“National centre for craft & design”

National Centre for Craft & Design
Ranked #6 of 20 things to do in Sleaford
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: From small seeds has grown a superb national centre. In the beautiful setting of Navigation Wharf in Sleaford sits an old seed warehouse. But it’s not what you’d expect, for this converted warehouse is home to British craft and design. We are the largest venue in England entirely dedicated to the exhibition, celebration, support and promotion of national and international contemporary craft and design. Under one roof, our five gallery spaces showcase up to 20 world-class exhibitions every year from the most innovative, challenging and accomplished artists to new and emerging talent. Our stimulating learning programme inspires people of all ages, skills and interest levels and our shop is a cultural haven for the latest contemporary handmade products. We are also home to Design Factory, the UK’s leading professional development organisation for British designer-makers and artsNK, the country’s largest rural arts development agency that specialises in visual and performing arts projects.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Baby buggy parking, Food available for purchase, Stairs / lift, Activities for older children, Activities for young children, Wheelchair access
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Well if you have an hour to spare (the limit for free parking) go somewhere else!! If that is the best we can do to represent british design lets pack up the last one out turn out the lights! I admit that I am not very arty but by definition of the title I would have expected to see British design at its best. There were 2 exhibitions which were ok but not for me. A large building with not a lot in it. Front desk staff very good - cafe not inviting. I would swerve this one!

2  Thank Rick H
"rainy day"
"worth a visit"
in 4 reviews

Reviewed 31 May 2014

I visit quite frequently, usually for the art exhibitions but sometimes simply for the café. The art varies, of course, but is really good enough times to justify checking what is on display. The top floor has a disconcerting slight movement in anything above a light breeze. The frequently free carparking is a good incentive to pop in, as is the close proximity of the town centre.

A regular surprise is the smell of urine in the Gents toilets despite them appearing clean - I'm sure that they are well-used but many attractions avoid this lingering odour perhaps by cleaning in a different way.

Reviewed 11 May 2014

We purchased a groupon voucher for afternoon tea, and enjoyed the free entry to this modern space / art gallery as an added bonus. Some of the exhibits , particularly the video installations, were a little beyond my two daughters, and it was a shame that some of the artwork was not more accessible for them. The activity tables were great for younger children, but not much there for our 11 and 14 year old. My husband and I particularly enjoyed the roof top gallery exhibition on "the darker side of felting" , in which the exhibits were really exceptional. But this exhibition is, I believe, closed now. The shop was quite interesting, and the staff were very friendly. The afternoon tea was not amazing, but the cake was very good, as was the coffee. It was certainly value for money, the entry is free, and we all really enjoyed ourselves. It is a great space and well worth a visit.

1  Thank Steph12014
Reviewed 8 May 2014

Went to the centre with my Mum when she was visiting me. We were here about an hour and had a good look around. Some weird and wonderful exhibitions when we were there and we would go back to look at others in the future.
Cafe service was slow (only seemed to be one person working) but coffee/tea was good and very cheap.
The shop has some beautiful gifts and I will certainly go back to look for presents for friends and family.

See more reviews
Reviewed 6 May 2014

I found out about this centre at our hotel Branston Hall, Lincoln and as I am heavily into textiles I thought it worth a visit. It was in between displays in the various Galleries but there was one on Felt. This was absolutely fantastic with Textiles Artists from around the world showing their work. The wearable art and sculptures on show were mind blowing and if you have ever done felting and know how hard it is you will be amazed at the skill and design, best I have seen. I will keep checking this Centre to see what is on for other visits in the future as it will be worthwhile to me and as is it the National Centre it will attract the best Artists.

1  Thank Barbara B