“Loved it.”
Review of The Star Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Harome
The Star Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Harome B&B and Inns
London
“Loved it.”
Reviewed 20 June 2005

From the moment we arrived at this little hotel we felt welcome, comfortable and relaxed. Staff were extremely friendly and helpful. We stayed in room 3 which has a bath at the foot of the bed. Quite a small bathroom. Beautifully furnished room with cookies, sweets and drinks provided. Breakfast is served in the piggery with an enourmous round table that the guests sit around. You can help yourself to the buffet or a cooked breakfast, all lovely fresh local ingredients.

There is also a wonderful lounge with fireplace in the middle and lots of comfortable sofas with magazines and papers where the guests can enjoy themselves along with an honesty bar equipt with almost any drink you can think of. Even though it was the beginning of June the fire was lit and there were candles all over the place which made it all very cosy.

Across the road is the pub which serves michelin starred food - it is worth visiting Harome just for this. The food is wonderful, using many local ingredients. I would really recommend the Star dessert taster (miniatures of all desserts on the menu).

This is the ideal venue from which to explore the Yorkshire moors and nearby areas. You need to do a lot of walking so you don't feel so guilty when eating the wonderful meals.

• Stayed June 2005
4 Thank tjf

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Reviewed 24 May 2005

I booked The Barn in Black Eagle Cottage at the Star as part of a birthday present for my husband and it is ideal for this kind of break. The cottage is picture postcard pretty and the suite is ideal for the ultimate chill out.

Our conclusion from the weekend was that whilst the food and accommodation is fantastic, the service is strangely variable at the Star. It veered from being amazingly good to oddly remote. On arrival we were impressed, we were greeted by the barman who is worth his weight in gold, having impeccable manners and being genuinely friendly and well organised. He made us feel welcome and special. The room wasn't ready so we had lunch at The Star whilst waiting for our key. This was a mixed experience. The food was great, my husband loved the steak sandwich. However, I found a piece of ham on my vegetarian sandwich and a beetle in my salad! I was very discreet about raising this and didn't make a fuss, the waiter was apologetic. He took away my plate saying he'd speak to the chef. He then walked past our table at least four times and never made eye contact or spoke to us again. After a while I went into the bar and spoke with the owner, she was aware of the issue,very apologetic, polite and professional but I found it odd that no one had bothered to speak to us directly.

We were then escorted down to the cottage by a female member of staff who was again, friendly, warm and welcoming. The cottage comes with a mini-kitchen and a very, very generous hamper of delicious food for breakfast, snacks, nibbles and picnics. I'd rung in advance and was most impressed by the fact that the staff knew I was vegetarian and had made every effort to make sure I was happy with the food they had supplied aswell as plenty of meaty stuff for my husband. This level of care and attention was great, but seemed at odds with our lunchtime experience.

The big winner in The Barn is definitely the bathroom - particularly the huge claw foot bath and the lovely Molton Brown products. Only downsides -as I relaxed in the bath, I could hear every word of the conversation of the couple staying in the suite adjacent to the Barn. Also, there are a few coat hooks, but otherwise, nowhere to hang clothes. Otherwise, the Barn is ideal for a relaxing overnight stay to follow dinner. Dinner was fantastic - the food and wine were really good, living up to our expectations and the reputation of the place. Service was also extremely good, efficient and polite, friendly and not stuffy at all.

However, checking out on Sunday wasn't easy. Outside opening hours you are directed to the Star's corner shop, but at around 9am I found it hard to raise any kind of response and had to hammer on the door. When someone finally opened up, he was reasonably friendly, but I got the impression I was impinging on his time and at one point snapped at me that I'd left the door open. The female owner again made an appearance and was pleasant and friendly but I get the impression that The Star and it's many incarnations are really demanding of the owners time and as a result, the service is patchy and some of the details are missed. I've never found it difficult to pay my bill before! It's a shame, as these small things leave a lasting impression. Odd that for such great food and lovely surroundings we can't decide whether we'll go back or not....

• Stayed May 2005
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 18 November 2004

Just spent two nights here. We had a truly wonderful and memorable stay. The Star is perfect in everyway from the food to the accommodation. Attention to detail is second to none. We stayed in a 15th century thatched cottage nearby to the pub which was delightful. It was a cottage you would be picture in a fairytale. We had hamper on arrival full of yummy goodies, full facilities are in the cottage so you can make your own breakfast, so when you awake from your comfy bed you can do as you please. We ate in The Star, and the food was outstanding, traditional, plenty of it and all delicious.

I cannot fault this place, it was truly a magical and wonderful experience

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Berkeley, California
Reviewed 7 April 2004

There was no room at the Inn, but there was a space at the bar. I enjoyed a lovely Sunday lunch--one of the best meals I have ever had in the UK. Unlike too many "pubs," the Star retains a very cozy feel, with warming fires and NO jukeboxes or video games. Since I was driving (solo), I can only say that the wine list looked good. I'd love to go back and stay at their hotel, enjoying one or more evenings, replete with dinner.

4 Thank Bertomom
Reviewed 7 November 2003

Not the easiest place to get to, but worth the effort. It's about 25 miles along winding roads from York, but en route you do see what Yorkshire is famous for..... plenty of country pubs! The food is fairly traditional but with some contemparary twists and the service is almost on the grovelling side of helpfull. The wine list is extensive, listed in a War and Peace style tome by continent and all tastes are catered for. The quality of the food is exeptional but more surprising was the generosity of the portions. It's quite a rarity for a Michelin award restaurant to privide portions beyond the capacity of my stomach, but this is one of them! For desert I ordered a sample of all their sweets, costing a very modest £7.50, and aided by my partner, still failed to finish it.The bill for a 3 course meal with a bottle of their better (read more expensive) new world wines was a very reasonable £100 for 2 people. I would highly recommend this eatery for any occasion but make sure you book your table at least 2 weeks in advance or you may be dissapointed.

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Harome
The Black Swan Hotel
Raithwaite Estate
#2 of 20 in Whitby
The Grand Hotel & Spa
The Talbot Hotel Malton

Been to The Star Inn? Share your experiences!