“Amazing”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Filey
Downcliffe House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Filey
Reviewed 19 March 2014 via mobile

On arrival I was greeted by Danielle who the most wonderful warm hostess you could wish for. I was shown to my room where I was amazed by the decor and individual ness of the room which was homely and inviting. We stayed and dined in the restaurant which was picturesque with its sea views and elegant with its decor. We ordered the 'Ginger Pig' which was delivered as promised by 'Luke' the head chef. Full of succulence and flavour. I would recommend 'The Downcliffe' to anyone in the area.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 12 March 2014

We stayed here for a Saturday night after a day in Filey. It was a lovely haven of luxury. The bedroom had 2 windows overlooking the beach, a massive bed, a well stocked wardrobe (with tea, coffee, chocolate, biscuits and sweeties) and a bathroom with a really deep bath and whirlpool. The toiletries were Molton Brown - a nice touch, and the decor was very 1930's. We had dinner that night in the smart restaurant, and were not disappointed. My lemon sole was more like a Dover sole, and the fish and chips were excellent. The service was first class throughout our stay. It would have been nice to stay longer, but we ran out of time. We will definitely return. The owner could not have been more helpful. Thoroughly recommend this hotel - we think it's the best in Filey.

Room Tip: One on the front, overlooking the beach is best.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Liz J
Reviewed 2 March 2014

I arrived at The Downcliffe on Saturday 1st March after cycling 80 miles to get there, I was in much need of refreshment before taking the train home. To my horror I left the house that morning without my switch card and only had minimal cash and had no phone signal to sort anything out.....Lizzi was great she invited me to use her landline to get my bank details from home, these were efficiently processed, I received a drink and cashback for my train journey home....Fantastic friendly service....thanks again....Adrian

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 February 2014

We have just called in for lunch at the Downcliffe and sat outside on the lovely terrace area as we had our dogs with us. My friend and I ordered smoked salmon and prawn sandwiches and handcut chips and my husband a steak sand with and chips. Both these dishes were steeply priced at £9.95. The chips were delicious and the sandwiches were stuffed full of salmon, prawns and beef - although it wasn't smoked salmon. The meal was let down by the bread on both dishes. I went for brown bread on my sandwich which turned put to be an everyday sliced brown loaf. My husband's steak sandwich was ordered on white but this was even worse as it was a very thin sliced white loaf and with the addition of large amounts of warm sirloin steak just collapsed. If the hotel is going to charge just short of £10 for sandwiches and chips the bread needs to be more exciting and less ordinary.

• Stayed: February 2014
6  Thank Deborah5063
Reviewed 17 February 2014

Myself and my other half spent a stormy night at the Downcliffe hotel and will definitely be coming back. The hotel itself is decorated and kitted out tot he highest standards. The owners Darren and Lizi almost make you feel like you are having a sleep over at their house which gave the whole trip a lovely warm feeling on what was one of the stormiest nights of the winter.

We opted to eat at the hotel restaurant in the evening and food was fantastic, all locally sourced ingredients. The Yorkshire breakfast was fantastic too!

Room Tip: Ask for room 11, the view of the sea are amazing!
Reviewed 15 February 2014

We stayed for 3 Days and had a very enjoyable time in this lovely sea front location. Parking was no problem as the have 6 parking spaces and there is ample parking overnight outside on the sea-front.

The hotel is well decorated and has a boutique style of its own.

The room was well furnished and the en-suite was of a very high quality with Villeroy and Bosch fittings and supplied with Molton Brown toiletries.

The staff were "top class" ,friendly without over-familiarity and extremely efficient. We learned that they keep staff for a long time at this hotel and it shows.

The food at breakfast, and particularly at dinner, was really well-presented and very tasty .

We stayed for 3days -2 days for Dinner B & B and 1 day on B & B basis. The price of £210 per person was value for money for the quality of accommodation and food.

The only thing stopping this stay being "perfect" was the fact that although the weather was cold the room would have benefitted from double - glazing. The restaurant too was in need of supplementary heating. After all most people do benefit from that in their homes. We did ask if they had a supplementary fan-heater to loan us but they didn't !

2  Thank istanbul187067
Reviewed 9 February 2014

Recently my wife and I spent a couple of nights at the Downcliffe House Hotel. This was not our first visit and it won't be our last! At dinner on the first night, we were informed that the soup-of-the-day was tomato and basil, which we declined; not I must add because we doubted its quality but we have found on past occasions that a main course followed by a sweet is more than adequate for our particular appetites. However, such is the care taken with this hotel's cuisine that one would not have been surprised if the owners were able to source the tomatoes and indeed the basil back to the exact location they were grown, probably on the slopes of a warm Italian village smallholding, tended by someone called Alfonso and his wife Isabella! Please allow me this slice of poetic license, as this hotel is something very special. We never tire of visiting it and the quality of service and personal care taken by Darren & Lizzie plus all their staff never changes; its an experience that is rather like a good wine, one to sip and take time over and not to be rushed. Shall we stay there again? Of course we will is the simple answer and if you dear reader have never booked a room in this quality hotel, then I would strongly suggest that you do so as soon as possible. Book in, sit back and enjoy the hotel, the food, the views and the service, over and over again!
Tony&Kath Rose Driffield East Yorkshire.

Room Tip: We have stayed in several over the years but this time we had room 8. Highly recommended!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Filey
White Lodge Hotel
#6 of 26 in Scarborough
Ambassador Hotel
Ambassador Hotel
#22 of 26 in Scarborough

Been to Downcliffe House Hotel? Share your experiences!