“Does the job...”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Filey
Blue Dolphin Holiday Park - Haven
Ranked #5 of 16 Speciality Lodging in Filey
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Spent a Mon-Fri here at the start of July. Myself (40), Mum (63), 4 teenagers ranging from 18 to 13 and a 3 year old.

So let's start with the bad...they could do with having a word with the cleaners or certainly the ones who did our van. Cobwebs, toothpaste stained mirrors and dirty marks on walls are not the best first impression...especially when a quick wipe down sorted it all which I did myself. The park is a bit tired in places, if you're put on the outskirts of the park expect a trek to the complex, the pool area is far too small for the size of park it is and please remember to take out a mortgage to pay for drinks...£12.40 for two bottles of Cider (3 for a fiver in Spar!!) £11.20 for 2 cokes, a slush and a half lager. Of course it's all designed to make you have your hand in your pocket as often as possible...flashing things, pictures with things, slush, machines, tickets...you name it and it's over-priced...but hell if you're not expecting to have to fork out for over-priced nonsense you've clearly not been to a British caravan park before!

So the positives...and despite what you think there are plenty! The staff we met were all friendly and polite. The entertainment staff do a great job and at night and the little ones will be fully entertained for a few hours and there's all the usual old school family fun. Us adults might not enjoy the whole sardine packed pool thing but the kids don't seem to care. The shop is well stocked and reasonably priced and there's nice stroll along the cliffs.

The area itself is great...loads to see and do...Scarborough is 5 minutes away and a nice day out. Great beach, donkey rides and the fairground. Filey is lovely, Bridlington is worth a wander. You're not far from York and all that is has to offer and a visit to Flamingoland Resort is a must (about 40 mins away)...well worth the money compared to the big theme parks and just as much to do (book online in advance and you'll save about £6 each)

We paid £178 for a standard plus 3 bed. 7 of us went. That's £25 a head for 5 days away from the grind and a change of scene. You can't moan at that!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Blue Dolphin H, Front Office Manager at Blue Dolphin Holiday Park - Haven, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

We aim to provide facilities to ensure you have a great family holiday and it seems you certainly enjoyed our family fun evening entertainment.

Our team are here to make sure you have a great time and help you where ever possible, if made aware whilst you here on park we would have been happy to address your cleaning concerns with the team responsible for your holiday home. We welcome all feedback and will defiantly take on board your comments regarding the cost of drinks and review for our 2015 season.

The local area is beautiful and I am delighted you had the opportunity to explore whilst you were here

Hope to welcome you back for more adventure soon.

There are newer reviews for Blue Dolphin Holiday Park - Haven

Reviewed 20 July 2014

We arrived at the campsite at the same time as the POLICE VAN which gives you some idea of what Blue Dolphin is like. I have camped in a lot of places, but never anywhere which is patrolled by police!

I had read a lot of reviews before we went (for 2 nights camping) and knew that it was a cheap and cheerful park, but decided to give it a try as the swimming pool and children's evening entertainments seemed like they would be great for our two boys (3 & 6), and it is well located for days out to Filey and Scarborough.

We were camping in the overflow field which is the most basic camping available and that was actually fine- it is a grassy area pretty close to the toilet & shower block. However, you just pitch your tent where you want in this section, and when we drove round there were definitely some spots you would not want to camp, due to the large groups of people camped there with rubbish thrown all around them on the ground and playing loud music. Luckily there was another spot available which was great and we were next to friendly families and found it was quiet and a nice place for the kids to play football.The shower/toilet blocks were also fine, and were well maintained by friendly staff.

The swimming pool was horrendous. There were queues to get in when it opened at 9.30, and it was basically filled up to the point that you could not move in the water without crashing into someone. It was so full I thought it was dangerous, as you could easily lose sight of your children and it would be too easy for a child to be missed if they did get into trouble. The slides were good but had big queues too. The worst part of the swimming pool though was the toilets. There was one male and one female toilet for the hundreds of people who were in the pool. There was no soap in there and it was just grim. With no soap I guess all the germs just ended up in the pool, which is nice.

We tried the entertainment complex on Saturday night. It was again completely rammed in the bar and also BOILING. My 6 year old did love the kids' pantomime but other than that we thought the bar was awful. It was very expensive for drinks and there were lots of extras like face painting (£4 I think) to drain your money away. There is a shop in the bar selling glow-up toys for kids (£8 for a light-up plastic sword anyone?), with massive queues again. I tried to buy 2 glow sticks for my kids but after queuing for 40 MINUTES we gave up and headed back to the tent.

To sum up, the campsite bit is fine, but you do take your chances with who you'll end up camping next to, as there didn't seem to be any rules being enforced so those people who wanted to be pretty anti-social were able to do so. However, the entertainment complex (swimming pool, bar, evening entertainments) is AWFUL. Blue Dolphin's main idea seems to be to encourage you to spend lots of money buying your kids slushies, hotdogs, sweets and glow up toys at every opportunity, squash everyone into a swimming pool which is presumably germ filled due to the absence of any soap in the toilet and then cook you in the bar so you spend more money on drinks. There also seem to be a lot of people there who seemed pretty scary and I got the general impression that a fight could break out at any moment in the bar. Which probably explains why the police patrol the place.

2  Thank Catt79
Blue Dolphin H, Front Office Manager at Blue Dolphin Holiday Park - Haven, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

We work very closely with the local police force to provide a safe and secure environment not only on park but within the local community, we have a local team that pop on to park once or twice a week to say hello and catch up.

I am really sorry you felt others were pitching where they liked in the overflow field, we do ask all guests at the point of check in to pitch around the outside of the field to leave an area for the children to play in, in the middle but not everyone takes note of this, I hope this didn’t cause to much of an inconvenience and you could still enjoy your time with us.

Our swimming pool is always very popular especially amongst young children, our guest safety is paramount to us and we have no more than 120 guests in the pool at any one time with one male toilet, one female toilet, and one family/accessible toilet to accommodate the maximum number of guests allowed in. I have passed your feedback regarding the toilets to our Sports & Leisure Manager – I hope despite it being busy your little ones still had an enjoyable time.

The main Entertainment Complex offers a range of extras such as slushies, hotdogs, face painting and flashing toys, I was surprised you felt this to be expensive after confirming with our Complex Manager the best value item starts from £1.99, we will certainly take this onboard to review for the 2015 season.
We welcome families and treat all guests equally and encourage all feedback whilst on park with a dedicated 24 hour assistance team to provide a safe and secure environment if at any point a guest is concerned a 24 hour number is provided to all guests for peace of mind whilst checking in.
Hope to welcome you back to Haven in the future.

Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed on the touring site in a tent.
Most of the camp site was on a slope with only a few flat level pitches.
We ate out in the on site restaurant and I was pleasantly surprised at the food we had. The fish, chips and peas were some of the best I had and worth what we paid.
Prices were a little pricey but worth it.
Bad bit about our stay on the day we left touring site reception advertised wrong opening hours and had to wait to gain access to the freezer when all we wanted to do was get on the road home.
Toilet block (male) were clean and tidy but could do with some repairs to the ceiling and lights.
All in all a nice stay will consider returning.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Alan G
Blue Dolphin H, Front Office Manager at Blue Dolphin Holiday Park - Haven, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

We am thrilled you had a nice time with us here at The Blue Dolphin Holiday Park.

I must say the Fish, chips and peas are my favourite to! I am glad you enjoyed them!

Our touring opening hours have been review and we have amended the sign we have in the reception window – I am really sorry for any inconvenience caused. I hope once on the road home you had a safe journey back.

Hope to see you all again soon

Reviewed 18 July 2014

We were on the touring site and our daughter and grandson were in a static with other family members that met up with us . The touring site facilities were very clean despite the large
numbers on the site. The facilities of the whole park were very good with plenty going on for everyone. On site supermarket was well stocked and not badly priced and there was a good choice of restaurants and take always on site which again were reasonably priced.

My only reason for not giving five stars was because I didn't like having to walk through the arcade to the entertainment and there was a little to much over merchandising in the bars with balloons and things for sale. I appreciate this point is purely a personal thing and it wouldn't stop me visiting again.

All the staff from reception when you arrive to the entertainers and life guards were very professional.

3  Thank Markofltc

Thank you for your review.

I am thrilled you and your family had an excellent time here with us at The Blue Dolphin Holiday Park.

We aim to provide something for everyone within our facilities and it certainly sounds like you made use of them all.

Our team will be delighted to read your lovely comments.

Look forward to seeing you all again soon.

Reviewed 16 July 2014

We have had a lovely holiday with our children and grandchildren. We were camping. Our daughters were sharing a touring caravan with the grandchildren The toilets and showers were always clean considering the amount of people using them the same applys to the pot washing area. we had a good time . The only problem we have had and our youngest daughter is still having as she is booked to stay for the week. There is a very irresponsible dog owner on the pitch 0pposite them who has 2 dogs who he lets bark constantly all night keeping the baby and small children awake. These dogs are also fouling on the site and he is not cleaning up after them which is disgusting where children are playing is this man aware dog feices can cause blindness in children. the receptionist was not interested in the complaint made by our son in law.

4  Thank Karen D

I am delighted you and your family had a lovely holiday with us here at The Blue Dolphin Holiday Park.

I am ever so sorry for any disturbance caused to you whilst here by other guests, we ask all guest bringing family pets to ensure any deposits are collected and disposed of in the bins provided I am really sorry that this has been ignored – we have a 24 hour helpline provided at the time of check that can be called anonymously if any nuisance is being caused to you,

I am so sorry you felt the reception team member didn’t take your feedback on board.

If you could kindly contact me on bluedolphintripadvisor@haven.com with your name and holiday reference I will be more than happy to look into this for you.

Reception team Leader

Reviewed 15 July 2014

We had a great stay at the Blue Dolphin. We were camping in our own tent and found the facilites good both on the campsite and throughout the park. The staff throughout the campsite were extremely friendly and helpful, in fact probably the nicest I have come across in a long time - they seem to really care about their work and the park. The only negative we have is that the campsite is undulating and we ended up pitched on quite a significant slope which is not the best. There was also quite a lot of loud music from some tents, which was not policed. But in fairness it never went on beyond about 11pm.

Room Tip: If you are touring, try and call to book instead of doing it on-line. It may be possible to get a fl...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Lynniel0u

I am delighted you had a great stay with us here at Blue Dolphin Holiday Park.

We aim to provide facilities to suit all and I am thrilled you took the opportunity to enjoy them all with your family.

Part of our touring area is on a slope however if our team are advised of any requests we are more than happy to try our best to work around this for you.

Looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future

Reviewed 15 July 2014

Overall we were very impressed with Blue Dolphin. The girl that checked us in was very cheerful and while it did seem a little like she was reading from a script she was also very good at answering additional questions which brought out a bit of natural charisma.

The tent field is a little small and individually laid out plots (like Thornwick & Sea Farm, Flamborough Head) would be better. It is also quite exposed to the elements so camp when the weather is nice, not an easy task in the UK I know.

The spar on site is open long hours and reasonably priced. The staff in there are also very good. We had a popped airbed on the first night and while they had none on the shelves he did check the back room and when he found out there were none in there he did give very suggestions as to where we could get one from :)

The only down side? The distance from the tent field to the toilets. This was especially inconvenient when needing the toilet during the middle of the night.

As we only stayed two nights, and the weather was a bit shocking we didn't visit the beach which is a bit of a walk but with Reighton Sands just up the road , which is a lovely beach, that wouldn't have mattered.

Highly recommended!!!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank ArchDudeOfYork

I was pleased to read you and your family had an excellent time here at Blue Dolphin Holiday Park.

Our team will be delighted to hear of your lovely feedback, they always do their utmost to ensure our guests have a most memorable holiday.

We have had some rain and wind recently but the sunshine has finally made an appearance so hopefully we can see you joining us again soon.

Reception Team Leader

Also consider these accommodations in or near Filey
Marine Residence
White Lodge Hotel
#2 of 3 in Filey
Crows Nest Caravan Park
Skipsea Sands Holiday Park - Park Resorts

Been to Blue Dolphin Holiday Park - Haven? Share your experiences!