“Nice place”
Review of The Board Inn

The Board Inn
Ranked #12 of 23 Hawes B&B and Inns
Reviewed 24 April 2013

The staff very friendly, the room was clean and tidy. Lots of room in room 2.
Nice breakfast.
It is situated right in the market town close to everything. The menu on the evening very good too. Would recommend it.

• Stayed: April 2013
There are newer reviews for The Board Inn

Reviewed 14 April 2013

Had a meal and a pint and a friendly chat the food was good value and the lanlord ale was well kept will call again when in area. Hawes is a great village with plenty of walks and good country shops cheese lovers dream.

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed 7 April 2013

My husband & I stayed in Hawes about 10 years ago but couldn't remember what the place was called. So we looked to Trip Advisor for some reviews before booking. After seeing 'The Old Board Inn' on the site, reading the reviews & looking through the pics we thought we were in for a lovely Easter weekend.
We arrived late in the afternoon after a bit of a disaster on the way there, to be greeted by a heaving pub of rowdy people, all clearly enjoying themselves!!!
We were shown to our room, by a lovely, helpful young lady, which was very clean. But had a rather strange, underlying smell. We couldn't put our finger on it. But after my husband had used half a can of my deodorant to try & get rid of the smell. It was still there.
I had noticed, immediately on entering the room that there was a patch on the wall (I don't mean a Small square. It was probably a 30cm square patch) which was bubbly & mouldy. I then noticed that around the seals of the bedroom window were also very mouldy. And once I went into the bathroom, which I will add, was also very clean. There was a window with an recess of about 30cm all the way around it was covered in thick black mould. Maybe that was where the smell was coming from???

The next morning was equally as disappointing, when we went down for breakfast. We were asked the night before to put in our requests for breakfast. Which we did. I am a Vegetarian. There was little choice for me, other than beans or toast. But anyway. I ordered beans on toast. My husband ordered a full English. We ordered breakfast for 8.30am.
Once in the dining room we were asked several times when we wanted our breakfast. We asked for it in a few minutes as we were having some cereals & toast.
We knew why when our hot breakfast came. It had clearly been sat under a heat lamp for some time. My beans were devoid of any juice & the toast had almost turned to fried bread. It was indelible.
My husband's wasn't much better. He did try, managing to eat some toast, egg & cardboard bacon. I'm sure it's difficult to get the timings right when cooking for guests at different times. But we would have waited the time for a fresh cooked breakfast.

On check out we were asked if everything was ok. I commented about the issue of mould in our room. To be told the owners had only just taken over. Which is ok. But surely they must have seen the mould, or at least smelt it. The owner was very apologetic & said he would get his cleaner to look at it. But they are renting these rooms for the going rate & mould is a health hazard. Rooms shouldn't be rented with any amount of mould EVER.
The walls in the rooms were very thin, so privacy was an issue, that & the huge gap under our door. At one point in the night there were some very rowdy people returning to their room, well. I think they were staying here. But not sure. Because after lots of commotion on the staircase it then all went quiet. But they could have just been guests in the pub. Because the door to the rooms was open access to the general public in the pub. We're they just inebriated pub users???

But on a lighter note. Both the owners were very welcoming & even helped us find secure, personal parking for our beloved car. Thank you guys.
I do feel mean writing this, but feel others need to be aware that there is an issue with mould in this place. Although, I can only speak for the room we stayed in. Which was very clean.

Reviewed 28 March 2013

You say you we're forcibly removed from the premises, is this after you assaulted the landlord and spat in his face as you entered. Then had to be held down. Then again as you entered the room to collect your belongings you attacked him. If you are going to leave a review then tell the whole truth please.

• Stayed: March 2013
2  Thank dalesman0
Reviewed 26 March 2013

my husband and I stayed here last weekend , The coldest snowiest weekend of the year but we still enjoyed it . they were very friendly staff and looked after us well and made us very welcome. The bar was very nice with a roaring fire which was very much needed , breakfast was lovely and you ordered it the day before and you could pick yor own timeslot . The room was basic but clean and comfortable .we will be returning in the summer for another weekend just hope its the same land lord and lady they were lovely and only a young couple but they worked very hard ,

Room Tip: if you want a front room with double bed pick room 4
Reviewed 11 March 2013

Have stopped often for a drink at this hotel and always wanted to stay there, what a shame - nice people, nice food, lovely room BUT when we arrived waste bins in room and bathroom hadn't been emptied from last occupant, no tea or milk in the drinks basket had go down and ask and had to ask again on the second morning for replacements! And for £80 a night b&b not a single toiletry in the bath not even a bar of soap and for that price I would have expected full range of toiletries as you do in all b&bs these days. Breakfast was ok but giant jug of milk on communal table for everyone so each coffee/tea you poured you had to get up for the milk, think they should have individual milk jugs on each table for your drinks.

Room Tip: Room 2 very spacious but over top of bar, rooms at back of hotel would be more suitable
1  Thank wilkiebob
Reviewed 22 February 2013

We only stayed for the night but I wish we'd had time to stay longer as the staff are very friendly and helpful and our room was so clean and cosy. It's really well located just by the bus stop we were dropped off at and is a great starting point for lots of lovely walks. The food was good and we felt very well looked after. Twinkle the cat is also a lovely host!

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank Rebecca H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hawes
Stone House Hotel
Ebor House
Ebor House
#4 of 23 in Hawes
Southview Bed & Breakfast

Been to The Board Inn? Share your experiences!