“A real Italian restaurant - lucky Horncastle!”

Montebello Ristorante
Ranked #6 of 40 Restaurants in Horncastle
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 26 July 2014

The Italian chains are okay, and you always know what you're going to get, just as you do at McDonald's, but their dishes aren't particularly inspiring and are always carefully cost controlled, which can be a bit depressing — so we think Horncastle is lucky to have a real Italian restaurant serving imaginative dishes from a frequently changing menu. My wife and I have been to the Montebello several times, by ourselves, and with friends, and we have always been highly delighted by the food, and by the ambience and the service. The restaurant seems to attract a nice bunch of customers too, which is always a good sign! We will come again, and again.

1  Thank DigbyScott

Reviewed 15 July 2014

When Montebello Restaurant opened it was like a breathe of fresh air to the dining out experience in the Horncastle area. A pleasant relaxing venue with great food: whole fish like Sea Bass & Bream and pasta dishes . Like all good restaurants it has evolved with its menu producing a new range of dishes of excellent Italian food. The starter of flat mushroom either with pate or a vegetarian equivalent was tasty and packed with flavours. My main dish was a sautéed selection of sea foods from Calamaris to Sea Bass and King Prawns accompanied by sides of Rosemary potatoes and spinach & carrot. Possibly the very best dish of this sort I have ever tasted in this country? Despite being defeated to a dessert after such a splendid meal we were treated to a mandarin liqueur to round our evening.
Compliments to the attentive staff & management and thank goodness Horncastle has a restaurant of such high quality at affordable prices.
A must for residents and visitors alike. We will certainly be back.

1  Thank Lindenvet
Reviewed 5 July 2014

This restaurant made a fantastic start and a fresh and exciting place to eat in Horncastle BUT I'm afraid to say we had a very disappointing meal last week and probably would never go back.
They had 2 attempts to cook 1 of our steaks. The peas and carrots we had as a side dish looked and tasted like they came out of a tin and the rosemary potatoes were warm and soggy.

Reviewed 3 July 2014

We went to Montebello for my daughters 17th Birthday and were really impressed. There was good choice on the menu, plus some daily specials. My husband had the Italian stew of meatballs, bacon, sausage in a rich sauce and it was brilliant! My veggie calzone was packed with veg which still had some bite in it and full of flavour. Both kids had pizza and said they were fab. The restaurant is beautifully done and I would definitely recommend it!

Reviewed 5 June 2014

Visited following great reviews from family. The surroundings are lovely clean and fresh, the waitress was very stern and only smiled when we were paying! The food was lovely but not as great as I expected, not sure we will be returning