“Dated, dirty and expensive”
Review of The Fountain Hotel

The Fountain Hotel
Ranked #15 of 23 Hawes B&B and Inns
Reviewed 3 January 2014 via mobile

Stayed as a family group, excellent location, in the heart of the town and great views from the car park. The room was very dated with ancient furniture, dirty carpet and cobwebs on most cellings, the bedding smelled stale, the bathroom was also dated with a mixer tap for the shower. The bed was bought second hand from a Russian gulag I think, it was terrible, I eventually slept in the floor which was dirty. Then there was the breakfast, big appetites need not apply, very small either over cooked or under, no beans, mushrooms, hash browns or black pudding, eggs-go for scramble it's hard to get it wrong, and they looked nice.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Paul C

Reviewed 3 January 2014

stayed here a few times and will go again,the breakfast is so good,downstairs is a proper pub with a open fire.the view from the bedrom overlooking the hills was lovely.he only minus point is that the bedrooms could do with a update

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank David_Maher_3010
Reviewed 1 January 2014

Had a family room at £95 (must be joking), the bed has every spring poking through the mattress, it's like been on a torture rack, and gave me pressure sores. The carpet is grubby, and the bathroom straight from the 70's. All in all, I would of rather stayed in the car. The pub downstairs is nice. Shame about the hotel.

• Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank Pacold
Reviewed 10 November 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights when I was on a hill walking trip. I had a single room at a rate of £30 per night which was half the double room rate; so no single supplement which was great and the cheapest in the area. My room was clean, the bed comfortable and had a nice bathroom with bath; just what is needed after a day on the hills!
The food was good pub grub at a reasonable price and a good choice for breakfast. The staff were really friendly as were the locals who frequent the pub. They welcome dogs and offer them treats. The log fire was excellent.
My only complaint is the car park. To get into it you need to negotiate a really narrow passage; not much wider than a garage. There are also narrow corridors and stairs, so probably not suitable for people with mobility problems.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Christine G
Reviewed 19 August 2013

Wanting an evening meal when we were on holiday we look at all the pubs in Hawes and my wife and I are so glad that we chose this one to eat and drink in. Not only is Mandy and her staff friendly to thier customers they are as welcoming to all well behaved dogs as well. Maggie, our retired ex racing Greyhound was made to feel at ease as she was offered biscuits as soon as we sat down. The Fountain has a link with a pet shop near by who supply them with the buiscuits for guests dogs. The food was BRILLIANT as was the lager and bitter. I had the liver and bacon with onion gravy and envoyed it so much that two nights later I had it AGAIN! Now if that is not a recomendation I don't know what is! The home made meat pie was worthy of 10 out of 10. So if you are looking for somewhere to eat when you are in Hawes I recomend you go to The Fountain in the Market Place, you will not regret it, and your dog (if you have one) will love it.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank oldmotherriley
Reviewed 25 July 2013

A few of us stayed here whilst cycling the YD cycles way, we only stayed for night, so did not really see much of the town or the hotel. In the eveing, we had a peak in the Residents Lounge and WOW... oh my goodness does this room need updating, it was drab, dreary, dull and desperate!

The bedroom we had was ok, we werent really in long enought to bother. Breakfast was good and filling.

Yes, I would stay again.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 June 2013

We stayed in the family room which was given to us at the same rate as a twin room as that is what we had requested but there were none available. Therefore we paid £75 instead of £95 for B&B. In all honesty, £75 was a fairer price as I think £95 would have been quite expensive for the room we had. It was clean but basic but it did meet our requirements. We didn't get up for breakfast as it finished at 9:30 which I feel is a bit early and we had to depart by 10:30.
The bar downstairs was lively and we had a good time in there, beer prices quite high (over £3 per pint of either lager or beer) but staff were friendly.
The booking itself over the phone was easy and they were very helpful, especially with the price reduction.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank David W
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hawes
Stone House Hotel
The Board Inn
The Board Inn
#12 of 23 in Hawes
Southview Bed & Breakfast

Been to The Fountain Hotel? Share your experiences!