“Mixed Feelings”

Cosgrove Guest House
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Scunthorpe
Cosgrove Guest House
Ranked #5 of 12 Scunthorpe B&B and Inns
bigalxyz
“Mixed Feelings”
Reviewed 5 March 2013

I've just had a 2-night stay here. The staff are friendly, and the prices are reasonable (£32/night for a single room) but I was left feeling slightly disappointed, in spite of the favourable reviews on this website.

The room was ok but the mattress in my bed was quite "wallowy".

The free wi-fi was terribly slow - pretty much useless.

The radiator in the room needed bleeding - it was only hot at the bottom, not at the top - and this made keeping the room warm tricky. I mentioned this to one of the staff, but it wasn't done.

The shower was very small - closing the shower door was quite difficult - and the shower head was badly encrusted with limescale.

Also the lock on my window was absent, which meant that anyone could have climbed in & stolen my possessions while I was out. Not good.

I note others' more positive experiences but I'm not sure I would go here again.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Farnham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 November 2012

The Cosgrove is a great guest house - very convenient for the town centre. We've stayed in the double en-suite and the twin rooms and beds are comfortable in both. Lashings of hot water, lovely and warm in the winter, and a nice cooked breakfast. Very clean.

Parking is available outside the guest house - we've always managed to find a space. When travelling alone I feel safer here than in a traditional hotel. Friendly welcome. I prefer it to the Premier Inn.

We can't bring ourselves to try any of the other guest houses in case they're not as good as this one!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RuthP610
Lkpg, Sweden
Reviewed 24 August 2012

We had a very good time at Cosgrove Guest House. We couldn't make the breakfast times as we had to leave early in the mornings but Barry really went out of the way to make sure we had good breakfast anyway. And the morning when we could make the sit-down-breakfast time we all had special requests and he just met them all, in always good mood. All in all the guest house is clean, friendly, neat rooms and with a very decent price. If we ever get back here (to go skydiving at Hibaldstow) we'll for sure stay here!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Eliwe
Rotherham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 December 2011

First visit when stranded in snow. Now home from home.
Always a friendly welcome. Nothing is too much trouble for the owners and staff. Rooms are clean and comfortable. Breakfasts are wonderful and always served with a smile and a chat. Too close for my liking to surrounding shops as I always manage to over spend when I stay there. Great value for money.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Tina460
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 November 2011

I stayed in the double twin room downstairs at the back of the house which was clean, comfortable, warm and quite quiet with a good sized en suite. The hosts Sandra & Barry were extremely pleasant and helpful and the use of the gym across the road was an added bonus. I would certainly stay there again, given the opportunity.

Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Moira G
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 28 August 2011

We had a wonderful week at the Cosgrove, Barry and his staff did everything they could to ensure that we had a great week. The breakfasts were delicious, the room was clean and comfortable. It was a breath of fresh air to see someone work so hard to ensure that all guests had a pleasant stay.
Thank you and well done.

Joan & Ges from Oz

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Joan H
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 June 2011

Very pleasant and friendly host and staff. Light sleepers beware as some rooms have thin walls (which is a risk if neighbouring guests stay up late, which mine did!). Also, wifi internet connection a bit slow. But good value accommodation and I would certainly recommend it (with the above in mind).

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Scunthorpe
The Royal Hotel
#4 of 12 in Scunthorpe
Kirks Korner Motel
Kirks Korner Motel
#3 of 4 in Scunthorpe

Been to Cosgrove Guest House? Share your experiences!