“A very pleasant stay”
Review of Oak House

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Horncastle
Oak House
Ranked #8 of 8 Horncastle B&B and Inns
Reviewed 2 June 2013

My mother and myself stayed here on Bank Holiday Monday prior to attending a funeral .Jo Gilbert was very welcoming and greeted us upon arrival with a pot of tea and homemade cakes and scones.
The rooms were immaculate and furnished with Antiques and both had a tea tray and the double room had a television .The beds were very comfortable.
The bathroom was well equipped with Egyptian cotton towels and was also immaculate.

The breakast the following morning was lovely!- a choice of fresh fruit/ prunes/yoghurt/lots of different cereal/a cooked breakfast/toast /homemade jams and Marmalade/orange juice/ and coffee and tea. A breakfast fit for a king!

We left feeling refreshed and ready for the demanding day ahead.If we visit Horncastle again we will definately like to stay with Jo again.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Oak House

Reviewed 30 May 2013

I simply can't say enough good things about Oak House. First of all, Jo Gilbert is a fabulous hostess, so warm and friendly and welcoming. I was greeted with delicious home made scones and cakes and a lovely pot of tea on my arrival. Nothing was too much trouble for Jo and I was made to feel comfortable and relaxed right from the start.
My room was immaculate, spotlessly clean and full of lots of really nice touches like extra complimentary toiletries and a very well stocked tea/coffee tray. The bed was the most comfortable bed I have slept in for a long time and the shower room was lovely with a really quaint frog theme throughout. There was also a beautiful garden and a very comfortable, homely lounge to relax in.
I really must give a special mention to the breakfast as it was amazingly good with the choice of a delicious full english if desired or cereals, fruit, toast etc if you prefer something lighter. Jo is a fabulous cook and uses delicious local produce, also the bread and marmalade and other preserves are all homemade. A really nice touch is that you can choose your own preferred breakfast time instead of being having to be up for a set time.
The location of Oak House is just perfect, about 5-10 mins walk from the town centre which means it is accessible and convenient but also quiet and peaceful. There are two small supermarkets in the town centre, plenty of reputable and affordable places to eat and a market every Thursday. Of course Horncastle is also renowned for its wonderful antique shops and there are a multitude of those to browse at your leisure.
There are regular and reliable bus links into Lincoln, Louth and Skegness which run on an hourly basis and consequently this makes Horncastle a really good base for exploring the local area.
I can highly recommend Oak House as a great place to stay and I would definitely stay there again. I have had a great 3 days and I am already looking forward to my next visit. A real home from home with a wonderful hostess!
Thank you Jo!!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 December 2012

I've just returned from two nights at the Oak House and I thoroughly enjoyed my stay. The room was clean, comfortable and warm. Jo Gilbert was a superb host and the breakfast was superb, home grown tomatoes and freshly baked bread with locally sourced Lincolnshire sausages and local eggs. If I go back to Horncastle I'd certainly book into this B&B again.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 1 October 2012

Just returned from a two night stay at Oak House.

Jo Gilbert, the host, greeted us with a smile and she meade us feel really at home.
The room was spacious, bathroom excellent and we enjoyed two good nights sleep in a very comfortable bed. Tea and Coffee to help us wake up was very welcome.

Breakfast was truly wonderful. Home baked Bread, home made preserves, free range eggs and oh so tasty Dry Cure Bacon from Redhill Farm (www.redhillfarm.com)...quite honestly the best Bacon I've tasted in my 48 years on this planet.

If you require somewhere to stay in Horncastle then Oak House is the place to go.

Thank you Jo, for a wonderful stay at your B & B.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 August 2012

My brother, sister-in-law, and I were in the UK for a month and spent the first 3 nights at this wonderful B & B in Horncastle. From the first moment, our hostess, Jo Gilbert, immediately made 3 very tired travelers from California welcome with tea and scones. Our rooms were lovely and the beds were very comfortable. Her home is beautifully decorated and the garden was so pretty - many flowers, vegetables, herbs, and fruits. The neighborhood is very nice and quiet and only a few minutes walk to the center of town. Jo's cooking is sooo good: the breakfasts were so much food (we are not used to that!) but wanted to eat it all because everything was freshly made and so delicious. Her baked goods, jams and elderflower were amazing. Jo was very knowledgeable about Horncastle and the Lincolnshire area and gave us great references on places to eat and see. She was eager to call ahead for us for reservations or make contacts for us, which was not always the case at the other B & B's along our trip. Our trip was enormously enhanced by the care and attention that Jo provided to us - we couldn't have had a better start for our month long visit to the UK!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 August 2012

We have just returned from a two night stay in Horncastle staying at Oak House with Mrs Gilbert as our host. Nothing, and I mean nothing was too much trouble and everything about our stay was first class. Our room was a great size, very clean and comfortable, and breakfast at Oak House will certainly keep you going for the rest of day. Without a doubt if you need accommodation in Horncastle Oak House is the place to be!
Many thanks Mrs Gilbert.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 August 2012

We have just had 3 nights with this lovely lady Jonquil Gilbert and her lovely welcoming Oak House,Everything was 5star although its only down as 4! The accomodation was superb and the Food!! really fabulous and we couldnt find one negative point if we tried,Honestly people you couldnt get better

Room Tip: Double was superb
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank bernadine n

Been to Oak House? Share your experiences!