“Decent Family Break - Would love to be able to afford to stay longer!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Filey
Primrose Valley Holiday Park - Haven
Ranked #3 of 16 Speciality Lodging in Filey
Reviewed 25 April 2014

We have just returned from Primrose Valley after a short Mon-Fri break. Its only an hour away from our home town and we travelled with a 5yr old and a 1yr old. We were lucky enough to get a Sun Holiday deal so we thought we would add on an upgrade to luxury plus/deluxe caravan. Very happy with check in - we got in the queue a good half hour before we were supposed to check in as we just wanted to know the caravan number we had been given in case the lakeside reception needed it for booking our 5yr old daughter on any activities - but we were told the caravan was ready! Bonus! Excellent caravan, 2013 model, enough space, clean and well kept. Our daughter did different activities each day; aqua gliders, mini pool party, turbo paddlers, fossil hunt on the beach and water walkers - we hadn't purchased a sports pass but didn't find the prices for them that bad however it is a shame that things such as the funfair costs so much - there should really be a few more freebies as families pay enough to stay on the park especially at peak times, however the fossil hunt was free and well worth doing, (water walkers cost £6 and they got about 6mins if that!!! - we understood that the kids get warm and tired in them very easily but £6 was a tad over-expensive for the time!).
Entertainment was as expected - we have been to loads of Haven sites, and visited Primrose Valley many times before - but Jesters club really needs to sort their sound out - I can imagine its a hard room to get the balance of things right but the bass was just too overpowering at times - we watched the 80s chick show and couldn't hear the guy singing at all at times cos the music drowned him out. We never went in the showbar as Jesters has everything for the kids. The drinks at the bar both soft and alcoholic are way way WAY overpriced - I do not believe for one second that the prices are competitive with other places - last time we came to Primrose it was about £10 for a bottle of wine - this time it was £12.49!!! And my husband paid £1.80 for a pint of blackcurrent and tap water!! Just ridiculous and quite disappointing - lots of people got drinks taken off them that they had brought themselves - one simple way to stop this is to bring the prices down perhaps.....
And another thing that the park definitely needs, just for peak times or days where the weather is rubbish - an extra indoor pool! Lots of families, including ourselves know bad weather is a good opportunity to use the pools so they got full pretty fast! The queue for the activity pool was into the amusement arcade!! We managed to squeeze into the lakeside pool however it was that cold our 1yr old soon got blue!! A small extra indoor pool would probably be a great advantage for the park.
Apart from that we had a great time and, if we were rich, would have quite happily stayed another few das even though the weather was miserable - kids were more then happy and that makes us parents happy :) Please give us a caravan so we can stay more!!!!! Wishful thinking! lol x

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Sue W
Primrose V, Guest Relations Manager at Primrose Valley Holiday Park - Haven, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2014

Hello Sue W,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to leave your review. I am so pleased that your found the check in experience a pleasant start to your stay with us. It was a brilliant to hear that your daughter enjoyed the fantastic activities that our sports and leisure team offer. It certainly sounds like a fun packed holiday. I will of course pass your feedback to the Entertainments Manager with regards to the sound in Jesters. We strive to be competitive within the industry when it comes to the pricing in our entertainment venues and eateries, it is a shame that it wasn’t as cheap as you had expected. I agree, happy children makes for happy parents and I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to Primrose Valley in the future.

Communication Manager

There are newer reviews for Primrose Valley Holiday Park - Haven

Reviewed 23 April 2014

You know the drill, caravan first time out this year, all weekend to get ready, hire a 9 seater van for the week. Myself, wife and 4 kids in tow, Holiday booked and paid for back in January, always good to plan ahead.**
Sister in law and partner with their two year old and caravan also booked at same time.

Arrive at Primrose Valley Filey, just after lunch time. Really nice chap met us at the touring pitches.
Told us he has no record of either caravans booked. Rang reception, same for them. With the added "your bookings were cancelled" as the outstanding balance was not paid.
Well this is untrue, My wife had paid the balance and rang the payment line to do this.**
We were then given two Head office numbers to ring both numbers were closed out of office hours.

I went to reception to see what could be salvaged, (which turn out to be a big zero.)
Got the same answer. And that they had nowhere to put us.
I said the Head office phone numbers given are closed, the woman said, thats not my fault.
I then asked to see the General manager, The woman said no GM in today.
So you can imagine, I was not impressed, I ended been ushered into a small room by a " I shouldn't be at work today" under manager. He said his staff should not be spoken to like that?
I will admit, I did raise my voice, what do they expect? I did NOT swear or threaten anyone. I had to raise my voice as the inept staff at reception were clearly deaf as they didn't seem to be listening or doing anything to help my family when it is Haven's mistake and incompetence that put us in a hopeless position we were in. I asked him what has upset you and your staff, The manager could not answer. I asked him to come and tell my children that their holiday was over before it started, he declined.
I know Haven train there staff to deal with customer complaints, but on Sunday 13th April 2014, they really didn't care about this particular customer complaint, It was more or less " Booking cancelled, good bye", Which is just great when you have a van full of kids and telling them we have to go home, because Primrose valley won't let us stay on there site.

** In January 2014 my wife had rang Haven/bourne leisure to book and pay in full, for the holiday In April, We then received a letter asking for outstanding balance.
My wife rang haven again, ( we have proof of this call) and was told nothing outstanding, you have paid the full amount.

At that point we believed our holiday have been booked and paid for. this was not the case at all.
Basically we had not paid the balance, and we have lost both our deposits. And prepared for a holiday that was never there.

Since then, we have check our bank balance, and Haven/Bourne had taken the two deposits, not the full balance.

My wife wrote a letter of complaint to Bourne leisure and in their reply it states that basically Bourne would have not made that mistake, and that's that!

Surely if Haven/Bourne had cancelled our holiday, they would have confirmed this in letter or email.
Not just done it and not notified us.
If they had done this simple function, we could have avoided all the aggravation Bourne leisure's mistake had caused.

We will never ever use Haven/Bourne leisure holidays/products again.
We are part of a large network, and I will be posting a very similar reviews and recommendations.

Well done the Haven holiday payments department for your incompetence
Well done Primrose Valley for not helping out this particular customer.
Thank you for robbing me and my family of monies and a hard earned break.

Any other review I have written for Trip advisor were I have slated the service provider.
I must say, no-one has been as bad as Bourne leisure.

My advise to any would be customers of Bourne leisure, check for confirmation, then check again before you pack.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
10  Thank DiyDaveJ31
Primrose V, Manager at Primrose Valley Holiday Park - Haven, responded to this reviewResponded 15 December 2014

Thank you for your review and apologies for the late reply.

Naturally we aim to serve every guest in an excellent manner and it is a shame to read your comments.

We do attain a great array of positive comments and lovely feedback from the majority of our visiting guests and can only thank you for your review.

Should you reconsider visiting Primrose Valley once again please contact the Park direct on 01723 513771 whereby we would be happy to double check any details for that extra re-assurance.

Kind Regards,

The Primrose Valley Team.

Reviewed 22 April 2014

My wee cousins 12, 7 years old wanted to meet my partners grandkids 12, 7, 5 years old. Trouble is long distance between Edinburgh and Borehamwood. Planned a halfway point and found Primrose Valley. 3 Superiors booked over a weekend. Result? Great weekend. Accommodation excellent and clean. Staff efficient and friendly. Activities extensive, our lot involved in Archery, Hamster Balls, Swimming, Karting, Bush Training. Food availability great. Weather could have been better but no one to blame here. I would recommend this to others. The only down point? I live with wifi so miss it when it's not openly available. Used the 15 free minutes but that was only in the bar areas. No real complaint, just wifi. Thanks again.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Primrose V, Guest Relations Manager at Primrose Valley Holiday Park - Haven, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2014

Hello dpleith,

It is a pleasure to read that your family gathering was such a success and I hope you made some magical family memories to treasure whilst with us here at Primrose Valley. The accommodation we provide on park is ideal for families of all ages and we always try to locate people spending a break together in caravans close by.

Archery, Water Walkers, Swimming, Karting and Bush Training ? It certainly sounds like a fun packed holiday. It is terrific to hear from families that have really made the most of the outstanding facilities we offer.

I am pleased that you enjoyed the 15 minutes free Wifi each day – were you aware that additional packages are available?

Once again I would like to thank you for your 5* review. I do hope that both families will be meeting up again in the near future to create more memorable family times.

Communication Manager

Reviewed 22 April 2014

good standards but very dear food and drinks. shop reasonable prices. stay ruined by dog owners who let animals bark constantly. at 1 30 am women at rear of us coaxing dog to mess in nearby bushes.. wont go back.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Hello flutterby1111,

I would firstly like to thank you for taking the time to leave feedback about your stay with us.

As a 5* park we pride ourselves on providing top class standards. It was a shame to hear that you found the food and drinks in the eateries more than you had anticipated. We do always make sure that we are competitive within the local area and also with other holiday parks. I was pleased to see however that you found the Spar show to be reasonable, it is always well stocked with the essentials and much more.
We do have park security who take noise disturbance matters seriously. Had we been given the opportunity whilst you were staying with us I am sure that we would have put measures in place to prevent this matter disturbing your holiday.

Thank you again for taking the time to leave your feedback. I do hope that you will give us the opportunity to restore your faith in Primrose Valley, Haven. Please feel free to give me a call on 01723 513771 and I will be more than happy to discuss the issues and personally deal with any future bookings you may wish to make.

Reviewed 21 April 2014

Stayed for a week in a platinum caravan which was very poor compared to previous caravans of same standard we have stayed in complained but was told there was nowhere to move to so we put up with it. Would think again about paying for platinum.
Other than the caravan issues we had a great time, parks were good, funfair is average, crazy golf is fun.
Arcade has a good range of games. Swimming pools are ok but small for the size of park.
Our son loved all the character activities and the funstars particularly Debs who we had met previously she went out of her way to make our son feel special.
Food in Mash and Barrel was good and the staff were really friendly and helpful I just found it was very noisy when hoping for a relaxing meal.
We will return.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Tracy4john

Hello Tracy4john,

Thank you for the 4* review about your holiday here at Primrose Valley.

It was lovely to read that you enjoyed the Parks, Funfair and Crazy Golf. The Arcade is always a hit with families of all ages, especially those with a competitive side. As a team we love the opportunity for a game of Air Hockey.

The FunStars have been brilliant in providing a brilliant selection of activities, games and entertainment for the youngsters. I will of course pass a special mention for Debs to her Manager.

The Mash and Barrel offer an excellent range of food and beverages and the staff always provide unbeatable service.

We really look forward to welcoming you back to Primrose Valley. If you would like to add any comments with regards to preferred location then please call us on 01723 513771 and I will personally deal with the allocation of your caravan.

Kind regards

Communication Manger

Reviewed 21 April 2014

This is our 3rd time at the park and have previously enjoyed it, however this time is such a disappointment!
I requested a caravan close to the entertainment complex as my dad has many health issues and cannot walk far but we were given a caravan a good way out.
It takes my dad almost half an hour to walk down there.
As soon as we got to the caravan i reported a leak under the van and was told someone would attend to it that day. As we never spend much time in the caravan we presumed it had been completed as no one had contacted us to state other wise.
On our third night none of the heating was working so called the out of hours.A security guard turned up messed with a radiator and went. Went to bed, 5 mins later heard a hissing sound and the radiator was teaming out with water. The guard came out again to be told we needed a plumber. At this stage we had soaked two of our bath towels, hot water out of it had gone all over a pair of my sons shoes on the floor and all over my partners jeans!
We were told if a plumber wasnt availible we would have to move caravan. This was at 11pm and have a 2 year old and a dad in bed!
A plumber did come and fixed the leak! But was told that the pressure valve had gone and if the pressure dropped we would have to keep it topped up to keep the heating on.
During the night i had to do this every few hours to ensure the heating stayed on.
The next morning we went up to reception to make sure that the job would be completed today. We complained and was told that even though the water had damaged 2 of our towels we would be given some of theres to use. The customer service is terrible as they dont seem bothered that i had been up all night and had damaged clothes,shoes and towels.
As we were off out for the day we decided just to forget about it and carry on...
On the friday we went to go into the entertainment complex to be told that we couldnt as our passes had run out. We had been given 5 day instead of 7 day passes and we would have to go and get them changed, which we did this morning and there wasnt an apology in sight.
The swimming pools smelt intensely of chlorine and if you arent out early enough you cant get a seat in the entertainment rooms.
Still the bathroom light hasnt been fixed.
The guy serving the hot dogs of an evening was using his bare hands to open the bread and pick up the hotdogs and in the next instance was in the toilets cleaning.
It is our last day here today and have been hugely disappointed by the experience.

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank tincx

Hello tincx,
I would like to thank you for leaving the feedback regarding your most recent stay with us here at Primrose Valley.
It was of course a disappointment to read about the issues you had whilst on your holiday. I would really like to opportunity to speak with you regarding your time here with us at Primrose Valley. If you could call me on 01723 513771 at your convenience I would personally like to discuss the problems you had.
Once again, I would like to thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback. I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed 21 April 2014

We stayed mon14th April and left Good Friday. My 1st impression of the site wasn't good reception was chaotic not enough parking space. Ended up parking elsewhere We arrived earlier than check in so was told to come back later. That didn't go down well with us as we'd been traveling for 4 hours with a 13 month old and 5 year old however we was given the passes to the
main buildings.When we did manage to check in the queing didn't take long. We'd booked and paid (online) for a 2 bedroom standard static but were given keys for a 3
bedroom static they didn't know why but there was no hint that they wanted us to pay any extra so that was a huge thumbs up :) we got to our caravan (number 9) was impressed at the location as really close to the main buildings. It was very clean and tidy the duvet's and pillows already there looked very clean even as tho they were brand new! We'd payed for the sheets, pillowcases and duvet covers in advance (£20 I think) a lovely lcaravan lots of storage in the bedrooms for clothes but kitchen storage was very minimal :( TV was a small portable one but plenty of channels to watch. The only downer with it was it was bloody freezing at night so was glad of the extra room cos we had extra duvets to keep warm. There was just a small gas fire in the living room but wasn't going to leave it on all night so we just braved it. We went to the clubhouse around 7pm on our 1st night which was packed out but we managed to find a table. And our 5 year old went off happily to play. Wasn't happy with the costs of drinks £3.50 for a pint of Carling lager!! We didn't eat in the restaurant either cos not prepared to spend nearly £10 for a burger and chips!!
The entertaint singer/dance troup are diabolical! The singing was awful routines rubbish and they weren't dancing 'as one' more doing their own thing, they just killed the songs they were trying to do,, dirty dancing footloose and other 80's stuff. It
was basically just noise!
The site was really good tho nice and clean and no noise at
night. But for some reason there is no signal at all for mobiles for calls and texts???
On the whole though we enjoyed our stay staff were lovely, friendly and helpful. So we decided to book again for next year as if you book it while still there (up to a week after you leave) you get a massive discount so were going next April but booked for a Delux plus (heating in bedrooms ;-)) for 7 nights the cost was originally £739 (Easter half term) but as we've booked early we got a huge discount so only paying £496.69. I've already recommended this park to people

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank Louise1974-02

Hello Louise1974-02,

I would firstly like to thank you for the comments and 4* review about your recent holiday with us.

It is great to read that you have already booked to stay with us again next Easter – we do have some excellent offers available for guests that can’t wait to come back.

The team here adore providing exceptional customer service and it is always a pleasure to tell the management team that our guests are appreciating all the hard work they put in.

With being right on the coast, mobile phone signal can sometimes be slightly weak, depending on your network provider. However, if you should need to make any essential calls on your next stay with us, please pop to reception and a member of team will be more than happy to advise you as to how to use our phone line.

I am pleased to hear that your holiday home exceeded your expectations. The team that deal with allocations always to their very best to make sure that all our guests get the best value for money and in an area of park that suits all the family.

If you would like to give us a call on 01723 513771 we will be more than happy to put comments on your booking so that we can try to allocate you a similar location for your next stay with us.

It was a shame to read that the entertainment was not to the standard which you would have expected at Haven. These comments have been taken on board.

Thank you once again for taking the time to leave your feedback regarding your stay with us. Roll on next Easter !

Communications Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Filey
Ambassador Hotel
Resolution Hotel
Resolution Hotel
#7 of 20 in Whitby
Crows Nest Caravan Park

Been to Primrose Valley Holiday Park - Haven? Share your experiences!