“An average hotel.”

Best Western Oaklands Hall Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Laceby
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Not a bad hotel overall. Check-in was welcoming and without issue. I was assigned a Family Room (18), I was single occupancy, but it would be crowded for a family, the superking and single bed took up most of the room. Decor in the old part of the building was lovely, but becomes drab within the newer additions to the building.

The Comfy Duck restaurant was tasty, but the selection isn't great, not a single steak on offer!

Unfortunately seated next to a rowdy bunch of workers for my meal who's language was quite colourful at times, yet nobody asked them to be quieter.

Nice to see ice cold air-con in the room and the wifi was quick.

Decided to take breakfast in the room, the full English came with the worlds tiniest sausage and no condiments ( salt, pepper or sauce) were supplied and to be honest the coffee was horrible, but I suppose at less than a tender it's not going to be that great of a breakfast.

Room was spotlessly clean and tidy upon arrival.

A so-so experience, neither horrible or great, just run of the mill for me.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank tonymurphy30
barry f, Manager at Best Western Oaklands Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

Dear tonymurphy30
I was pleased to read the review that you left as it gives us an opportunity to be able to improve some of the points that you raised. Thank you for the compliments with regards to the room, check in and the wifi. The menus in the restaurant offer a Sirloin, fillet and rib eye. The only menu that does not have a steak is the lunch menu. I will check the menus today to ensure that we have no pages missing which the Steaks would be on. In The Comfy Duck we offer around 10 starters, 15 mains and 10 desserts and the chefs are more than willing to make something special if all the ingredients are in the kitchen. The corridors will be refurbished as soon as we have completed the bedrooms which will mean all the hotel looks as good as the room which you described. Thank you again for your comments and I look forward to being able to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

We stayed here last weekend for a friends wedding. I booked an executive room as it was our wedding anniversary also so was a bit of a treat. The room (number 55) was not too executive standard in my opinion. I actually called down to reception to see if there had been a mistake. It was clean and tidy but very average certainly not worth the £109 I paid. Refreshments were provided in the room however if you needed milk a call to reception was needed. Also the room had no air conditioning, which I was informed by friends staying in a standard room in the main part of the hotel they had and were more than happy with the room which had been very nicely refurbished. The breakfast was good however there were long queues for this as two staff tried to serve. Also a bit more attention should be paid to topping up self service items such as milk, bread and butter which all had to asked for from passing staff members. The wedding itself was lovely, food was good and tasty, bar prices not too expensive just a shame about the rooms. I was informed at check out that the rooms in that part of the hotel were due to be refurbished in September so would improve little consolation when people staying in standard rooms exceeded our quality.

2  Thank Claireypopz

Dear Claireypopz
Let me take this opportunity to thank you for your comments in relation to your stay here. I can only apologise for the shortcomings that you experienced. We are in the process on refurbishing the whole hotel to bring all the rooms to a standard that you have described in the other parts of the hotel. As these rooms were built some time ago we need to put more sound proofing in to make it all so much more comfortable when they are completed. The signs for the towels are for us to achieve a bronze rating from Green Tourism. The main reason for the milk sign as we serve the small pots of UHT milk and we do offer the service of fresh milk as some guests prefer that. I am shocked that housekeeping team have not changed the sign and I will take it up them. Thank you for your comments with regards to the wedding and the comments I have made have little consolation with your stay now being passed. I hope I can tempt you back for a stay after the refurbishment is complete.

Reviewed 20 July 2014

We decided at the last minute to go out for a meal rather than a barbecue at home as it was my birthday. We chose The Oaklands as it had good reports and the food looks amazing on their website. However, it didn't look quite the same when ours arrived at our table, but it was very tasty although the pig skin (aka crackling!) was very hard and although my wife has her own teeth she was certainly not chancing it! Also the dessert my wife had was not as described on the menu, having had some of the items replaced by others. The wine glasses could have done with a bit of a polish as they were not sparkling. However, I did enjoy my birthday.

1  Thank Weddings77

Dear Weddings77
I was pleased to read the review that you left as it gives us an opportunity to be able to improve some of the points that you raised. Thank you for the compliments with regards to the food. We do try to get each dish to look exactly as the website pictures and can only apologise for the items that had to be replaced on the day. We have just purchased some new glass ware as the one on the tables do look a little worn from the use they have had. Thank you again for your comments and I look forward to being able to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 12 July 2014

In a very good country location on the outskirts of Grimsby.

Lovely food well presented and very enjoyable.

There was a prom night on when I was there although this didn't affect the hotel.

The only public area other than the Restaurant appears to be a lounge area in reception with no actual bar area.

The service in the restaurant was atrocious absolutely no customer service. The bar staff never seemed to be where they should be and the restaurant manager only seemed interested in restaurant guests. I asked for another beer and after 10 minutes decided to find out where it was, apparently the barrel needed changing not a problem but would have been nice to know.

After my meal trying to sign off the bill was farcical as when he eventually turned up the restaurant manager was more interested in telling the bar man off for not being behind the bar. He wasn't there either at first and the waitresses didn't appear to know what to do! Completely unprofessional

Great restaurant, nice place to stay for couples and holiday.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Bruce S
barry f, Manager at Best Western Oaklands Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2014

Dear Bruce S
I was pleased to read the review that you left as it gives us an opportunity to be able to improve some of the points that you raised. Thank you for the compliments with regards to the food. I was a little shocked with your comments with regards to the service quality. We are constantly training to ensure that the service is of the best quality and can only apologise for the shortcomings on that day. The lounge area does offer a waitress service throughout that part with a separate lounge and the front of the hotel. The small bar does have stools for guests to use if that is found to be more comfortable. I do hope we are given a second chance to show improvements in the service in the near future. Thank you again for your comments and I look forward to being able to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

We came here for dinner, the food, the atmosphere, the staff, and the surroundings were splendid!! Would definitely be going again! Highly recommend coming here again! The staff were attentive, and felt like anything we needed we could ask for.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
barry f, Manager at Best Western Oaklands Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

Dear Antony B
Thank you for the fantastic review that you posted. It is always pleasing to receive such high praise from our customers. It gives me the belief that the constant training and improvements that we make around the hotel and restaurant are justified and will continue, as we want each and every customer to feel and experience what you have described.
Thank you again and hope to welcome you again very soon.

Reviewed 6 July 2014

What an excellent place for a wedding, I can't fault anything, the staff can't make you feel more at home you really feel like one of the family. they are all young things but with heads way beyond there age sitting on their shoulders nothing was to much trouble and you are genuinely made to feel welcome.
The grounds are amazing from the prettiest lawned gardens and trees to the stone work of the original house, the photographs look amazing.
The cost of the venue is around the same as anywhere else but the service is way beyond.
Thank You for making my daughters wedding that little bit more special.

Dear Michael C
Wedding days are the most special of days to most and each of those are as important to us as they are to the families that are joining together on the day. Thank you for your sincere Thanks and the kind words with regards to the hotel and its gardens. I do encourage all the team to look at trip advisor and they will certainly talk about this one.
Thank you again and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future or the 1st year anniversary at least.

Reviewed 6 July 2014

We have been here many times over the years and also got married here 11 years ago. The staff are lovely and the food is absolutely gorgeous. I have also arranged several company events here because the people are so accommodating and their prices are very reasonable. The Laceby Suite next door is also part of the hotel and we've held several company family barbecues there, as it's an enclosed area at the back and very safe for children. The rooms are lovely and the hotel also has free wi-fi.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Melanie A
Thank you for the fantastic review that you posted. It is always pleasing to receive such high praise from our customers. The Laceby Suite has now been renamed after the extensive refurbishment that was completed a short time ago to the Garden Room. It was so named after the gardens that you so rightly mentioned. The room is perfect for the events which you described and many more. Thank you again for the comments and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Regards

Also consider these accommodations in or near Laceby
3 mi away
4 mi away
Millfields Hotel
Millfields Hotel
#6 of 10 in Grimsby

Been to Best Western Oaklands Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!