“Lovely place but it's infancy shows just !!”
Review of Captain and Cook - CLOSED

Captain and Cook
Cuisines: Cafe, British, Delicatessen
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly
Dining options: Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: We are a coffee and tea house serving home made cakes, including gluten free. Free customer parking and disabled access.
Lincolnshire
“Lovely place but it's infancy shows just !!”
Reviewed 29 May 2014 via mobile

Called in for coffee and cakes on a Saturday morning, great ambience and a warm welcome. We would have preferred our cake and coffee to be served together but both were lovely even if individually served.

There are a number of other competitors but this is in my humble opinion on the way up and will become the destination of choice

Visited May 2014

Banbury, United Kingdom
“Worth spending time here”
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Recommend this place. Fresh coffee, fresh food and charming and helpful service. Not just for a coffee but lunch too. 4th or 5th visit and will go back again.

1 Thank Robert L
Lincoln, United Kingdom
“Good food, polite and amusing staff, and an ethos of quality and customer service.”
Reviewed 12 May 2014

My friend and I were nudged in the direction of Captain and Cook by a local bookshop owner. It is now one of my favourite places, and that is after just one visit.

The food was good all round. I had the rarebit, it was perfectly done, presented well and I only wish I could make it like that.

My friend had the frittata. I had long wanted to try one. He did not like it quite as much as I would, but only because of the mushrooms, and the fact it was cold. He did however love the salad which was lightly dressed with a rich balsamic vinegar.

The waitress who attended to us was French, this should not make a difference, but she was amusing, polite, courteous, and a consummate saleslady.

The latte my friend had tasted lovely, it had real body, not to forget the fact- when you ordered a large, you really did get a large. I had the keemun tea, though apparently I was the first to order it, it was a revelation.

We eventually made it to the cakes. Both of us opted for a raspberry and rosewater sponge with mascarpone cheese. It was only when I sat down I remembered I usually do not like sponge cake. This sponge cake is one of only two I have got along with- high praise just there. The flavour was delicate; it was not too dry, and not too sweet. As a side note, the mascarpone was served at the right temperature; too often it is too cold, which hides the flavour.

Now to the staff; Mr Norris was there to welcome us and remained a light-hearted and cheery presence throughout the visit. Mrs Norris is a gem; we must have spoken for over half an hour about food, vinegar, cheese (we even got to try a Prosecco cheese I have never heard of) and alike.

This establishment deserves to do well, and from what I can see is a joy to the customers and staff. It made my day, and like General MacArthur- ‘I shall return’.

2 Thank NathanPBridle
Boston, United Kingdom
“nothing special”
Reviewed 7 May 2014

We had lunch as a party of 5. The service was friendly and efficient, but the food was fairly ordinary and a bit over-priced

• Visited April 2014
2 Thank Chris H
Lincolnshire
“What a great place!!”
Reviewed 3 May 2014

Called in here with a friend on 1st May. Excellent service, home made tea cakes to die for, Superb ambience. Just what Horncastle needed. It is streaks ahead of the other coffee shops/ cafes locally. I will be coming back and will bring people with me. Also, the cheese selection is first class! Well done Captain and Well done Cook!

3 Thank John848