“Disappointing” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 2 Winteringham B&B and Inns
Nottinghamshire
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2007

We spent a Saturday night at Wintringham Fields recently having been there twice before. Some changes have been made and the ambience is not as it was - interesting,
locally sourced food in a relaxing atmosphere.
Now it all seems a mixture of styles, some unsuitable for a village on the south bank of the Humber. The new dining room reminded me of the Middle East with its central dome and ornate chandelier. I do like the Middle East but not in Lincolnshire.The far wall was upholstered in shiny crimson. There was a giant window in this to view the chefs at work.
The food was variable. They were extremely busy that day.
Our room was quaint but but too ornate and looked a little tired in places.
Cost - well I could have had a cheap hotel in London and gone to somewhere posh to eat and had some change.
Oh well - we enjoyed ourselves anyway .

• Stayed November 2007, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Annedeg

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2007

We had heard such great things about this place and given we live 40 minutes away we felt we had to try it at some point. I took the initiative of making it a surprise birthday present for my husband! For all the time that it was a secret (and I booked 3 months in advance) I was just looking forward to this so much. Having dined at Ramsays, Jamie Oliver's and other Michelin rated establishments I was just dying to try this one that was supposed to be even better than anywhere else we'd been.

We arrived late afternoon and were shown to our room by a helpful employee whom we later recognised as the sommelier. I'd booked one of the nicest suites they had - the Burkill Suite and it was a real treat. We had a dressingroom, bedroom, huge bathroom with corner bath and a large power shower cubicle and a lounge. Lots of nice toiletries, robes, magazines etc. I did balk that the sewing kit (if I chose to buy a new one) would cost £65!

We went through for our meal at 8pm and were shown to a small lounge where the maitre d' explained the menu to us and we opted for the Tasting Menu after giving him a whole list of food we didn't like. We also went ahead and requested the sommelier match a glass of wine per course. I don't do things by halves!

I cannot deny that the food was technically superb. There were some nice touches such as a stool for my handbag and 4 choices of bread with 4 different butters and the impressive cheese trolley all of which have been mentioned before. And I can sense that you can sense that inevitable...but...

And the but was that it was a technically brilliantly executed experience but with little panache, flaire, personality, whatever you want to call it. All the staff were very polite (they weren't snooty). nothing was too much trouble, the food was excellent and although the decor was meant to be country chic in warm colours, the whole experience felt quite sterile. I felt like a faceless guest, one of many who are given excellent treatment, but no tmade to feel at home.

Having the sommelier come round each course telling us about the wine usually allows for some interaction and witty repartee but he was just too much of a professional. Did his job well but didn't get to know him and part of the joy of spending time with such professionals is to find out about their experiences and what they like. The only time we saw a glimpse of this was with Benoit, the cheese host but unfortunately he was only with us 10 minutes of the whole night.

We left feeling we'd had a lovely time (paid for the privilege) but that there are other better places to spend this small fortune on.t To be fair there is only one fault; this lack of personality but it was just sucha big grey cloud that affected the whole experience making it slightly disappointing.

I saw the owner during our time there and once again he was the epitome of professionalism. He greeted me and directed me to the ladies with a smile but still didn't feel that personal touch and that is a real shame because they have so much to be proud of. I'd have loved to have seen some personal pride not just technical brilliance. I came expecting to be blown away and really I jsut felt a little puff of disappointment.

• Liked — Loved the comfort of the suite
  • Disliked — If I'm being really picky a better hairdryer would be nice.
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Fondofgoodtravel
Doncaster
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2007

This was our second stay at Winteringham having previously stayed there early last year. Billed as a "restaurant with rooms", the emphasis is obviously very much on the restaurant which has won many awards (see their website) and apparently has attracted the Dutch Royal Family over to Lincolnshire in the past.

We arrived at around 5.30 and were shown immediately to our room which was above the restaurant. Accommodation is divided into three areas; the main building, the courtyard which adjoins the main building and a separate annexe which is just a two minute walk away. We had originally booked the Thomas Westoby suite but were informed shortly after booking that there had been a mix-up and were offered several other suites instead. We chose the Robert Marmian suite which turned out to be quite small with a low beamed ceiling which might have presented a problem for taller people (especially those who had over-indulged on the wine). However, the whole Winteringham experience is about the food and our room was more than adequate to retire to after the meal with very full stomachs.

Before your meal you are shown into one of several beautifully decorated lounges to deliberate over the menu. The A La Carte offers a dizzying array to choose from but we opted for the tasting menu which consists of six courses (although you actually end up eating around a dozen with all the bits in between). We ordered a single bottle of red, but you can pay extra and allow the luxury of a different wine being chosen for you to complement each course.

The food itself is simply stunning. My big worry was that it couldn't be as good as last time...but it turned out to be even better. The tasting menu changes on a daily basis and I can't honestly remember everything, but the main course of Duck particularly stands out. Another highlight was the arrival of the cheese trolley which is presented by Simon Jacques. It's an absolute treat just to listen to him let alone sample some of the 30+ varieties of cheese whose texture and taste he can describe perfectly.

The staff are all as courteous as one would expect without being too intrusive. I have to mention the handbag stool which is not something we have encountered in other establishments but which provided a source of amusement and also an extra obstacle for staff to negotiate.

After having eaten at several top restaurants in London, we can honestly say that we haven't found anything to compare with the fayre on offer at Winteringham and we feel very fortunate to have such a wonderful place almost on our doorstep. I know it's a little off the beaten track but maybe that adds to its charm and I certainly wouldn't hesitate in recommending the place to anyone.

• Liked — The food
  • Disliked — Not being able to eat there every night
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled as a couple
5 Thank DonnyOwl
Middlesbrough
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2007

40th birthday meal and overnight stay.
Food excellent- best I've eaten. Had the 6 course tasting menu- not cheap, but extremely good quality and served with a fair amount of theatre.
The whole experience was superb. Food ordered in the conservatory whilst being served canapes. Sommelier helpful and unpretentious. We overheard him helping another couple select extravagant wines costing hundreds of pounds. He was equally attentive with us and our more modest budget.
Have to disagree with the reviewer who thought the place lacked atmosphere and needed piped music to avoid hearing conversations of fellow diners.
Yes the staff do walk around with one arm held behind their backs, but so what, we liked that! My wife was offered what she thought was a foot-stool- it was actually for her handbag. Could be thought of pretentious? We just thought it was funny, especially as she was the only woman without a handbag.

Overall, highly recommended. Food very high standard, wine list extensive. Service excellent. Not cheap, about £450 for 2 for meal, wine, overnight stay and breakfast, but you do get what you pay for.

• Liked — Food, wine, service, room
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank BezRyder
Cambridge, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2007

I won a competition that enabled my hubby and I to stay here and enjoy DB&B. One thing's for sure, not only would I never even have known about it - but we couldn't have justified the extravagance of this venue ordinarily! We were very lucky to have had this opportunity! This place has recently been voted the best place to eat in Lincolnshire - but I think it's one of the best places I've eaten at in the whole of the UK!

The first thing that strikes you about this place is its unpretentiousness. I guess you could say that about all of Lincolnshire (I'd not visited the county much before this) and the village of Winteringham itself is rather, well, ordinary! There's a quaint side, with a post office and a general store, two pubs (both a bit "spit and sawdust" - but very friendly), and round the corner the ubiquitious small council estate. But only a mile away is the glorious landscape of the Humber estuary which is home to many nature reserves and is dominated by the Humber bridge, which held its own in the history books when it was built in 1981. The setting sun over the flat, rural countryside is quite something.

The hotel itself is a low building, made up of lots of different ancient buildings that have made the current restaurant and lounge areas into a maze of low-ceilinged, different levelled cosy rooms. We were a bit suprised not to be offered o'deurves when we sat in the dark-red, incense-smelling lounge area for pre-dinner drinks. They were at extra cost (bit fortunately not for us)! which wasn't very welcoming. But they were very nice and included caviar. For dinner we were on a table close to an old range which doubled-up as a place for the waiters to keep things warm on. It was very ambient. As to the previous reviewer who wanted music - perhaps a michelin-starred place is not for them. This is where you appreciate the quiet, subtle unpretentious service that only a quality place like this can produce.

We stayed in a room that was not actually IN the hotel. It was just up the street (100 yards) in a very tastefully converted ancient house. The bathroom was huge and the bed large and comfortable. There were a few things missing from a room in this price-bracket though - for instance, in the separate kitchen area - why weren't there different sorts of teas to choose from? Where was the radio and/or CD? And why did we have to ask for a second set of bath towels? However, overall the room was lovely and full of stylish "antiques" and personal touches (including the most amazing needlework box I have ever seen)! And of course they came to turn down our bed during the evening and left a helpful reminder about the clocks going forward an hour tonight.

Dinner was to be the "surprise" menu - which was a total of about 6 courses (i lost count), including roast Bressingham duck and a risotto and veal creation that was very nice. There were 2 desserts - both a flavour sensation! The service throughout was very friendly - not at all what you normally get with a michelin-starred restaurant. Each staff member made an effort to ask what we thought of each dish etc. the cheese man in particular was an experience - he knew literally everything about the cheese and how it was produced and where it came from etc. the Sommelier was English (!!!) yes the first one I have met. he too was very very knowledgeable and very friendly.

We met the chef - Robert Thomson. Amazing that he's only 24. He was the student of the previous chef who was here (who had 2 stars) who retired. I'm sure he will have a fantastic future ahead of him. What amazed me was we spoke to him (after a tour of the kitchen) at about 11pm after he'd finished service - and he looked as fresh-faced and bushy-tailed as he could have done at 7pm! Not a single sign of a stressful evening at all! And after about 50 covers of 6 courses each. Amazing.

As you can imagine, we didn't have anything much for breakfast (although the selection was very good). But the pastries and fruit were all fresh and a good selection of teas were on offer! The cheese man was there to wave us off - they are closed on Sundays and Mondays so I expect they were glad to get their weekend.

Overall, highly recommended. I just hope you can get someone else to pay if you are thinking of going. £25 for a single glass of champers is a bit steep. We could have easily spent over £400 for one nights DBB. Bring the credit card - but enjoy the experience! There's not many places in the UK where you can get this level of service with such excellent food, in such humble surroundings.

• Liked — food and service
  • Disliked — value for money
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank Wowzap
Barton, North Lincolnshire
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2006

> We went to Winteringham Fields restaurant for the first time yesterday - three course lunch for £36 and about 333 for a lovely bottle of South African red. The food was to die for; amazing combinations of flavours. First there was a freebie soup of beetroot with an almond 'froth' followed by another freebie of glorified liver and onion but wonderful. Even choosing bread rolls was an experience - rosemary focaccia, salmon and dill bread, black pudding bread and others.
> Also the sommelier was incredible. Faced with a wine list the size of a family bible, this young man could descibe the taste of every wine listed!
> But, the whole experience was so boring!!
> Why do they not have any music? We were subjected to having to listen to other people's conversation and to think twice about what we said because they could hear us.
> Why do the staff have to be so stuffy? They were all very pleasant but there was no sense of 'theatre' at all. The younger waitresses seemed very ill at ease and they all walked about with one hand behind their back - making a fist in most cases!
> The food was wonderful but this is such a small part of the experience of going to a reastaurant.
> Winteringham Fields have obviously put a tremendous amount of time and effort into getting the food and drink just right but why is the rest of the experience so bad? A bit of appropriate background music and a bit of panache from the waiters would certainly have me coming back for more.

22 Thank 4830linda
Also consider these accommodations in or near Winteringham
Beverley Tickton Grange Hotel
#1 of 1 in North Ferriby
Ashbourne Hotel
Ashbourne Hotel
#1 of 1 in North Killingholme

Been to Winteringham Fields? Share your experiences!