Humber Royal Hotel
  • Restaurant
  • Restaurant
  • Breakfast included
View Hotel
All reviewsgolf coursegolf clubcomplimentary toiletriessmall balconyoffice blockcomfortable hotelchristmas partybreakfast was excellentnight porterno air conditioninggood sizesuperior roomlincolnshire sausageschecking outstayed here for one nightup to datecar park
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 19 January 2014

The hotel is modern, clean and very comfortable. The room was everything you would need, with a good shower and nice bathroom. The food is very good and reasonable value. I had issues with the internet which really spoiled my stay. I contacted reception on two occasions on the same evening and the receptionist said she would reset the server. this did not work and she offered no further resolution. I had a lot of work to get through and could not prep for a meeting the following day which ruined my stay. A good internet connection is critical in a hotel. The receptionist that was on last Wednesday night 15th/01 (same one dealt with my internet issue, or didn't deal with my internet issue as the case was) could do with remembering she is speaking to paying guests. Her comment (make sure you return the newspaper to reception) didn't go down too well. In fact i deliberately left it in the bar. The rest of the staff however were attentive and friendly. I will be returning to Grimsby in a few weeks and will be sure to stay again, hopefully avoiding the receptionist with the attitude problem.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
HumberRoyal, General Manager at Humber Royal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay and your dinner in the Brasserie. We have invested in upgrading our complimentary WIFI to a much better product, unfortunately as a result of this we have experienced a few teething problems. I do believe this is now sorted and the internet is back up and running smoothly.
We look forward in welcoming you back in a few weeks’ time.

Best regards

Reviewed 18 January 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for one night last week. Don't judge the hotel by the exterior which is hideous - it has recently undergone a major refurbishment inside. The room was modern and spacious, with all the expected facilities, the bed was comfortable. It was also very clean, and had a balcony overlooking the golf course. The bar area of the hotel is also very comfortable, and the staff at the hotel were very friendly. The breakfast in the morning was delicious. Will be returning when visiting family in the area.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear guest,

Thank you for your review and I am delighted you have enjoyed your stay with us. The rooms were all redesigned with a modern and contemporary feel and some rooms enjoying extra space. Most of the rooms have balconies with a tranquil view overlooking the golf course. We pride ourselves on our locally sourced breakfast – a big hit with our residents, thanks for pointing this out...

Hope to see you very soon!

Kind regards

Reviewed 11 January 2014 via mobile

My friend and I came here to a 70s evening. We had a twin room which was excellent value for money and had everything you could wish for and plenty of space. Very clean. Staff very helpful. The evening was a pure delight and the 3 course Christmas meal we had was exceptional. Only fault was the wine we had pre ordered with meal was not there and we had to ask for it but this was rectified very quickly. Breakfast the next morning was excellent and service very good. Staff helpful and looked after you. Do not be fooled by the outside as inside the hotel is very smart. Lovely stay and highly recommemded

• Stayed: December 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for reviewing your experience whilst attending one of our party nights during December. The festive special including accommodation is a very good offer and I am glad you enjoyed every element. Hope to see you again this year!

Kind regards

Reviewed 22 December 2013

We stayed for two nights as we were in grimsby for a friends wedding! We didn't know the area so took this hotel from a suggestion list on our wedding invite.
Upon arrival after a long drive, we were greeted with "what's your name"?!! No 'hello' or 'welcome to the Humber Royal', and no smile either.....same customer service skills on the way out too!! We checked in on Friday 20th dec around 6:30pm ish and checked out just after 11am on the Sunday (22nd) dec!
When we arrived at our room-225, it was very spacious on first glance and all amenities we'd need, however it smelt smokey and all the windows were open, so it was freezing in there....yes in the mid-late December they'd opened the windows....maybe they were trying to get rid of the smoke smell!
Onto room service-took an age to leave phone ringing to order some food but eventually it arrived-it did the job but certainly isn't anything special (and they charge you £5 tray charge) we don't mind paying this if what you get is good!!!
One really annoying issue in the room was the very bright blue light on the tv, when you want to sleep it's not the best thing to have shining very brightly.

So on check out, there was no-one at reception and no bell to attract attention, however someone came after a prompt from another member of staff. We weren't asked how our stay was or if everything was ok, not even a smile and 'good morning', we were just presented with the bill. And not even a thank you once we'd paid..lol! These reception ladies definitely need to have some customer service training!
Would we stay there again if we were in the area......no probably not but it did the job that we needed for a couple of nights!
Merry Christmas reception ladies.....remember smile, it might never happen :-)

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank thecat222
HumberRoyal, General Manager at Humber Royal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2014

Dear Guest,

I was disappointed to read your comments following your recent visit to the hotel. In particularly I was most concerned to learn of the levels of service you encountered at reception both at arrival and departure. I can assure you that this does not reflect our normal high standards of customer care as highlighted in the many reviews here on TripAdvisor. Please accept my personal apologies for these failings, I can assure you that these have been shared with my Reception Manger and her team to ensure corrective training occurs.

We do operate a non-smoking policy throughout the hotel and enforce this within the bedrooms. I have discussed your unsatisfactory experience in the room with the ‘smokey’ smell with the Head Housekeeper, who has since checked and rectified the problem. I can appreciate that it was not good arriving into the cold room and do apologise for the inconvenience caused.

I was sorry that your sleep was disturbed by the blue light in-front of the television which is the sensor for the remote control; unfortunately we can’t block this light as you won’t be able to use the remote. This is the manufacturers design on all the SANYO televisions, as and when we have a need to replace them we will endeavour to ensure this is addressed.

I sincerely hope we may see you again in the future when you next visit the area.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 16 December 2013

I stayed here for one night while travelling. Greeted by friendly receptionist. Room was warm, clean and comfortable. Room service was prompt and quality of food very good. Equally breakfast very tasty. Very mic stay.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Alex E
HumberRoyal, General Manager at Humber Royal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 December 2013

Dear Alex,

Pleased we could assist you with a bedroom on your travels and that you have experienced everything we stand for – a friendly and welcoming arrival; warm, clean and comfortable bedrooms and quality food. Thank you for taking time to review your stay and hope to see you in the very near future.

Best wishes