“The Customer Service Really WAS Awful !!!”

The New Bridge Hotel - Scunthorpe
Ranked #10 of 12 Scunthorpe B&B and Inns
Reviewed 14 July 2014

I consider myself a polite person and I do avoid confrontation but I was forced to write this review as I am appalled at the management's response to my friend's review ! I am referring to holldoll13's 'Awful Customer service'.

I understand that it was inconvenient that we arrived at 10pm however, it was unavoidable as we were stuck in bad traffic and the journey that should have taken us 2 hours took almost 5 hours. As my friend stated in her previous review, we called the hotel to explain our situation and give them some warning that we would be arriving late when we hit the traffic, as we thought this was the correct and polite thing to do. WE DID GET A EXTREMELY RUDE AND UNCONCERNED RESPONSE from the woman that answered the phone at the Bridge Hotel.

Upon our admittedly late arrival, we were met by a woman that was again rude and unhelpful. When she approached the reception desk to see to us she simply shouted the name our booking was under to confirm who we were. We responded that it was us and that was the only conversation we got from her until she handed us a key and told us our room number. We then had a brief conversation about the code for the front door when we explained to her that we were here for a night out and she informed us we would need it to get in.

I was the one who went back to reception to ask for lemonade as my friend stated in her review. I am very upset that in the management's response I have been made out to have lied. I did ask for lemonade and was told that they only sold it on tap. However I was NOT given a price and it seemed clear to me that the woman did not want to help me by her ill mannered response to my question !!! Because of this I asked if there was a shop close by where I could purchase a bottle and was told that all the shops would be closed, again a very unhelpful response.
I then had to rely on one of the boys that the manager mentioned in her response to take me to a shop that was no more than 5 mins away and was very much OPEN !

The reason for our visit was a night out and because we had never been before our friends, 'the 3 boys', did meet us at the hotel for a drink and to show us how to get to the town center.
The incident that the manager highlights were one of our friends dropped a can out the window was true. However, we all told him it was a silly thing to do and when the same woman screamed at us through the open window in our room, which I believe was the wrong reaction and she could have handled it more professionally, the boy in question went straight out, picked up the can and apologised. He brought no warning of the noise level back with him. We could hear the conversation our friend had with the manager through the open window and also heard no warning of the noise level.

When the manager, accompanied by a gentleman, came up to our room. She again gave us no warning but shouted very aggressively for us all, quote 'including the girls', to leave to hotel. We argued that it was unfair not to give us a warning and the gentleman very nicely agreed. We left for our night out almost immediately. I still fail to understand how the manager was so upset with the noise level. We had no music on in our room and were simply getting ready and conversing with our friends, I can only imagine the reason other guests might have been able to hear us is because we had to prop the door open as the hotel room was extremely hot and stuffy, even with the windows open.
We arrived at 10pm and left for our night out at 11pm at the latest, this is confirmed in the management's response. Again I fail to see how we could cause that much upset in less than an hour.

I am embarrassed to admit that I was scared of the manager after her very unprofessional and aggressive response the the noise we were making. My friends and I are not unreasonable and would have responded to a firm but polite warning.

I have stayed in many hotels in the UK and have never felt so unwelcome or come across such poor customer service.

Finally, my friend forgot to mention in the first review how unhappy we were with the room itself. The walls had some small but noticeable stains and there wasn't even a bar of soap in the bathroom !

I would NEVER recommend The Bridge Hotel !

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
5  Thank JessieMc92

Reviewed 6 July 2014

I will never be returning to the Bridge hotel due to the horrendous customer service we received! When I booked at the bridge hotel online it asked for a time of arrival and I put down 5ish, I did not think I would have to stick to this as it is a hotel, Even tho I didnt think it was a problem I rang up to inform them we were going to arrive late an received a rude response from a lady on the phone which wasnt a great start, as me and my friend were driving to Scunthorpe we got a phonecall from the lady(unsure of name) asking where we where and so I informed her we were in stand still traffic and again nothing less than a rude response which I was just digusted by from a receptionist. When we finally arrived no warm welcome we had to wait at least 5 minutes after pressing the buzzer for someone to arrive which happened to be a woman. Again RUDE, no hello or anything just an awful attitude! Then my friend went to ask if we could buy some lemonade and she was told 'we only have it on tap' so my friend asked if we could have some in a jug to buy and the lady just said 'no'. We also got told off and asked to leave for being too noisey, it was before 11pm on a friday night. We had no music on and that was the 1st time we has been approached about the noise, just shouted at to leave, which we didnt(if I hadnt of pre paid I would of). We then went and had a great time in scunthorpe on a night out! Next morning the same woman saw us walk down the stairs to leave and I know this as we caught eye contact, and didnt even wait at reception so we has to just leave the key. Never would I tell anyone to stay there in fact I would tell people not too! Not surprised it was so quiet there!

• Stayed: June 2014
3  Thank Hollydolly91
Dee T, Manager at The New Bridge Hotel - Scunthorpe, responded to this reviewResponded 13 July 2014

Thank you Holly for taking time to give feedback to us regarding your one night stay at The Bridge Hotel
However you failed to give a full picture of your stay with us
1 Check in time is 10pm-you were to say the least very late
2 You failed to say that apart from the guest you booked in with there were also 3 boys in your room making a total of 5 people in one hotel bedroom-hence the noise
3 One of the boys was seen by myself throwing beer cans out of the bedroom window onto the terrace below, I called him down to pick up the cans and asked him if he did this type of thing at home? I also asked him to tell all of you to keep the noise down as other guests had complained, it was after all getting on for 11pm and we had a total of 11 guests staying that evening, not as quiet as you thought!
4 A guest then complained again 15 minutes later, saying that unless something was done about the noise coming from your room they would have to find alternative accommodation for the evening as they had a long journey the next morning home.
5 Yes your friend came and asked for a bottle of lemonade on which I told here we do not sell, as it it on draft at £2.75 a pint, her response was I'll go buy a bottle.
6 I do agree I shouted at you, behaving like children left me no alternative but to treat you as such!! yes I did tell you that anymore noise or misbehaving and I will ask you ALL to leave as I'd rather keep my other guests happy and we could all get some sleep.
I would not have you stay at this hotel again!
We pride ourselves on our customer care.........ask the six gentlemen that have been staying here for the past 7 weeks and the gentleman that has been here for 5 months Monday-Friday so I see no reason for your Awful customer service report, but again I thank you :)

Reviewed 29 April 2014

Stayed here last year and wasnt very impressed but have been informed it was under new management
What a difference, warm friendly welcome, clean reception area and stairs the room was a great improvement, clean tidy and bathroom was clean with fresh towels
Breakfast is a must, very tasty whatever your choice, nothing is too much.
will definatly be back again. Just one critisism,.....upgrade the TV's!!!!!!

Room Tip: Dont be put off by the train station next door, its pretty quiet through the night
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 March 2014

No one on reception! Took 15 minutes to be seen. Made our own way to our room which didn't look as if it had been cleaned! One of the beds looked like some-one had just got out of it! And there were hairs on the bedding. The bin had rubbish in from previous guests! I was also shocked to find there was no soap in the bathroom!! After having dinner with family (not at the hotel) I decided that I was not going to stay. Luckily for me I have family in the area who were able to put us up. Once again there was no-one on reception! How can you run a hotel without someone being there to speak to? I had to just leave the key on the reception desk. I will NOT be recommending the hotel to my family and friends.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Elaine73Mc
Reviewed 3 March 2014

Had an unusual experience here. In the first week of our stay, the hotel was dirty,- filthy pillows, towels- awful smell in areas throughout the hotel.
Our second week, with new managers, was a complete turn around. Clean, tidy, great service, even given a good breakfast! Would really recommend this hotel for contractors- cheap, and cheerful.
virtually no service- dirty

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
2  Thank Warren R
Reviewed 14 October 2013 via mobile

We travel al around Britain so used to hotels. Rooms were very basic but rooms are great size and as there was. 3 of us the very nicely gave us an adjoining room which was perfect. Breakfast in the morning was ok but we did go out the night before so we did struggle haha and the receptionist is FIT. !! would use Again when in the area.

Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed 14 October 2013

Very warm welcome. Good size bedroom and bathroom. Basically clean, just some mould in shower area, which could easily be removed. Maybe not so easy to see when cleaning the shower but clearly can be seen when standing in it.
Not a great problem but TV not working very well ? reception problem in the area.
No evening meal available but very nice Italian 5 minute walk away. Recommended by the hotel.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CandG47
Also consider these accommodations in or near Scunthorpe
The Royal
Forest Pines Hotel & Golf Resort - A QHotel
Larchwood Hotel
Larchwood Hotel
#3 of 12 in Scunthorpe

Been to The New Bridge Hotel - Scunthorpe? Share your experiences!