“Old fashioned, friendly and inexpensive”
Review of The Royal Hotel

The Royal Hotel
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Scunthorpe
Reviewed 25 February 2013

This hotel is old fashioned, and a little faded, but somehow quite nostalgic. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The room was fine except for being cold, and it was a very cold day when we arrived. There were 2 heaters in the room so we put them both on, and slowly it warmed up, but the bathroom was arctic (no heating in there). There was plenty of hot water, but the tile grouting around the shower needed a good scour to remove black mould. We had a meal in the pub (a John Barras group) and the food was good, typical chain pub grub. By the time we got back to our room it had warmed up and we got a good night's sleep. we told the duty manager about the cold room in the morning and he apologised. I should have reported it straight away the previous evening really and vowed always to make any shortcomings known immediately in future. Overall for the price we were happy enough with the Royal.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Roseananne
GoodNightInns, Guest Relations Manager at The Royal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2013

Dear Roseananne,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your review, your feedback has been passed to our management team to ensure that your comments regarding the room temperature and grout of the tiles can be addressed.

We are pleased to hear that overall you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again in the future.

There are newer reviews for The Royal Hotel

Reviewed 20 February 2013

We stayed overnight at the Royal because we were going to a concert at the Baths Hall, a 2-minute walk away - having read the reviews on here we were a little nervous to say the least about what we'd find when we checked in!

However, we had no problems at all, our room was fine, perfectly clean and the bed was comfy. The bathroom was clean and everything worked too.

Yes, its a basic hotel - a pub with rooms - so you have to find someone behind the bar rather than there being a staffed reception, and there are no frills - but the price we paid for the room reflected that.

We would stay here again, especially if we were going to the Baths Hall, as its just across the road and the bar prices in the Royal are even better than those at the venue.

I particularly liked the pictures in the rooms and corridors; rather than being generic pieces of abstract art of landscapes like you find in most hotels, they were all views of the local area; both industrial and rural, but they really reflected the place of the hotel.

Room Tip: We stayed in the 'deluxe' room for an extra few pounds, it was huge!
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
GoodNightInns, Guest Relations Manager at The Royal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2013

Dear WhirlpoolGrimsby,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your review, we are pleased to hear that the Royal Hotel was able to meet your requirements and look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Reviewed 6 January 2013

Not impressed with this hotel. Bedding had mold spots on them radiator not working small heater in the room which warmed the room up. Bathroom well what can I say about the toilet Hubby had to fix the toilet every time we had to flush it lucky for us it was only one night.
Staff was lovely breakfast was good enough for me as I only have cereals and toast, Hubby's cooked breakfast was very nice.
This place lets the staff down

Room Tip: find a different place
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
GoodNightInns, Guest Relations Manager at The Royal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2013

Dear Jacquiwoodward,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your review, we are soory to hear of the issues you received whilst visiting and have asked our management team to investigate.

Reviewed 23 December 2012 via mobile

Food is usual pub chain fare but reasonably nice, prices are very reasonable. Service is a little slow but friendly Worth a visit if you like cheap food and drink

When football is on TV can be busy. If you don't want to watch the football don't come here

• Stayed: November 2012
GoodNightInns, Guest Relations Manager at The Royal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 December 2012

Dear Riachsion,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your review, your feedback will be used to help improve the service at the Royal Hotel.

John Barras

Reviewed 21 December 2012

Dreadful service, no, make that no service at all.
Arriving in the snow, I was advised by the very same person who'd I'd made the booking with, they didn't have my room available.
Reasonable explanation or help to address the issue, had to be firmly insisted upon.
They could have done the honest and decent thing to prove some level of customer service, but would rather be ignorant.
By all accounts I had a lucky escape, the very decent local cab drivers were more than honest and helpful. Decent place for a drink but, awful accomodation by all acconts.
Best avoid.

Room Tip: Bring a cardboard box.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank M60LAN
GoodNightInns, Guest Relations Manager at The Royal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 December 2012

Dear M60LAN,

Thank you for your review, we are sorry to hear of the issues you received whilst trying to book in, we have asked our management team to investigate your feedback to understand why this happened.

Reviewed 18 December 2012 via mobile

I liked the hotel location and the free wi fi. Room was clean although the toilet wasn't as clean as it could of been!
They do a very good pint of Becks vier!
On the downside, after a 4 hour drive to the hotel, I was told to wait in reception when I wanted to check in, I waited for 10 minutes before someone eventually came out to me.
They had not opened the e-mail from my boss with payment details etc so i had to phone him and it took another 10 minutes to actually get my room key.
When I went down for dinner, my starter was out quickly but it was not hot. My main was okay but then I waited 25 minutes for my pudding (the waiter said the food alarm had been put on silent??)
There was no breakfast menu so I asked what I could have, I was told "you can have a full English" "erm okay then I'll have that"
It was swimming with grease. There really was no need to make it that greasy.
What has struck me with the staff is that 1. They are obviously understaffed and 2. The staff that they currently have really don't are about customer care.
As it stands now, the hotel isn't worth more than £35 b&b a night. My boss paid £54 a night. Expand the workforce, re-train or as a last resort replace staff and you will have an hotel with potential.
As it stands now, I won't be returning or recommending to any one.

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank Craig R
GoodNightInns, Guest Relations Manager at The Royal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 December 2012

Dear Craig R,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your review, we ar sorry to hear of the experience you received whilst visiting the Royal Hotel, we have asked our management team to investigate the issues you have raised.

Reviewed 2 December 2012

I really enjoyed my one night at this hotel. All the staff were very happy to help. I had to go into the bar to check in as the reception was not manned but someone checked me in straight away. I asked for a an ironing board and I got it very although it was very old and shabby. The staff were also really knowledgeable about the local area. I was provided directions to the place I was going and also advice on how to avoid the traffic which was nice. I had my evening meal at the bar and it was really tasty and good value for money, I would definitely recommend eating at the Royal. The breakfast the next morning was excellent and I left feeling stuffed. I also thought the room was well maintained and very clean. The staff obviously work very hard. The only negative was the building was in need of some maintenance work as the roof was leaking in several areas and there were pans in the corridor to collect water, they really need to get the roof fixed.

Room Tip: I stayed in a king size bed which was really comfortable. The room was of an adequate size and the b...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Sassy4885
GoodNightInns, Guest Relations Manager at The Royal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2012

Dear Sassy4885,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your review, we are pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again soon.

Good Night Inns

Also consider these accommodations in or near Scunthorpe
Wortley House Hotel
Arties Mill & Lodge
#1 of 2 in Brigg
Holiday Inn Express Grimsby
Best Western Premier Doncaster Mount Pleasant Hotel

Been to The Royal Hotel? Share your experiences!