“They know how to look after you”
Review of The Beeches Hotel

The Beeches Hotel
Ranked #10 of 10 Hotels in Grimsby
Reviewed 6 November 2008

Although I only stayed for one night, I was impressed with everything.

The staff are friendly, treat you with respect and are very helpful. The room, although not large, was beautifully decorated and well furnished. The public areas were clean and tidy and the bar comfortable and relaxing.

The high point however was the restaurant, both at breakfast and at dinner, which was beautifully cooked and well presented.

Hard to fault and I will definitely stay again.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled on business

Reviewed 28 March 2008

I was on business for one night, and found the Beeches through the web. Arrived to a friendly receptionist, and soon to the room. The first room I was given had a plumbing problem, but this was soon rectified and I was moved to another room and given a free bottle of wine with my meal because of the inconvenience. The place was very clean, and seemed to have been refurbished not long ago. Restaurant was very good. I would certainly return.
The only thing that I felt needed replacing was the bed linen. The duvets seemed tired and may be a little small. But this would not stop me returning to stay.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 March 2008

We stayed here for one night as we had come down to watch Derren Brown at the auditorium.

We were greeted at the front desk by a friendly receptionist. The reception area was cosy-looking, with lots of framed reviews of the hotel on the walls.

Our first negative experience was having to carry two heavy suitcases up two flights of stairs as there was no lift, although two members of staff did offer to help us.

The small room was very warm and comfortable looking. There was a tiny bathroom with a good strong shower. The double bed was very comfortable with huge squashy pillows and a lovely warm duvet.

However, I think this room was much too small to be a double. It really was very tiny, and with our suitcases on the floor there was literally no room to walk around, we had to climb over the bed to get to the bathroom. This would probably be fine for a single room but it was just too small for the two of us and we don't take up that much room!

One other small complaint was the complimentary bottle of spring water on the table had a broken seal, and was half-empty! Although it was nothing major it made me wonder what else could have been missed. I took it back to reception where the girl replaced it quickly for us with no fuss.

We did not eat in the restaurant or visit the bar but it looked very smart and clean when we walked through it.

Breakfast was good, although maybe a little expensive for what we had. Saying this, we were only charged about half the normal price for it when we came to pay. The lady who took our payment as we left was very friendly and chatty.

To sum it up, the Beeches was fine for us for one night, but if we were to stay again I would want to make sure we had a larger room. The staff were friendly and the place seemed clean.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 January 2008

Having been told I was to work in Grimsby the hotel search began. After reading a few Tripadvisor comments about bad hotels all over Grimsby, I began to worry but thankfully found the Beeches.

The hotel is well signposted and is based in Scartho on the outskirts of Grimsby. The hotel looks quiet dated outside and around the reception area. Essentially it is a basic bed and breakfast. Having said that the rooms are clean and comfortable and do the job for a couple of nights. The tv was tiny and a rolling picture was quiet amusing for so long!!

The really good point however is the restaurant. The restaurant area has obviously been refitted and is very contemporary in feel. I had a three course meal and the food was excellent, I would certainly come here to eat if not stay at the hotel. The prices were about average so this was a real winner. Breakfast was also really good, and the food has a feeling of being home made, something you don’t get in the Holiday Inn.

I must also commend the service here, all the staff were very happy and really willing to help. Overall this hotel may be dated in its décor, but for a warm welcome and great food, it’s the place to be!

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 November 2007

Just a quick note. I have stayed at various hotels in the area and this is by far the best. I don't understand the other poor review ,maybe they just don't know quality when they see it ,unlike ALL the other reviews that say what a great hotel on your very helpful website. The staff , the hotel and lastly the restaurant are all superb.I will be back soon!!

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled on business
1  Thank BusyTravellerUk
Reviewed 22 October 2007

We booked this hotel based on what others had written on this site. We didn't agree with any of the comments made by previous reviewers. The bathroom was very dirty and smelled of mould. It wasn't surprising because the bath mat was literally black with mould on the underside. There was airfresheners everywhere that made the smell worse. The duvet cover and curtains were made of the same polyester fabric that felt like nylon. Probably easy to launder, but not pleasant to sleep in. The light bulb was bigger than the lamp and protruded out of the top. The electric kettle handle got so hot it could not be picked up or used. There was a spare bed and spare blankets in the hallway, in the way of the fire escape. A newspaper was ordered but never arrived and had to be collected from reception on the way to breakfast. They said they didn't know who ordered it, but the room number was on the top! The worse thing really was the heating system that gurgled and moaned and made a banging noise all night long!!! The restaurant was disappointing considering the fact that it was very expensive. Not an experience to be repeated - I left feeling quite queasy.

Stayed: October 2007
2  Thank MKwanderers
Reviewed 10 October 2007

I only stayed for 1 night whilst on business in Grimsby. I wasn't really expecting much, as the price was very resonable.

I was very pleasently surprised when i arrived. The room i stayed in was very spacious. It was very clean and tidy, and i felt extremly comfortable. I thought it had just been refurbished, but it actually hasn't, they just take very good care of the rooms. It was also extremley quite, and i got a very good nights sleep.

I ordered room service, as i was on my own, and didn't fancy sitting on my own in the restaurant. The full restaurant menu is available to your room, rather than having to settle for a sandwich. The food came, and it was of very high quality. I ordered the steak, that was cooked to perfection, and the chocolate orange cheescake for dessert was delightful.

The breakfast was also lovely. There is the normal cereals, fruit juice, yoghurts and fruit available, plus the option of a full english breakfast. The full english was lovely, and not swimming in grease like you so often get.

I fully recommend this hotel to anyone staying in Grimsby or surrounding area.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled on business