“A good experience”

Crathorne Hall Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Crathorne
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Came here on a one night break with my sister - a prize won in a raffle. We enjoyed it but not sure we would have been so happy if paying the going rate for our experience. On arrival the place seemed rather gloomy - approach through the dark green woods to the house with lots of dark wood panelling, mostly unremarkable paintings and, in parts, looking a little shabby. There are lots of stairs to climb to the rooms. The gardens were disappointing with a lack of colour and character even in July although beautifully manicured lawns.
The house is not old, completed in 1906 financed by profits from the Lancashire cotton trade. Family marriage into the aristocracy, involvement in the Conservative politics, elevation to the peerage, supporting the arts and being at the centre of village and agricultural life continued the Downton Abbey theme. And there is a list of worthies who have stayed here including the Queen Mother, Prince Charles, Benjamin Britten, Yehudi Menuhin, and the cast of Cambridge Footlights otherwise known as the Monty Python cast, as well as an impressive (if you like that sort of thing) list of Conservative prime ministers.
Our rooms were comfortable if a bit gloomy. As one would expect in a 4-star hotel beds were comfortable, bathrooms pleasant with lots of hot water and good quality toiletries. Staff were faultlessly polite and helpful. As a previous reviewer said, it felt quite warm but being able to open windows made it possible to regulate that.
For me the food was a highlight. Dinner was very good as one would expect in a fine dining restaurant. Vegetarians were well catered for with alternative canapes quickly provided on request and a choice of vegetarian courses. Breakfast was excellent. I especially appreciated the range of fruit and good cooked vegetarian choices.
Overall a very pleasant experience but lacking any special magic.

Room Tip: The rooms at the back have nicer views overlooking open countryside whereas those at the front overl...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Peter L, General Manager at Crathorne Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2014

Dear Safariwomen,
Thank you for your review and it was a real pleasure to have you stay with us.

I was delighted to read that you loved the food, and great to hear that you highlighted our breakfast offerings that we believe offers a great selection of choices and covers those guests who would like a vegetarian option.

i do feel however that you did not quite get the magic of Crathorne and there is a number of 'wow' factors that we offer all our guests everyday from the facilities in the bedrooms to our friendly service by staff of which all are very local to the house and know the area very well.

Our 15 acres of land has a lovely woodland and there is plenty of daylight coming into the house with the very large windows in all the public rooms. We continue to work through our maintenance plan and investment plan throughout the year so we can maintain and improve back of house and front of house service so there continues to have a feeling of elegants that guests can indulge and enjoy.

The hotel is looking stunning at the moment with lovely lawned grass to the front and rear of this majestic house and we have a number of planters and hanging baskets full of blooming flowers. We are also currently increasing our bedding plants where possible.

I hope my feedback reassures your views and I hope we will get the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future - Christmas for me is extra special with all the Christmas trees and decorations!

kind regards

Reviewed 5 July 2014

Having picked this hotel for 3 day's we set out on high spirits, arriving we were greeted in a most polite and helpful way, taken to our room (be worned it's a stately home so lots of stairs) and things went down hill from that. Not up to the executive room I booked far from it ,and it make worse the wash hand basin in the bathroom was broken. Only 3 coathangers in the wardrobe so rang for more, (staff very helpful and polite). Went to meet my family for tea (very well served) then back to unpack still no hangers waited half an hour then went to get my own, which I found in the hall downstairs. This Hotel now looks a little warn, if you are at a wedding or conference fine as you will only be staying one night, we stayed three so did not expect the menu to be the same every night,some variety would have been most welcome. At breakfast I would have liked something from the buffet table but was put off by the flies all over the cheese and meats, these shoud have been covered. Good job I was not a hotel inspector or the star rating would have been lost. Having said all this the staff were good it's up to Handpicked hotel group to keep the place up to 4 star rating but they don't seem to be bothered with holiday bookings as long as the funtions do well. This is not a cheap hotel so we all expect the best, we will just have to stick to the hotels we know and trust.

Room Tip: Go and have a look first ,we did find a lift but not told about it although not sure it would have b...
1  Thank Foxy L

Dear Foxy L
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us.

It was very kind of you to mention that you were looked after well by the staff who I know will be pleased to know this.

You will also be pleased to note that all the elements of your comments have been resolved as we continue to maintain and enhance the experience of our guests, to make them feel special. We have an excellent service and care level and we wish to make sure this continues with all our guests every day.

Kind regard

Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed for a wedding, great wedding venue set in manicured grounds. Staff were very welcoming and professional, rooms where very big ample space with king size beds and separate walk in robe.
Food over the 2 days was of a high standard. The only disappointment was the bar service on our first day we was unable to buy a drink from the bar, we had to go to reception to let them know we wanted a drink and had to wait for a staff member to come out to us. I would recommend Crathorne for weddings or luxury breaks

Stayed: July 2014

Dear Keith M
Great to hear you had a fabulous time at the wedding you attended at Crathorne Hall.

Really please you enjoyed yourselves and appreciated the hard work that goes into the grounds along with the very large rooms we have in the main house!

I hope you will come back to us for more of a leisure break next time.

kind regards

Reviewed 28 June 2014

I stayed here with colleagues on business. I was in a single room. First impressions were great, large room with ornate touches and a premium feel.

The main issue was the temperature. I had the window open, even turned the heated towel rail off In case that contributed. It was so hot I felt ill.

The second issue was no phone signal, and unreliable internet. Whilst the building is a stunning old building, it is impractical for internet to be poor when travelling on business. I asked at reception but their level of knowledge was poor.

For me the hotel is disappointing, and not worth the price. In future I will stay elsewhere.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Dear Janey S

Thank you for your feedback.

i was sorry to learn that you felt it was not suitable for your stay. We have since checked the internet and we are getting a strong signal and we have also upgraded this for the benefit of our corporate guests of which there are many throughout the year and is free.

Mobile phone signal is good for most of the networks but a couple can be concerning but are available.

Crathorne offers more than just a corporate feel and we do have some great rooms that link into some great corporate rates.

hope we will see you again in the future.

Reviewed 26 June 2014

Stayed overnight as corporate guest. Reception excellent. Dinner despite being corporate was excellent helped by the fact that we were able to choose our courses when checking in.
Problem was the room which was very hot with sash windows that wouldn't stay open. I had a disabled room despite being able-bodied and I concluded that because of the lethal, slippery wet room they were trying to disable me. Whoever laid the tiles should know you don't put shiny porcelain tiles on a wet room floor.(I had put down the rubber mat but nowhere near big enough)

Also the bedding was dreadful - a winter-weight microfibre duvet and pillow on one of the warmest night of the year!

Based on the excellent dinner I was looking forward to the barbecue lunch but the chicken, sausages and burgers had been cremated - doesn't the chef realise how unhealthy carcinogenic, charred food is - it feeds cancer. I had to make do with a rather poor choice of salad

Also I wasn't too impressed with having to pay £6.50 for a small bottle of Pironi.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank mutley8

Dear Mutley
Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay with us.

It was a real pleasure to have you stay with us and I am sorry if your allocated room by the business that hosted the event did not suit your required facilities.

I can confirm that the tiles you mention are non-slip and we have never had a concern relating to these before but we have added another slip mat to assist our guests which was kind of you to mention and a great idea.

Finally it was great to read you enjoyed your dinner and I can confirm that our beer prices are alot less than you suggest which I was pleased to double check.

Reviewed 22 June 2014

We had the pleasure of having our daughters wedding at Crathorne Hall a couple of weeks ago and we can't express enough what a wonderful day we had. The staff did everything they could for us leading up to the wedding and on the day itself to make this one of the most special occasions in our lives which will always be remembered. The accommodation, surroundings and quality of food and service is first class and we look forward to a revisit this summer for one of their special afternoon teas. Crathorne Hall near Yarm is certainly to be highly recommended, and our grateful thanks are to be extended to Michelle & Ian who made it all happen along with the army of staff who made the day run so smoothly. As a MOB I could'nt have asked for more. Perfect.

Room Tip: We can recommend the Leven, Hambleton & Borrowby Suitesand of course the Crathorne Suite is to d...
1  Thank Brenda S
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Having enjoyed a lovley Mother's Day lunch earlier in the year my Wife decided to book again for Father's Day - what a contrast! The meal itself was fine but the service was haphazard at best - we were sat down for our starters but no wine order had been taken so we were finished by the time it arrived. We asked for butter when the bread arrived and that arrived after our starters. We ordered water but we did not get glasses, the main course arrived with half or the veg which we were assured "were on the way" - only after we had finished - I ordered yorkshire pudding with my lamb but it did not arrive - all a real shame because the food is pleasant and the backdrop lovely.

1  Thank MarkB25
Peter L, General Manager at Crathorne Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2014

Dear Mark B25

Thank you for your very concerning feedback regarding your recent lunch.

I can fully appreciate your point of view and I would like to apologise for any inconvenience on what should have been a lovely lunch experience.

As you will note from the other reviews we normally do exceed the expectations of our guests so I would see this as a one off and we fully take on board your comments.

I know we are alot better than this and would invite you to contact me so that I can offer complimentary dinner for 2 guests with a glass of champagne on arrival as we did not 'hit the mark' during this service to reassure you of our quality and standards.

Please contact me at the hotel and I hope you will allow us the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Peter Llewellyn

Also consider these accommodations in or near Crathorne
Gisborough Hall Hotel
#2 of 4 in Helmsley
The Cleveland Tontine
The Cleveland Tontine
#1 of 1 in Staddlebridge

Been to Crathorne Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!