“OK.. a little overpriced for what you got!” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Wortley House Hotel

Wortley House Hotel
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Scunthorpe
Gtr Manchester
“OK.. a little overpriced for what you got!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2013

Polite staff, who were willing to answer our questions (we had booked tickets at The Plowright and wanted to stay somewhere near!) We didn't venture into the bar or eat there due to other plans, but the entrance and reception were clean and welcoming.
However, the housekeeping needs to be addressed; Hairs (suspect ... and not ours) in the sink, lamp shade on lamp really dusty and completely skew-whiff, the amount of dust on the alarm clock was thick, to say the least, the room service menu, ammenities leaflet were stained and a comments card, completed in August of this year, was still there, suggesting that receiving feedback isn't a priority. Ok, so these are minor niggles.. not really impinging on our stay, BUT it could be easily addressed and kind of lets it down.
The shower however, was a complete and utter nightmare!! We struggled with it so much and never have either of us come across a shower which really puts your mental apptitude to the test! In fact, I thought my partner had lost the plot when I heard him laughing his head off in the bathroom, until I went in and found him shin deep in bath water (plug wasn't in!) but having a shower??!!!??; each time we used it, it took both of us to work out how to turn it off; the bath / shower ran in tandem and the plumbing couldn't work fast enough to get rid of the water; I'm completely sure that the taps decided to turn off and on in whichever direction they wished at that particular time.. it was, indeed, a shower possessed!!
So... other than the few bits needing to be addressed by housekeeping and a shower / bath that had it's own mind (at least it made us laugh!) the bed was comfortable and clean, the staff were friendly.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Alexandra E

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Polish first
gosport
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

Have stayed here a couple of times over the last few months
Whilst it may not be as modern as some of the newer business hotels/chains that are around for the working traveller it is a welcome stop
Have always been made welcome and with good food and a nice drop of beer I don't think you can go wrong at the prices they charge

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank pedlar_8
Sheffield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2013

Stayed here for a wedding recently. The hotel was clean and most of the staff were friendly and helpful.

Rooms are small but have everything you may need such as fan, hair dryer, tea making facilities etc.

Down side was our room was above one of the function rooms and loud music could be heard until the function ended, which would have been around 1am.

It is a 20 mins walk to centre of Scunthorpe, with an array of bars, shops etc.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Leigh-on Sea, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2013

I stayed at this privately owned hotel near the centre of Scunthorpe and from the moment I arrived to the time that I left, all the staff made me feel so welcome. Nothing was too much trouble. My room was spacious, light, very comfortable and totally suitable for my needs. The linen was pristine as were the towels. Double wardrobe with sufficient hangers, plenty of drawer space, full length mirror, large flat screen television, ample lighting, settee, coffee etc - everything to make my stay as restful as possible. The breakfast (served by delightful staff) was varied and there was everything available, fresh, to suit all appetites. I ate in both the bar and restaurant areas at dinner time and the food was of a very high standard and cooked fresh. The extensive menu is updated regularly. Also. if you are arriving back at the hotel later than planned, then you are able to book something to eat in advance. The staff are so friendly and helpful and attention to detail is of credit to them all. I would happily return to this welcoming hotel.

Room Tip: There are also apartments available at this hotel, which are an excellent idea, and well designed an...
Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Stella-Dot
Scunthorpe, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2013

i spend 3 days in scunthorpe, .couple of good restaurants , but the hotel let it down a bit. a fair value for the money,quite clean rooms,overall just decent.soon i will be back homme, but my bussiness gone bring me back to scunthorpe.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
Neath, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2013 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel on business recently and it did the job fine. The welcome I received at check-in was friendly and efficient. The reception and bar area were smartly decorated and gave a decent first impression. As you head upstairs though it gets a bit more nineties. My room (18) was a good size, clean and tidy, having everything you would expect from a 3-star hotel but nothing that stood out as special. The addition of hot chocolate in the drinks tray was nice. The bathroom was clean and fresh, however the shower took a good 5 minutes of fiddling to get it to stay at the right temperature. Toiletries were provided but consisted of handwash and shampoo & body wash dispensers, ok but I would have liked a decent bar of soap and some face wash too.

Breakfast was served by a very polite and friendly member of staff. The choice was good, a continental buffet and/or full English plus additional items. The breakfast quality was average.

The B&B rate for this hotel was £70 for a double. If I am in the area again for business I would probably stay here due to its location for my needs. If I was travelling for pleasure though I'd probably look at the Premier Inn first.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Thomas B
Crowthorne, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2013

We were referred to this hotel following a booking error with another made via booking.com Big mistake not to double check - having a confirmation note is not enough. Anyway the staff could not have been more caring or helpful. The room was fine. A nice large comfortable bed. We asked that the TV remote be fixed but somehow that got missed but not a major issue for us. We ate in and had a nice evening meal in the bar area. The Hotel is perhaps dated in part but it gives as you would want. There is a large car park and our room was very peaceful

Room Tip: We had room 9. It had a large bed plus setting area. If the hotel were busy I could imagine late n...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Scunthorpe
The Royal Hotel
The Royal Hotel
#5 of 5 in Scunthorpe
Premier Inn Scunthorpe Hotel
Forest Pines Hotel & Golf Resort - A QHotel
Premier Inn Hull City Centre Hotel
Premier Inn Hull City Centre Hot...
#2 of 17 in Kingston-upon-Hull
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,330 reviews
The River Don Tavern And Lodge
Budleigh House
Budleigh House
#1 of 1 in Susworth

Been to Wortley House Hotel? Share your experiences!