“Great Find, but Room to Improve”

Best Western Oaklands Hall Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Laceby
Reviewed 30 March 2012

True to all of the Trip Advisor reviews, this hotel was a find in the area. We did book Room 4 for 5 nights and we liked this room the best, of all the rooms we stayed in, during our recent trip to England. Fantastic view of the grounds and lots of room for your suitcases, in addition to lovely decor. The maids were outstanding leaving extra towels and water.

One evening, after visiting family in the area, we returned rather late (midnight), to be greeted outside by a rather huge man with arms folded and bald head asking to see our room key. He was the night manager and I would not personally like to meet him on unfriendly terms. As a guest, having him watching the front left us feeling safe and sound.

The room for improvement, with this hotel is the food and some of the staff. We ate at the hotel twice for dinner and breakfast every morning. The dinner menu I found all over the place, Thai food, pizza, chili, lasagna etc. I suggested to the waiter that there should be a chef's special, as no restaurant can cook all of this well. We ordered the local haddock (11pd95p) and found it overcooked. When I ordered a large white Chardonnay (around 6pd), they brought a small. When I called attention to the size, the waitress said it was wrong and took it back, only to return with the same wine saying she was just informed, this was their new large! So, evidently beer drinkers are their goal, in the bar and good luck to all of us wine drinkers, who will now have to drink in our rooms! Several night's later (15/03/12), we ate in the bar and ordered the pizza for 12pd95p. It was cold in the middle and when I asked if it was frozen, the bartender said they made it from scratch. We sent it back and he returned with a new pizza, this one hot, but soggy, as if it had been microwaved. At this point, we had filled up on chips and salad, (yes! chips with pizza). The bartender kept leaving the bar, to joke and chat with people in the kitchen, to the point one guest pounded on the kitchen door to get service. There were about 12 of us, in the bar. Several guests suggested, we should just help ourselves, he was gone so long. The waitress in the dining room also kept leaving, to join the kitchen party. Then, a woman came through to the kitchen with a small toddler and joined in the revelry. I was beginning to think they were drinking, as the bartender returned from the kitchen and threw several empty bottles into the bar trash. Don't they have a trash can in the kitchen?

Breakfast was excellent. I loved the special fruit compote they had made at the beginning of the week, with lots of cinnamon and pears. I also loved the steamed haddock and poached eggs. After 5 days of the same choices, they were kind enough to make us an omelet, which was not on the menu. The only downside for breakfast was having to sit at tables just vacated and reuse the leftover butter and silverware. This happened several mornings. I put the butter on another table and ask for more, which the older waitress turned around and took, used again, from another table. I finally moved it across the room and asked for more butter, from another waiter, who promptly brought it to us fresh! If the silverware was missing pieces, it was just added to what was left on the table. Now, I have children and children will lick a fork or spoon and put it back. I found having to take silverware on spec, that was left from another service to be unsanitary.

I will stay at this hotel again, after the refurbishment is complete and they address some of these staffing issues. Our total bill for the stay 430pd40p ($690.US).

Room Tip: Room 4 was a beautiful room! I think as the other rooms get refurbished, they will also be just as...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank IntheQ
Rmatthewsgm, Manager at Best Western Oaklands Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2012

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review about the Oaklands hall hotel.

It’s great to hear that you thought the Oaklands was a great find and that you enjoyed room 4 which is one of our newly refurbished rooms.

Our menu at the Oaklands does have a variety of dishes, this is to cater for both leisure and corporate guests during the week. We try to cater to every guests needs, although once the new Bistro is opened called The Comfy Duck there will be more specialist food, which will focus on the theatre and quality of food and a lounge menu which will have more snack food which we hope will cater for every guests needs.

All the Food on our menu at the Oaklands is made inhouse and made fresh to order. Since your stay our Head chef now uses a different pizza base which we are finding crisps nicely and has improved our pizza dish.

I would like to apologies for the wait you had whilst the bar man was in the Kitchen, I have looked into why this was, and on that night it was busy with room service. It is the bar persons responsibility to take any room service and bring finished trays down from rooms which would explain why he brought empty drinks back to the bar to go into our bottle bin or glass washer.

All our Breakfast staff has been trained regarding using fresh butter and cutlery from the kitchen when relaying tables.

We value your comments and have found them very helpful in improving our standards. I do hope you will return to the Oaklands and will see firsthand the improvements and the changes to the hotel.

Kindest regards
Richard Matthews and the Team.

Reviewed 27 March 2012

After a very foggy journey from Norwich up to Grimsby on Sunday evening we were very relieved to reach the Oaklands Hall Hotel. We had booked in for just one night for a rather sad occasion, as we were attending a funeral on Monday morning. We did not arrive until past 10pm and we were greeted well by a friendly receptionist and given directions to the family room we had booked. It was a good size, even for the three of us, spotlessly clean and comfortable. The public areas in the hotel are still in a bit of a state as the refurbishment continues but the staff were doing their best and were cheerful and helpful when we had a night cap in the bar before bed.
The next morning we enjoyed an excellent cooked breakfast, again good service. The receptionist on check out was also friendly and helped us with directions into Grimsby.
Only one small complaint was we were only left one large towel and one small one between the three of us; we were too tired to notice on arrival and by the morning, just managed although I am sure, we would have been brought more had we rung down to reception. However, that was a very small thing and on the whole we were more than pleased to have a pleasant stay under difficult circumstances. We hope we may return them one day sooner for a more cheerful occasion!

Room Tip: There was no lift so you might need to ask for a special room if you cannot manage stairs. The fami...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 March 2012

Im usually in the Lincolnshire area on buiness trips which involves staying over. I was recommended this hotel by a fellow colleague, and i can definitely say that i will be returning. The staff were very welcoming and friendly. The hotel was very clean and new after just having a refurbishment...i could tell that a lot of work has been done to the place. Breakfast buffet was outstanding, and the full english was fresh and local. I recommend for all types of trips, excellent.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 March 2012

My partner and I recently visited for a short break after hearing great reviews. The refurbishment is looking brilliant and rooms were spotless, modern and very relaxing! We enjoyed an excellent meal in the evening and the service was second to none, staff could not have been more attentive!
We look forward to visiting the Oaklands again in the near future.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sarah19lincolnshire
Reviewed 15 February 2012

We often take off for the weekend, and this one was simply the best and there looks like there is more to come once the refurbishment is completed. A peaceful break, beautiful grounds, great food but most of all the staff couldn't do enough for us. We've just booked to stay again with friends it was that good.

Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 February 2012

my husband and i love this hotel so much we have been six times in the past twelve months!staff are friendly and helpfull from waiters to management.The food is excellent .we go there for a relaxing weekend have been to other hotels but none compare to the oaklands the rooms are excellent beds comfy with bath and shower and even have ironing board and iron in rooms.check out the weekend special deals the hotel has on offer.my husband and i cant wait to book our next visit

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Rmatthewsgm, General Manager at Best Western Oaklands Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 February 2012

Thanks for taking the time to review the Oaklands Hall Hotel

Your loyalty to the Oaklands is great to see and I can’t welcome you back to the Oaklands soon enough. As the Oaklands continues to change and improve its standards we hope that this will make every visit more memorable from the last, The Oaklands prides itself on its returning customers.

Once again thank and from myself and team here at the Oaklands may we wish you all the best for the future

Kindest Regards
Richard Matthews

Reviewed 16 January 2012

You'll see that I posts many reviews on Tripadvisor and usually have some minor niggle or other. I can honestly say, though, that we couldn't fault this establishment in any way. We chose the place more-or-less at random and were pleased we did. It's a country hotel a few miles from Grimsby/Cleethorpes. A long drive leads to a large car park and the building itself is a large victorian mansion. Value for money was undeniable. The staff were everything you'd expect of a good hotel, and our room was large & spotless. We dined in the restaurant with a "2-steaks-&-a-bottle-of-wine" deal for £26 (which apparently is a new thing here on Saturdays)......a super meal. Fabulous breakfast too. We don't often find ourselves in this area but if we do get up there there again I'd be disappointed if we were unable to stay at this hotel.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Rmatthewsgm, General Manager at Best Western Oaklands Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2012

Thank You for taking the time to review The Oaklands Hall Hotel,

Im delighted that you have enjoyed your stay from start to finish with us, its great to see a job well done and a copy of your review went on our staff notice bored for all to see,

I do hope you will come and stay with us again at the Oaklands Hall Hotel, The Oaklands will be continuing to change over the coming months with a full ground floor refurbishment.

Kindest Regards
Richard Matthews

Also consider these accommodations in or near Laceby
3 mi away
4 mi away
Millfields Hotel
Millfields Hotel
#7 of 10 in Grimsby

Been to Best Western Oaklands Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!