“Winteringham Fields, 1st Class Food, 1st Class Service.”

Winteringham Fields
Ranked #1 of 2 Winteringham B&B and Inns
Reviewed 31 October 2013

We decided to visit the Winteringham Fields restaurant after watching Colin McGurran on BBC's Saturday Kitchen. The 6 course surprise menu was amazing, so full of flavour and a real treat! Recommended

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
wintfields, Owner at Winteringham Fields, responded to this reviewResponded 20 November 2013

Thank you for your review. It’s a pleasure to hear you enjoyed your menu, and I do hope to welcome you back to Winteringham Fields in the not too distant future.

Regards

Colin McGurran

Reviewed 27 October 2013

Booked an overnight stay for my Husband 50th Birthday. Stayed in the Turpin room, which was a couple of minutes walk away from the restaurant. Room nice but definitely not worth the £180 it cost. Cobwebs on the light fitting, bin broken. We have stayed at other well known chefs accommodation and this what not in the same league,but cost the same!! Only one biscuit(not even home-made) each to go with the instant tea/coffee & Long life milk. I think this need addressing. Nice toiletries. We had very noisy neighbours who insisted on playing loud music both in the evening and early Sunday morning.
Breakfast - continental was included in the room price, but not a good breakfast. Not much choice, and more pre package. My husband paid an additional £18 for eggs Benedict, which was rather pricey and not the best he has tasted.

The service and attention in the restaurant was faultless.
We had a glass of pink champagne at a cost of £18 each, but thought we would treat ourselves.
We chose the surprise menu with wine pairing and can not fault anything. It was sublime.
It would have been nicer to have been given a little more time between the courses. to let things digest a little. The ambience in the restaurant was a little strange. A bit stuffy. Felt like you had to whisper!
All in all we had a lovely evening. Would we return? probably not. The cost was more than we have paid for staying & eating at a 2 Michelin star restaurant.
Would recommend for others to try if a foodie!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank CarterFamily5

Thank you for your detailed review, it is very much appreciated.
It’s such a shame to hear that you did not find your room to be of a high standard, as this is one of our most requested suits. We try to accommodate for all guest therefore this is the reason we supply tea and coffee to the rooms, we would have been more than happy to prepare some homemade biscuits or pastries for you had they been requested. I apologise profusely that your neighbours disturbed you, but again if we had been made aware we would have resolved the situation instantly on your behalf. Our continental breakfasts consist of cereals, fruits, yoghurts, breads and homemade pastries which I believe to be more than adequate considering we are a restaurant with rooms and not a hotel. Your comments regarding the menu and service are very kind. All our wine is carefully selected to compliment the flavours of each course, and I am pleased you found this to be the case. I do hope you will not write us off just yet and that we may welcome you back to Winteringham Fields in the future.

Regards

Colin McGurran

Reviewed 22 October 2013

We stayed one night here and had a evening meal. The food is excellent taster menu is exstensive with an amazing cheese trolly where you can pick cheeses from all over the world! The staff are friendly and helpfull. The rooms are very cosy and have a lovely comfie bed. The breakfast is exceptional, silver service everything you could want !

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 October 2013

We recently stayed for two nights here and enjoyed some outstanding food and wines. The tasting menu was delightful, original and witty, and the a la carte, the following evening, yielded some extra taste experiences too. The mi cuit salmon, the spatzl, the liver parfait, the pre dessert mouthful, the quail.......We have left inspired and very well fed! Luckily we were walking with our dog so earned every mouthful! It is a remote and less visited part of Lincolnshire but well worth the detour.
Our bedroom was comfortable but lacked the usual plug socket, mirror and chair, all in the same place, which is a basic for drying your hair. Otherwise, the bed was comfortable and the bathroom was great too. However it is for the wonderful dinners and their accompanying wines that we shall return! Even the dinner bread was wonderful (but please serve it at breakfast instead of the sliced cardboard).
We will return!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 October 2013

My wife and I treated some family members to the 6-course tasting menu for Saturday lunch. We had been once before and were looking forward to our return visit to share with our family who had never been. WF did not disappoint. We enjoyed a relaxed aperitif in one of the snugs where my brother and I tried the caviar and smoked salmon entrée. This set the standard for the rest of the meal, which from course one through 6 were sublime. We took-on the cheeseboard to finish, followed by retiring to a different snug for coffee and petit-fours - both of which we highly recommend. As with our previous visit, the service was truly outstanding. As their website describes, it was discreet and understated, delivered by attentive and knowledgable staff. Truly special. This place, led by head chef Colin McGurran is a real gem in rural Lincolnshire, which although highly recommended with its five AA Rosettes, is surely only a matter of time away from a first Michelin Star. The only question remaining in my mind is why it has to rely so heavily on its association with discount websites such as Vouchercloud, Living Social and Groupon. Is this iconic Lincolnshire establishment in need of a better PR / Marketing campaign?  Thanks for a superb meal WF, we will be back.

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed 12 October 2013

Our room was in the main building and was certainly comfortable with appealingly traditional decor but with benefits such as spa bath.

It is hard to be critical of WF, the staff are pleasant, efficient and knowledgeable. The standards are very high and we look forward to staying and dining again.

Can restaurant staff be too efficient? We had the taster menu and enjoyed the whole experience but I would suggest that the kitchen somehow slows down the evening. There are a lot of delicious tastes but they followed in such quick succession that there was barely time to appreciate the previous dish before the next arrived.

A moan. The room rate makes it clear that a cooked breakfast is extra -£18 as I recall. With a bill of several hundred pounds it just seems a bit tardy - better to hide it in the room rate. This is rural Lincolnshire not Royal Berkshire.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank dazler01
Reviewed 11 October 2013

We had the surprise tasting menu and every course was fantastic. This was our second visit and I must admit Whilst I enjoyed my food first tine round I thought the food even better this time. The carrot juice was like no carrots I've ever tasted before, how can carrots taste this good? This should be bottled and sold, it's like liquid gold!

I was delighted that Colin's winning started from the great British menu was served, this was stunning. I won't list each course as I wouldn't want to spoil the surprise for you, but all I can say is its worth every penny. I'm looking forward to going again for the winter menu.

There is a vast wine menu, with some exceptional wines at exceptional prices, we choice a £50 Barolo which was delicious.

Our room was stunning it had its own patio which unfortunately due to the bad weather we didn't use, but one for a summer evening. The room had a beautiful bathroom, including a high tech tv.

If I was being over critical there are two things I would expect from this standard of establishment that I didn't get and both are connected to the room not the restaurant. Firstly, pre bought packet biscuits on the coffee tray, I think was a tad cheap in a £200 room. Personally I would have preferred home made or none at all. (Very picky I know, but the yorke arms provide this, And I think wf is in that league) Secondly fresh milk kept in a small flask not uht!

Lovely night, fantastic food cannot wait to come back!

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Been to Winteringham Fields? Share your experiences!