“Top Class Inn Serving Great Food”
Review of Star Inn

Star Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Harome
Price range: US$0 - US$200
Cuisines: British
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 2 July 2014

I have eaten here a few times and have never been disappointed. As the weather was so good we ate in the garden. We tried to dine in their new York establishment but it was fully booked.

StarInnHarome, Owner at Star Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Al Fresco is the way forward when the sun is shining in one of the best pub gardens in the district (although I am possibly biased!).

The country cousins of The Star Inn The City will always look after you!

Cheers

Andrew Pern

Reviewed 29 June 2014

Obviously the Star is a quality place and operation, from the rooms to the bar and the food. It is still obviously a pub - it looks like a pub, has real ales and serves food in the bar. Depending on why and/or how you are 'using' it, this can be either a good thing or perhaps a 'confusing' thing.Generally, we loved it.

The word 'pub' conjures up images of friendliness and relaxing (amongst many others). It was. From the little I have read about the owners and the place over the last decade I have a sense of them aiming to be the 'best in class'. Some of the reviews would suggest they have achieved their goal.

We were a little confused and disappointed (only because they want to achieve their goals). The staff are friendly and mostly well trained/know what they are supposed to be doing, but ...a couple of instances where they need to work harder. The first night I had the Ryedale Lamb - delicious, excellent, the dish explained at the table, couldn't fault it. The following night my wife ordered it - a lot less excellent (cooking) and no explanations by the server. This second night didn't seem busier than the first, not that it should make any difference anyway, but the service fell away - wine/water not topped up, difficult getting the bill. Personally, after the initial glass of wine being poured I would rather have the bottle within reach so I can top up when I want, not when the server remembers. Back to the pub thing - one can tolerate imperfections in a friendly pub but not in an expensive, Michelin star striving restaurant. I'm sure they do, but the owners could do to clarify their service standards themselves and then brief their staff accordingly. On neither night did I really know who was 'in charge' of running the front of house.

1  Thank dazler01
StarInnHarome, Owner at Star Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2014

As a pub first and foremost, we try and be something for everyone. A number of new staff have begun working for us for the summer time, although I am a little unsure when you visited us as the review is a month after your visit.

Anyway, we will keep trying our best. Here is to the next eighteen years!!!

Kind regards

Reviewed 20 June 2014

This is a great pub and restaurant, quite unpretentious and serving the very best in local food. We stopped for lunch and after a very warm welcome by staff, were offered a number of options, from fabulous sandwiches to a three course meal. There was a specials board, which had a fixed price two or three course menu, starter, main and sweet. £20 for any two and £25 for all three. I think they called this the Market Menu? My wife and I chose the two course meal with the option of taking the third course if we had room. We didn't, the portions are just the right size. Before the starter arrives we were given a flat cap full of home made bread including one bread made with black pudding, absolutely fabulous, but the best was yet to come. The first course was a very special prawn cocktail, with salmon, edible flowers and a wonderful sauce, sorry Star Inn, not really doing it justice with the description. We then had pork with a rhubarb sauce and vegetables, again the taste and presentation was top class. All in all a great meal and well worth the money.
To finish off the atmosphere was made all the better by the very friendly locals and of course the staff. We would definitely recommend this restaurant and will be visiting it again on our next visit to Whitby.
Although we didn't have children with us, I'm fairly sure there was a child's menu. The pub would be great to visit for all groups.

StarInnHarome, Owner at Star Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2014

Perfect, thank you! Next time bring the off spring, the customers of the future. Everybody is welcome!

Many thanks

Reviewed 19 June 2014 via mobile

Went for Saturday lunch with friends. We were given time to peruse the menu. When our order was taken, the waiter simply noted down our choices without any comment or explanation of what each dish would be served with - so we didn't know whether we would need to order any side dishes. Even when one of us added a side the rest of us weren't asked about sides.
We were soon shown to our table and our starters arrived. My tuna tartare was sublime. Then the mains came. I had chosen the 5 types of beef which was lovely - very tasty and well presented. The only thing was that there was beef and nothing else. A side would have been nice... one of my friends who also had the beef shared his side order with me. The two others both had the lamb and were distinctly underwhelmed by it. We ordered desserts and they were very good, and we enjoyed our coffee in the loft.
Overall, not a bad meal. Other than the side order issue, I had no cause for complaint. At the same time, I wasn't "wowed" by the food either. The overall experience would certainly have been better had the service been less indifferent. Although I don't like intrusive waiting staff, some interaction beyond passively taking orders and moving plates would be nice.

1  Thank CTF_80
StarInnHarome, Owner at Star Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2014

I am not sure where we are here. If some of the food was 'sublime' but you weren't 'wowed' by it'???
The 'sides' are for the whole table and if anymore potatoes and vegetables are required then it is never a problem to ask for more.

Kind regards

Reviewed 17 June 2014

We've being going to the Star a couple of times a year for the last decade or so. We've been when it had its Michelin Star and when the reviews were not quite so kind.

I had the best meal that I have ever eaten there circa 2006 when a woodcock rossini surpassed even a sublime turbot dish at Alain Ducasse's restaurant at the Dorchester when we were lucky enough to have dinner there a few years later.

Even when times were not quite so good the food was never worse than good and the service had always been top class in my experience.

We dropped in for an impromtu Sunday lunch last weekend. It was father's day and very busy.

I am delighted to say that from start to finish the whole lunch was outstanding (including the food for our young children who were with us for the first time).

The presentation may be a bit prettier than it used to be but the food has lost none of its gutsy flavour. It seems to me that it's back to its very best (and dare I say it maybe even slightly better). The return of the Michelin star cannot be far away.

In my view, when Andrew Pern and his team are firing on all cylinders there is no better place to eat anywhere. It is a fabulous setting with fabulous service and fabulous food.

It makes you proud to be a Yorkshireman!

StarInnHarome, Owner at Star Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2014

Maybe Mnr. Ducasse could give us one or two of his Michelin stars as he has lots! Yorkshire's 'cuisine Terroir' would be the envy of France if we were over there!

Merci Beaucoup