“Very Pleasant...”

Ranked #10 of 10 Hotels in Grimsby
Grimsby, England, United Kingdom
“Very Pleasant...”
Reviewed 18 January 2014

Being familiar with The Beeches Hotel & Restaurant for the 5 years in which we have lived in Scartho, we have seen the fall and rise of what has the potential to be one of the best venues for top quality food and accommodation in the area.

I am a member of Grimsby70 Round Table and The Beeches was our meeting place for our quarterly business meetings where we imbibed in copious quantities of food and alcohol and regularly spent over £1000 per evening here. Over the years the quality diminished in terms of food and service and as an organisation we unfortunately moved our business to another establishment near Laceby.

In my working life I have experienced many vocations and one of my longest served was in the licensed trade working for Tetleys Brewery delivering to pubs, hotels and restaurants across Yorkshire & Lincolnshire. I am by no means a hotelier or restaurateur but I do have the ability to be able to see what makes a good hotel & restaurant and what contributes to a bad one.

Before Christmas while we had friends staying with us, we called in on a Saturday afternoon purely by chance as it had become a place which we more walked past rather than considered calling in for a drink. We were very pleasantly welcomed by the new management and engaged in lengthy conversation on the plans for the future and the history of the place. As most people will be aware, a good reputation is easy to lose, and unfortunately many of the reviews below are of a time when The Beeches Hotel had lost its good reputation. New management always faces a tough upward task, but when the venue is as low as it can possibly get it is incredibly difficult to know where to start without good, constructive feedback from customers.

We booked in for a meal on a Saturday evening after the Christmas period prior to a very important client of ours was due to visit to ensure that we were confident he would receive the service and quality we would expect for him. We were very pleased with our meals respectively and simple touches such as a choice of bread to accompany the meals was nice. My wife had Moules Marinier to start, which she said were plentiful and perfectly cooked with a delicious sauce. I had a Duck and vegetable terrine, which was equally delicious. For mains, my wife had spinach and ricotta crepes which were again plentiful and perfectly cooked, and I had a delicious Rib Eye Steak with chunky home made chips. I am very particular about my steak and was almost reluctant to order as I wasn't confident it would be done to my liking. I had no need for concern as it was perfectly done and of a gratifying size - highly recommended. We had little room left for dessert but the selection did look very appetising.

The bar at the moment is a little bare, but with a good choice of wines, spirits and bottled beers there is something for everyone to enjoy. I am confidently told that cask conditioned, real ales will soon be the order of the day and entertainment evenings will be a regular occurrence. The management want people to treat The Beeches as not just a place to stay or eat but also to pop in and enjoy a drink too, I know I will certainly be frequenting more in the coming future as a venues are only as good as the support they receive.

My business partner came to stay on the 15th January and being from London and well travelled knows exactly what he expects when he stays away on business. We arranged a meal for our staff on the evening to discuss our future plans and we're excellently served with only small pointers to address which were duly taken up with the management. The meal was delicious, fairly priced and my colleague thankfully appreciated the comfortable accommodation he was given, we will definitely be using The Beeches as a meeting point and accommodation venue for our clients in the future.

All in all, The Beeches has the potential to be one of the best places to eat and drink in the local area. It has the capacity to be both a bar and a restaurant and is quite unique to any other establishment locally. The staff are largely young, some are a little inexperienced but we all start somewhere, and anyone who says or thinks they have nothing to learn, has a lot to learn.

Happy New Year The Beeches, we look forward to all you have to offer for 2014!!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Johnny S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Grimsby
Reviewed 17 January 2014

Visited the restaurant for a family birthday 14th January 2014. Welcome was pleasant and service was reasonable although staff appeared to be very nervous. Wine was ordered and we were not offered the chance to taste, it was just placed on table. Starters arrived and were fine, although the soup was somewhat spicy (not a problem if you know beforehand)
Main courses were disappointing. Chicken stuffed with haggis was fine, although should have been accompanied by asparagus and we were informed they had run out so would be other veg. Homemade beef burger was adequate if somewhat cold. Asparagus risotto was a disaster. All in all not somewhere I will be visiting again in a hurry

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Suebromley
Manager867, Manager at The Beeches Hotel, responded to this review, 18 January 2014
Dear Guest,

On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologise for not exceeding your expectations on this occasion. Your satisfaction is important to us and we will be using the feedback you gave us to implement improvements to ensure we offer a better experience for patrons in the future.

We do take your feedback very seriously and hope that you will return to the venue again so that we can provide the superior experience that you expect.

Bolton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 January 2014

I stayed for a 2 night stay 13-14th January. Check in was fine, and the room was well presented. However my room was right next to the door at the top of the stairs so there was lots of noise every time someone came upstairs. At 2am there were kids running around, which, although not the hotels fault, meant I was not as rested as I should have been.
At midnight that evening I returned from work and walked into my room to find that they had not serviced it at all. The bed wasn't made, towels hadn't been moved and even my cups were still dirty from that morning.
This is not acceptable in this day and age.
I spoke to a gent the next morning and did get an apology, however, after a 17 hour day at work I wanted a made room to return to.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Antony B
Dear Antony,

If you require anything further then please do not hesitate to contact me.

This is not acceptable on our part

Richard Montague

Travellers are raving about these Grimsby hotels

Grimsby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 January 2014 via mobile

Found the food at the beeches fabulous. Had souffle for starters and it was lovely. Good choice of mains so I decided to have chicken wrapped in Parma ham. It was cooked to perfection and fell off the bone. Dessert was great to.
Very critical regarding my food, but couldn't fault it.
The dinning room was cosy, with a roaring fire and lovely surroundings....overall a fab night.
Thankyou for a great night.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank julie c
Grimsby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 December 2013

We went to celebrate my parents' wedding anniversary on a Saturday night in November, having booked a few weeks beforehand. We were a party of 8 and there were only two other tables (of groups of 4) occupied. Nevertheless, we were told that they had run out of glasses (not everyone had a glass therefore!), the wine was simply deposited on the table (no opportunity to taste), the scallops were not cooked (still raw and cold in the middle) and the steak was full of sinews! There were only 3 (very young and inexperienced) waiters, who did their best to salvage a dismal situation, but no front of house / management in sight - we refer to the evening as out "Fawlty Towers" night. However, I know that none of us would contemplate returning, and I cannot imagine anyone in our circle of friends wanting to go having heard of our disastrous experience!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank chaconb2013
Manager867, General Manager at The Beeches Hotel, responded to this review, 2 January 2014

Reviewed 28 December 2013 via mobile

We booked in September for our first family Christmas Day lunch away from home. Our party of five were offered choice of tables and we chose one in the hotel conservatory. We were given a Christmas Day menu on booking. On arrival we found that we were seated on a relatively small table in the hotel main restaurant rather than the conservatory.

We also discovered that the menu had changed. One of our party is a non meat eater and the fish dish offered on the original menu was monkfish. We mentioned that to the waitress and she said that the chef had received an order of monkfish the day before and had rejected it in favour of swordfish steak.

That would have been ok except for the fact there were two changes to the types of starter on offer and two changes on the mains.

Neither the change to our table location nor the menu changes were communicated to us. General courtesy dictates that should happen especially when you are paying £50 per head.

When the meals arrived, they were all plated up with vegetables on the plate rather than in separate dishes. No thought had been given to how many wine or water glasses a party of five would need. There was no evidence of any manager in attendance and no one to check during the meal that everything was okay with the meals. The swordfish was an unusual choice to replace monkfish and when it arrived it was an extremely small portion. The trio of sweets were good no their own but as a trio were poorly chosen as two were very much chocolate based. The menu we were shown on booking showed one to be a lemon based sweet which would have complimented the other two. The cheese and biscuits were very good.

In the restaurant itself there were no table cloths on the plain tables nor any Christmas decorations or flowers or candles on the tables themselves. The only concession to Christmas was a bit of tinsel around the mirrors and some basic greenery around the fireplace.

When this was mentioned when we paid the waitress conceded the restaurant was bare of decoration and that the table cloths had been sent for cleaning but had not been returned.

Having been sold as a special meal, the crackers on the table for us were pathetic, with small plastic rings or small plastic spinning tops as rewards inside. That type of cracker could probably be bought in a pound shop.

On an occasion like this is it would have been a small cost to offer a glass of sparkling wine on arrival or a liquor with coffees. As it was we were presented with coffee with two after eight mints in the saucer and no offer of coffee top ups.

Credit to the young staff who did work, those at fault were those who failed to decorate the restaurant, supply the food, failed to notify on change of seating and menu.

To entice us back there would need to be significant change.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 December 2013

We had stayed for a weekend escape to grimsby, The Beeches Hotel was our first choice of stay, excellent customer service and a top chef, the beeches hotel even has a very comfortable restaurant.. Would recommend +++++

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Grimsby
Humber Royal Hotel
Best Western Oaklands Hall Hotel
The St. James Hotel Grimsby
Holiday Inn Express Grimsby
The Dovedale Hotel and Restaurant

Been to The Beeches Hotel? Share your experiences!