of the food and the service.

I would stay here again if in the area.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
HumberRoyal, General Manager at Humber Royal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 November 2013

Dear guest,

It has been said so many times that the external architectural appearance of our lovely hotel is unattractive (to say the least!). We have grown to love it from the inside out, for what it is – a wonderful hotel offering superb facilities and delicious food. We have spent over £3 million on a full refurbishment transforming the 1960’s interior into a modern, contemporary look and feel making this hotel the front runner in the area – as you have experienced.

All our menus are based on locally sourced products making each meal nutritious and top quality.

I look forward in welcoming you back!