“Horrid !”

The Grapes Inn
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Easington
“Horrid !”
Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

I come from a family of professional cooks and no way is this food cooked fresh as claimed in previous reviews the chips taste like cardboard as if they had been warmed from the day before the meat does no way taste fresh more like tinned you claim it from a local source I really think you should change your supplier if that is the case and home made pastry would be nice not the cheap roll out stuff I came with a young family and had an extremely long wait roughly 1hr between starter and dessert not good with little ones no other customers were there just us so no excuse I also complained twice with only a remark of what's the problem I can assure you its fresh......well I can assure you it certainly is not I will not be recommending this place and I will certainly be avoiding it ....shame really because it could be a lovely place

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank angel0306

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
whitby
Reviewed 20 July 2014

where do i start with this place.from ordering are starter which was spicy prawns was horrible NOT fresh prawns coming from whitby i should no between fresh n frozen.some of the prawns were discoloured.my sister said the starter wasnt very nice to the girl that came to clear the plates.we waited an hour for our main meal chips looked like they had been re heated from two daybefore.the fish batter was dry the fish was watery n tastes less.i ordered the mince pie which was tinned mince,not fresh mince.the mash was very lumpy,the peas were cold.When the lady asked if my meal was nice i replied by saying no my mash was lumpy,the peas were cold when my food arrived n the pie tasted liked it had been cooked three days ago.her reply was it was freshly made this morning n said i can asure you it wasnt.she said she would sort it out.she came back and cleared the rest of the plates and said nothing.I just wish that i had taken samples of the food to get tested.most stuff we wanted to order they didnt have we should of know then not to stay.we were the only ones to order food by about an hour before anyone food shouldnt of taken this long.i could understand if the place was packed.they were more bothered about setting up for the night party.Hope the guest were ok today as some of the food was been put out at 4 0'clock.I didnt want to rate this place at all.We wouldnt go back even if you payed us to eat in there.PLEASE SAVE YOUR MONEY AND AVIOD THIS PLEASE YOU WERE WARNED.Other people had left there meals too and another family walked out just after we left what a GOOD choice they made

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank WhitbyMaggie
Mark M, Manager at The Grapes Inn, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
I am sorry that your visit did not meet either your expectations nor our usual high standards. We serve 200+ meals a week and the vast majority of these are to returning customers so your experience is not typical. The service you received is, however, unacceptable and the member of staff involved has been disciplined appropriately. Your comments about our food are of more concern to me though. We make no claim anywhere that the prawns we serve are fresh Whitby prawns, they are indeed frozen. The discolouration you mention is inevitable with any natural product that is not packed full of preservatives. Our mince is lean beef mince provided fresh by a local butcher, as are all our meat products. Our pies and lasagne are made by the chef to order, so there is no set of circumstances where you would get a product that is three days old. The wait for food here is longer than most, but this is an inevitable result of preparing fresh food to order. Your order joined a pre-existing queue which you should have been informed about, once again, appropriate action has been taken against the staff member involved.
I am sorry that you had a poor experience but this is not typical of the dining experience at The Grapes, I must thank you for bringing this to our attention so we are able to take steps to improve those situations which are not to the high standards we set for ourselves.
Sheffield
Reviewed 6 June 2014

We booked four rooms here with friends as we were going to a nearby wedding. The owner and bar staff were really friendly, the bar was cosy, and the location ideal for us. The rooms were small but very clean, comfortable and had everything we needed. Breakfast the next morning was fab, a full English all round cooked how we wanted with loads of toast and mugs of tea. Nice experience.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank drslapdash
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 May 2014

We stayed at The Grapes for 2 nights B&B, at Spring Bank, There was myself,hasband and two children 12 & 9 years. The Play area was a big hit with the kids, The Family room we stayed in was clean, lovely bright white bedding, the room was imaculate, tea & coffee on tap. The Breakfast was a full English, every thing that you requested, cooked by Mark the owner. "lovely"

Mark & Lynn have had the The Grapes for about 12 months there are areas that need improvments inside and out, but they look to be working in the right direction, we have booked to stay again in September and can't wait to see what has been changed "improved".

Looking forward to going back.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Emma H
Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We went for a weekend away at Whitby and stopped off here on the way home as it had good veggie options, it is just off the A171 and easy to find. The food was lovely and very good portions, all home made meals. The place could do with a slight refurb. Staff were pleasant and provided good service.
Recommend!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Briana R
Guisborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 May 2014 via mobile

Well where do I start our glasses looked dirty and where really badly scratched . The table our arms where sticking to them and the place matts well I've thrown better away , our food came I ordered steak burger and chips well the chips were just awful full of grease and the burger it wasnt a steak one it was like a cheap frozen thing so I paid £9.00 for a bit of salad really my hubby got chicken curry that also got left . The place looks like it wants a good clean

Stayed May 2014
Mark M, Owner at The Grapes Inn, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
I am sorry that you didn't enjoy your visit.

We have a policy that customers are asked both shortly after their food is delivered to the table and at the end of the meal, whether everything was ok. I am assured by the shift supervisor that this was the case during your visit. We offered you two chances to inform us that all was not well with your meal yet chose to deny us two separate opportunities to make amends. Our steak burgers are made for us by a local butcher and are fresh, our chips are hand cut and cooked in fresh oil. We sell hundreds of portions of chips and have never been told they are greasy. The curry is prepared fresh to order by our chef.

Your comments about the tables have been noted and we have changed our cleaning methods to deal with it, also we have replaced the table mats. Your comments about the pub needing cleaning are unfair, The building is clean but in need of refurbishment as it had had been neglected for some time prior to us taking over.We are in the process of refurbishing, and as you can imagine with a building this size it is an arduous and ongoing project which we are doing as quickly as time and money allow.
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 April 2014

Whilst planning my holiday to North Yorkshire I looked into where me and my boyfriend (a vegan and vegetarian) could eat out whilst away. Unfortunately there is quite a dearth of places offering vegan food anywhere near (less than an hour's drive) the village we usually visit. Not even Whitby, a relatively large town, offers a vegetarian restaurant so it seems (although I'd love to be told otherwise?). So I came across the Grapes Inn in my research prior to our journey and we decided to give it a go.

Positives included great service, with a very attentive server, who offered us more information on their forthcoming vegan buffet nights, as well as very large portion sizes and so good value for money. I appreciate many of the comments about the decor of the pub as it is very dark (dark red painted walls and dark wood) and would benefit from a general freshening up, however there was a lovely roaring fire next to where we sat and, as aforementioned, the service could not have been better.

The food was good, pub food. My partner had the lasagna, which came with an ample amount of garlic bread and I had a vegetable curry with rice AND chips. I felt my curry was more like a spiced vegetable stew due to the vegetables and spices used but it was pleasant enough and I enjoyed it. I wouldn't say it was the best food we'd ever eaten but not much pub food would be described in such a way, and for the price and options we had to choose from I was very impressed. Also, the portions could actually have been a bit smaller and we would have still been satisfied but I suppose that comes down to personal preference.

We now plan on returning in the summer for their vegetarian BBQ options and would urge other vegetarians that visit the area to support the pub's efforts to cater for people with different dietary needs.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Beebyontour
Also consider these accommodations in or near Easington
The Endeavour Restaurant with Rooms
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,961 reviews
Cleveland Corner
Cleveland Corner
#4 of 6 in Staithes

Been to The Grapes Inn? Share your experiences!