Downcliffe House Hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Filey
See available hotels
  • Breakfast included
Ambassador Hotel(Scarborough)
Weston Hotel(Scarborough)
  • Bar/Lounge
Red Lea Hotel(Scarborough)
Rivelyn Hotel(Scarborough)
  • Restaurant
The Crown Spa Hotel(Scarborough)
  • Pool
The Esplanade Hotel(Scarborough)
Marine Residence(Scarborough)
View Hotel
All reviewsginger pigmolton brown toiletriesboutique hotelbeautiful hotelsea frontsound of the wavessuperior roomwatching the worldvisited this hotelfiley baysea viewone night staysunday lunchlovely roomvisit fileylittle touchesperfect hosts
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 2 September 2013

We're getting married here on the 14th September and I have noticed some unpleasant reviews so thought I'd put my thoughts across. I have eaten here several times and it's one of the reasons we're getting married here.. The food is exquisite. Once we had chosen this hotel as our wedding venue, we have had nothing but exceptional service, from not only the proprietor but all staff. We have visited with family and on one occasion was given a key to all rooms (our wedding party are staying here and we have exclusive use of the hotel). Of course I wanted to see the rooms and it was no problem at all. All rooms are individually decorated and beautiful, with a wonderful attention to detail. Lizzi, the proprietor has taken time out of her own business to take me and my daughter for lunch in Scarborough, where we live to discuss the finer detail of the day. I cannot think of another hotel owner that would have done this? The day is not "packaged" and tailor made to meet all our needs from food and drinks to budget to decor and entertainment, and we've taken some great ideas from Lizzi and Darren. They have made our family and friends feel welcome when booking and/or eating there prior to "our day". Basically if we have asked for something specifically, they have delivered and we have absolutely no worries about our day at all. We cannot wait and we're so happy that they will be part of it!

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank BasilPoppy
Reviewed 2 September 2013

Once again we were priviledged to visit the Downcliffe House Hotel for a weekend stay. The sea views, bedrooms and food were of the highest class as always.
What differientiates the Hotel beyond all others that we have visited both in the UK and Globally are the staff.
They are always friendly, helpful and knowledgable about what the hotel has to offer, and offer an exceptional experience no matter the age. They treat my chiildren of 9 and 11 with the same level of respect and willingness as they do my husband & I.

They really encompass the John Lewis brand , it is as much their busines as the owners.

Speaking of the owners . Darren and Lizzie really personalise the experience , welcoming us in their own home and giving the us the best party ever. I am at a loss as to how anyone could ever call into question their desire to give everyone the best expereince possible!

I would have no hestatation in recomnmending this hotel to anyone and particualarly for those very special occasions.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Karen B
Reviewed 1 September 2013

We booked for two nights for a special occasion. We regretted doing so from the moment we arrived. Our stay was highly disappointing, mainly due to the rude, unhelpful proprietor.

Upon arrival we were informed very rudely that despite booking for two consecutive nights, we had to check out of our room the first morning at 10.30am to be moved rooms. We were then told that we were not able to check into the new room until 2.30pm. When we questioned the proprietor about the unreasonableness of this (not least because we were being offered no alternative place to go during the change over) we were informed that other bookings had been made and that we could not stay in the room we were in because of the view we had. We had booked a superior room for both nights only to be transferred from a large sea view room that we occupied on the first night to a small room at the back of the hotel with what we can only assume was the kitchen air vent outside our window. When we questioned the proprietor about paying the full superior charge for the downgraded room we were put in we were told in no uncertain terms that if we did not pay in full the money would be taken from our credit card as she had our card details from when we made the booking.

As well as the room drama we experienced, we were attending an event early on one morning of our stay. We requested an early breakfast only to be informed that if we wanted it early we would not be offered the full breakfast menu as breakfast was served between 8-9, not earlier.

As for the rooms themselves, the pictures on the website look great but these are deceptive. The rooms we had were dated and whilst the room we had on the first night was large, it had a tiny bathroom - not what you expect for the price you pay.

To have a room for the whole of your stay, the "superior" room and breakfast you are being charged for are not, in my view, unreasonable requests of a so called boutique hotel.

• Stayed: August 2013
15  Thank YorkAandC
Reviewed 31 August 2013

After a long walk with the dogs along the sea front we decided to pop into the Downcliffe for a coffee. A lady and her child were just leaving a table so we sat there and we sat, and we sat, and we sat some more. Nobody came to clear the table or take our order, in fact the young male waiter was more intetested in talking to the people next to us about his choice of University. A young waitress appeared briefly and took another tables order but we seem to have been invisable. I thought well Ill go inside and place our order only to be ignored there too. We wont returning again.

• Stayed: August 2013
6  Thank candycruss
Reviewed 27 August 2013

Stayed one night for Dinner Bed & Breakfast, August Bank Holiday. It was everything we hoped for and more. Such a fabulous location, well appointed, delicious food and excellent service.

Fabulous sea view and a really restful night, the sound of the waves crashing against the sea wall is strangely comforting and the seagulls didn't get up too early.

For dinner we ate King Scallops, Steak & Guinness Pie with Minted Peas and Rustic Chips and Cream of Mushroom Soup followed by The Fat Ginger Pig (I tried this and it was fantastic) and then we had a bit of a breather before we tackled two to-die-for desserts.

Breakfast was also delicious I had a beautifully Poached Egg with my Full English and Hubby had Scrambled Egg and Roast Flaked Salmon.

We will certainly be back again before too long and will not hesitate to recommend to everyone. It is not often you find a treasure like this place and it is well worth every penny, as was the Pink Champagne.

I really appreciate having my expectations exceeded and thank all the staff for our lovely time.

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 6 which has a spa bath and sea views from the front and side.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo