“Good food but expensive and lacks atmosphere”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Desi Thali - CLOSED

Desi Thali
Cuisines: Indian, Asian
Dining options: Dinner, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol
Rotherham, United Kingdom
“Good food but expensive and lacks atmosphere”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

We had high hopes for this buffet-style meal. At £11.95 each we expected excellence. What we got was all fine but nothing special, in fact, no better than in other places where we have eaten at around half the price.
There were only two other tables being used so the place felt very quiet - too quiet. Some Indian music in the background would have been nice.
We have eaten out every night this week in Filey. This was the most expensive. We will probably return to all of the others but doubt that we will come back here.

1 Thank Linda G

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Worse service ever!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

Came here for dinner with friends. One male member of staff was helpful when I advised I was a vegetarian - they were able to offer me the buffet but with a few extras vegetarian dishes. Great start.

But then a female waitress accidentally dropped a pint of coke from a tray straight into the laps of myself and one of my friends. We were soaked. We got a half hearted apology from her and that was it. We had to ask to move tables and she didn't seem particularly pleased by our request! A more senior male member of staff came over, but said nothing! We also had to ask for the drink to be replaced! I accept accidents happen but this really was appalling service. I would at the least have expected them to show some concern. Or maybe some money knocked off the bill? If my dress is stained, I'll be sending the bill.

And to add, the food was poor. I am advised by my meat eating friends that every curry in the buffet tasted the same.

AVOID.

2 Thank laurachapstick
Kent, England, United Kingdom
“Felt like we were dining in a take-away”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

We were staying in the area and fancied a curry. As we like the choice a buffet gives we decided to try Desi Thali. The food was nice but not outstanding, then again that was reflected in the low price. We did feel that there was a certain lack of atmosphere in the place, it felt very much like a take-away rather than a restaurant (it IS both but leaned toward the former) . If you visit, take cash as they don't accept any other form of payment.

1 Thank Poozle2
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Nice food, limited choice”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

The food was good, although not amazing. The choice of dishes was very limited for a buffet and there were no desserts. Although it's not very expensive, other Indian buffets I've visited have offered much more choice for the same price. Dishes were slow to be refilled.

Scarborough, United Kingdom
“Good service, perfect overall”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

Had booked for 8 people and we sat down straight away and made us feel welcomed, lovely staff, perfect overall, and the food was lovely and hot :)

1 Thank Cara169