“Tea time”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Crathorne
Carlton-in-Cleveland
“Tea time”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

Took my 95 year old mother and some friends to Crathorne Hall for afternoon tea. It was wonderful. The staff were attentive the food delicious and the surroundings beautiful but I do have one reservation - what happened to the china crockery - there was none!

Word to the Manager. Surely afternoon tea should be china cups, saucers and plates, not thick white porcelain crockery! It's a shame and did detract from the afternoon tea experience. That being said I would go again and recommend it to others. Wonderful.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Peter L, General Manager at Crathorne Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Dear Sandygeoff45

It was a real pleasure to have you and your 95 year old mother come and enjoy afternoon tea at Crathorne Hall.

Wonderful to hear you had a great time and enjoyed the attentive staff and naughty cakes!! Thanks for mentioning about the china crockery which I am pleased to say are all stocked up and being used so when you return.

Also, for your information we have a lovely afternoon tea with a chocolate twist in all of October coming followed by our November theme before heading in to our very successful Christmas theme.

Look forward to seeing you soon.

Peter

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Camberley
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

What can I say. From the minute we arrived to the minute we departed we were amazed and overwhelmed by the treatment we received. Every one of the staff were excellent. A special thank you goes to William one of the waiters who not only served us a drink whilst waiting for our room but gave us a rundown of the hotel and it's facilities. He spent a good 15 minutes talking to us. He needs a gold star for customer service. Not forgetting the porter. Sorry forgot his name. He came and took our bags and also went through the hotel layout. The rooms were great. Maybe a little on the small side but high standard of cleanliness and all mod cons. Turn down service in the evening also took place. Breakfast was fantastic. Large choice on the menu, something for everyone. Fresh tea and coffee. And hot and cold choices. From cereal fresh fruit and variety of cold meats cheeses breads to a full English.
All in all a four star hotel with 5 star facilities and service. Will definitely be back and will recommend to all our friends. 1 word. ... FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!!. THANK YOU.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tshaddy
Dear Tshaddy

Not sure I can add anything further to such a lovely review and myself and the team along with William are delighted you had a great experience with us at Crathorne Hall.

I can tell you the response from the staff reading your review has been really engaging and have inspired them to continue to exceed our guests expectations every day!

With 37 rooms in the hall to choose from the great news is that next time why not try a different room or room type which I am sure will not only offer a different view but also we do have bigger rooms available to the largest the Crathorne Suite which is huge with its own walk in wardrobe!!

I hope we get to see you in the future and it would be my pleasure to make sure we offer an upgraded room to the best room in the house if you contact me next time.

York, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

Me and my family stayed at the hotel following a wedding reception and the whole experience was fantastic!
The service was wonderful, and the rooms were very luxurious! I haven't experienced anything like it before. I can definitely recommend the Leven room! The views were wonderful and the lengths the staff went to to make sure everyone was comfortable and happy were lovely. My only complaint would be that I couldn't stay there for longer!!

• Stayed August 2014
1 Thank Ellie9292
Dear Ellie9292

Great review and fantastic to hear you had a delightful time with us at Crathorne Hall.

Lovely to hear the wonderful comments and the great news is......we will be here for a very long time so I am sure we will get the pleasure of being able to welcome you back soon. If you do, let me know so we have the opportunity offering a couple of glass of chilled champagne on arrival as you book back into the Leven room again!!

Take care and thank you!

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

Crathorne Hall is the perfect setting for a wedding. My son had his reception there this week and the whole experience was absolutely fantastic from start to finish. We were greeted with a glass of Pimms, shown to a beautiful venue and served a faultless wedding breakfast. Every guest commented on the quality of the food. The staff were delightful and the ambiance was one of grandeur and grace. It was a privilege to be a guest and I can honestly say it was one of the best days of life.

1 Thank Amanda W
Peter L, General Manager at Crathorne Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Dear Amanda

Thank you for your lovely review and I was really pleased to read that the wedding was a great success for you, your family and of course your son and bride!!

My team will be delighted you had the time of your life and I know reviews like yours really puts a spring in everybodies step so thank you!

Crathorne Hall is a great place for your wedding with a wonderful settings and our service we offer certainly hit the mark by the sounds of it! We really do enjoy having weddings at the house because it is such a special day and we want to make sure the memories of this day will be cherished forever.

Hopefully we may see you another time, or even for the 1st Wedding Anniversary for a little get together.

Leeds, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014

When we arrived we couldn't help but be wowed by the building, it looked very posh and felt like the perfect setting miles from any hustle and bustle, which is exactly what we were looking for. However check in was a lengthy process, and the instructions on how to find the room weren't very clear, we even stumbled across another couple looking for theirs. The room was lovely, well set out, a nice sized bathroom, and free wifi. We then went to put our belongings in the safe before we left for a walk and it was locked. I rang straight down to reception to report it and they said they'd send someone up, after waiting for 45 minutes nobody arrived so we left for our walk. When we returned there was a smell of human waste, as we were rushing to get to dinner arrangements we didn't have time to hang about and wait for someone to come up again, and nobody had been to look at the safe in our time out of the room. On returning to the room that night the safe still hadn't been fixed, the smell was even worse, and they hadn't bothered to carry out the turndown service. There were also no slippers in the room, the mattress cover was put on so it didn't cover the whole mattress, and there was a very dusty bottle of shampoo under the wardrobe, definitely felt like no care or attention had been put into any housekeeping.
Service at breakfast didn't get much better. We came down 30 minutes before it finished and there was pretty much nothing left of the cold/dried choices. You then order anything hot through table service, which was a nice touch, but we were waiting quite a while. When it finally arrived my porridge was taken to another table, sent back, syrup was dropped on the floor, and then brought back to me once the waitresses had discussed at the back of the room, leaving us waiting for more syrup for me and my partner's breakfast.
I did write a list of complaints and presented it on check out. I was immediately given the excuse that the housekeeper thought we were in the room so didn't bother with turndown, seemed a bit odd that she would know this off the top of her head... She then asked if I would like a call from the manager which I said yes to. Then she tried to charge me for the room which I had already paid for on booking. The manager did try to call me four days later while I was at work and left me a voicemail to say he would try again, but he never bothered. Such a shame that such a lovely hotel is run in such a way, would have expected the finest level of detail and attention from the hotel staff.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view, otherwise you'll be looking at the bins like we were!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Rachael G
Peter L, General Manager at Crathorne Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
Thank you for your review and I am very concerned to hear your experience did not meet your expectations which at this stage I would like to formally apologise to you both.

Your comments have been talked through with the team and we fully appreciate the opportunity to see how our normal high levels of service have not been met when you stayed with us.

We are all fully committed to making sure our guests have the best of experiences and through your comments we will be reviewing how we effective look after our guests. I would like to invite you both back to Crathorne so we have the opportunity to restore your faith if you could contact me to discuss.

Yarm, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

We visited Crathorne hall with a view to booking an evening meal and overnight stay after our wedding at a different venue for next summer. Our numbers are small. We were shown the restaurant and rooms which were lovely. We left our contact details with reception to discuss our requirements and made a provisional booking to stay overnight at the hotel for next year. That was a week ago and still waiting for the hotel to phone us to confirm arrangements. I was assured the "manager" would ring last Tuesday. I wait in anticipation ! We have since made arrangements with a hotel in Darlington who were more than accommodating. Very disappointed

1 Thank SusanAWill
Peter L, General Manager at Crathorne Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Dear Mr Sims,

Thank you for your review and for speaking with me.

I am sorry that we did not get back to you as quickly as possible and I would like to reassure you that this is very abnormal for us as we appreciate the importance of all the opportunities from our guests.

It is sad that I did not get a chance to speak to you before you did this review as we are always striving to delivery our guests expectations every day. But on occasions 'human error' plays a part as in all businesses, and our procedures have been reviewed to make sure future situations like this do not occur.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2014

I took my 87 year old mother to visit relatives and stayed at this wonderful hotel. My mother has limited mobility and the staff could not do enough to help us. Fresh milk in the room on arrival? no problem. Self service at the breakfast bar? Let me carry that plate to your table for you madam. A room that is spotlessly clean and comfortable, every member of staff giving excellent service and all this complemented by excellent food. YES we will be going back!

1 Thank Dennis S
Dear Dennis

Thank you for your lovely review which was a pleasure to read and all the team are delighted by your words.

It is always wonderful to see your mother and wife stay with us as we continue to strive to exceed the expectations of our guests by making them feel special to create life long fans.

Please do not hesitate in contacting me if I can be of any further assistance and we look forward to seeing them soon and I hope you too!

Peter
Also consider these accommodations in or near Crathorne
Judges Country House Hotel
Swinton Park
Swinton Park
#2 of 5 in Ripon
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,210 reviews

Been to Crathorne Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!