“Lovely little bistro! Lovely location! Gluten free choices! Hooray! !” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Bay Tree Cafe and Bistro

The Bay Tree Cafe and Bistro
Ranked #12 of 24 Restaurants in Hawes
Cuisines: Cafe, British, Soups
Good for: Child-friendly, Kids, Cheap Eats
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Brunch, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Lovely little bistro! Lovely location! Gluten free choices! Hooray! !”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2013 via mobile

Being on a gluten free diet I initially went to the only gluten free cafe that was listed on the coeliac uk website to find it was closed (quite a few places in Hawes seem to be closed on Wednesdays!!) So resigned myself to another salad or jacket potato somewhere again! ! So after a little walk around and being part of a party of 4 who did not have any dietary needs we decided to just call into this bistro as they were advertising jacket potatoes (which I have to say did look nice but for me they are becoming a bit samey! !) . Now I have to say that although this bistro did do my normal options as described above I was so glad that I asked if any of the many soups they had listed were gluten free to be told they all were! ! Well I was like a child in a candy shop and what a choice I had! ! I decided on the mushroom soup purely because it used to be my favourite before my diagnosis but there was so many tasty varieties. And it was served with a couple of slices of gluten free bread too. I was told that they could easily adapt the sandwich choices to accommodate too. Enjoyed my soup immensely and noticed they had a couple of gluten free cakes too but had to succumb to the yummy strawberry meringue! Extremely naughty but wonderfully nice! !

It was a lovely little bistro with helpful and friendly staff with good food! ! Obviously a popular place as tables were always full!!

• Visited August 2013

Sandbach, United Kingdom
“Great food, good services - very filling”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2013

Popped in for a bite as were had stopped off in Hawes for a wander around.

The menu was extensive, nice selection of hot and cold food.

We had a Mediterranean baguette and ciabatta with lots of bacon, brie and an unusual salad with bits of lovely fruit in it. Staff were very pleasant and prompt. Drinks served in under a minute and food was well presented and extremely tasty. The place was completely full - so well done.

Toilet facilities were a little odd - upstairs and shared with the offices above. Bit awkward if there were other workers in there (just quiet as this was at the weekend)

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
North Yorkshire
“Fantastic food and service.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2013

Called in to this lovely café with my wife for lunch. I had the Bay Tree salad bowl! What can I say wow!- mixed leaves, all the normal salad ingredients plus melon, pineapple, kiwi, strawberries, grapes and more, topped with bacon, ham and chicken, ale chutney, local bread and homemade oatcakes. My wife had the Wensleydale Mushrooms which were creamy mushrooms topped with the famous smoked Wensleydale cheese and the local bread. Finished off with lovely homemade coffee cake and coffee supplied by Taylors of Harrogate. Very friendly waitress. If visiting Hawes don't miss The Bay Tree.

• Visited June 2013
2 Thank Peter M
Yorkshire Dales
“I don't even know where to begin”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2013

Called in for lunch after a walk around the town thinking that it looked pleasant enough from the outside. Got inside and it was dark, stuffy and swelteringly hot. Sat and waited nearly 15 minutes for our order to be taken while 2 other tables who arrived after us had theirs taken, only to find that the waitress had no idea what was left on the specials board and had to keep running into the kitchen to check. It then transpired that most of the items still on the specials board had run out so we had to keep reselecting. We both ordered a meat and potato pie with veg and potatoes. We had to wait ages for my partners drink and then when the food came it was mince and onion pie, clearly homemade, but the pastry was the thickest, stodgiest I've ever tasted, with tinned mushy peas and one new potato. These cost us £16! The waitresses were school children who had no idea about customer service - tables that needed clearing were just walked past, people were sitting waiting for orders to be taken, people were ordering to then be told what they had ordered was not available, food was brought before cutlery and the worst was a glass of orange for a customer being poured into somebody elses used glass on an uncleared table. We paid as soon as we could (having had to wait for a more senior member of staff to go upstairs to the holiday cottage company to get their card machine) and having to add up the bill myself as the waitress couldn't and exited as quickly as possible. An absolute disaster - we chose really badly and will try one of the other places in town next time.

• Visited June 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Emma_Darbyshire
London
“very poor”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2013

went there to try the lemon curd scone. The service was absolutely terrible You have to ask how long does a toasted teacake take?

Visited May 2013