“Two Day Business Visit” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Grimsby
Wrexham
“Two Day Business Visit”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014

This is a reasonable hotel to stay at with only a few little niggles, if there was a category good, I would have selected that.
It is situated close to the town centre, but is in a quite location. The room I had was large ( I think it was a family room with one double and one single bed)
There was ample desk space and the free WIFI was quite good. The bathroom was also of a good size. Plenty of hanging and drawer space, an ironing board etc

Only small grip on the room was the small TV compared to the room size and the distance from the bed.

The receptionist was friendly and showed me to the room. Probably a good job as it is a bit of a rabbit warren, as this Hotel has an original older building at the centre with numerous extensions.
The breakfast room and Dining room was of good size and pleasant décor.

There is a gym on the first floor plus squash courts on the ground floor, additionally a sauna/steam room is available. I used the Gym and it has fairly modern equipment and all seem in working order.

Breakfast is ok with a buffet plus a cooked breakfast to order. The filter coffee is a little weak and over heated.

The restaurant in the evening was a little disappointing in places the home-made soup was nice, but the lamb was a little tough. The Fish and Chips was ok, but there are a lot better in the area.

On the second night the service was a bit slow, but there were two large groups in, so I guess it was to be expected.
The bar area was welcoming and the hotel was clean through out and well maintained

I will probably return as the plus points out weigh the negatives.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2014

I stumbled across Millfields when i looked on tripadvisor and wanted a new place to stay in grimsby when I'm working in the area. I'm glad i gave it a try as it's a nice place.

Welcoming staff on all sides is a good thing, they also appear to care which is even better. Room was a decent size all you could want. Only small grip was the telly Was a long way away from the bed and a bit small, but it worked on all channels.

I had my dinner in the restaurant and I was very happy with the food standard and prices, as a guest you automatically get 10% off at the bar which was lovely. Only minor grip was it was Steak night and this only works for 2 people so I had to have a brilliant lamb chop instead and a very nice cheese board.

The hotel also has a full fitness suite, I didn't try it this trip but might in future, and is only a short walk from a park which is a good way to work of tea instead.

Breakfast gave a good selection, without being too large. I ordered boiled eggs, which I had to get re-done as the white was soft, but this was no problem as the next ones were perfect.

I've already booked my next stay at the hotel and am loking forward to it.

Thanks.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Mary R
Halifax
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2014 via mobile

Stopped here with work as I was visiting Grimsby. The place was undergoing some internal decoration, but didn't hinder stay. Checkin was fast and efficent and ALL the staff (from checkin, bar, breakfast were superb, polite and efficent. Room was a bit bewildering to get to but the room it self was adequate clean and spacious. If I had to be uber critical then I would suggest the inroom coffee cups are kept upside-down position to stop dust settling in it!!
Food in the bar was DELICIOUS [f&c with m.peas]. Really nice though a bit tight on the chips. Beer (wide choice) was fresh.
Breakfast (cooked) was nice and ample. All in all a nice stay with nice atmosphere. Ps WiFi was superb, from room to restaurant, allowing me unfortunately to do my work!

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Grimsby, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2014

We have been here in the past for private parties and weddings but this is the first time we have been just for a meal. the food was good and the staff very pleasant. It was quite busy but we didn't have to wait to long to be seated overall a good meal at a reasonable price.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Farnborough, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2014

Had a fine one-night stay in the Rafters Suite. It's in the older main building and up three flights of stairs, so a bit of a climb if you're getting on a bit. The suite is well appointed, a little lacking in natural light (as it's in the roof-space, effectively) but very comfortable with excellent facilities. There's a little banging from the doors one level down.

The kitchens were undergoing refurbishment, so there was only a limited meals menu. The breakfast was fine and the bar snack very hot (if a little on the dear side). Service was OK. Reception friendly.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Sutton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2014

My Son and I stayed over last Tuesday night. We had a lovely welcome after a long drive from London. The food was lovely, it was curry night and they had run out of some of the side dishes but bearing in mind it was near 9 in the evening was not surprising, however the food was lovely. The room was a bit warm but once we turned the heating done was fine. Breakfast was great and when I asked for an extension on checking out they assisted with no problems would stay again. staff were very friendly and helpful

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Aligy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2014

We had our Wedding on the 1st February 2014, after the Wedding upstairs in the Ceremony Room we were welcomed with drinks in the Bar before going into the Orangery for our Wedding Buffet. The service from the warm and friendly staff was excellent and nothing was too much trouble. A special mention to Luke Daines who had only taken over the job of Restaurant Manager on the 16th January ( which did worry us slightly!). He was professional with excellent listening skills and made us feel special. If there was anything to complain about it was the man behind the Bar at the end of the night he was quite rude when we asked for more service it was 12.30am and there was about eight of us!! I found out subsequently that he is the Manager.... he could take a few tips from Luke and the other members of staff for hospitality!!

Room Tip: Don't know we had the Bridal Suite.