The hotel is in a good location with excellent views from some of the rooms, it is an old building that has seen many uses and has been extended over time.
The room was clean and spacious with a large four-poster bed. It lacked a comfortable couch but had most other things you would need. The bed was extremely uncomfortable and between 2330 and 0000 there was several loud bangs like someone slamming heavy doors. Not much sleep was had.
The bar was crowded due to there being an Italian night open to non-residents, there was also a small child at the bar - a personal pet hate.
The menu was OK but nothing special, the food cooked adequately. There were no daily specials so if you are staying more than one night you are faced with the same dishes again. The staff were pleasant and helpful though we were initially brought the wrong bottle of wine and had to send it back.
The resident's lounge was in darkness when we went to have coffee there, the staff member couldn't find the light switch, when we eventually sat in there it was cold and unwelcoming.
Overall it was very expensive for what you got and there are much better hotels we have stayed in for a lot less cash.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Simonstone Hall, once home to Lord and Lady Wharncliff is set at the foot of Stags Fell with breathtaking Views over Upper Wensleydale, the River Ure and the foothills of the Pennine range. This magnificent country house, is privately owned and has been carefully restored, whilst preserving the historic character of the beautiful building. Standing in it's own splendid grounds, the view from the front of the hotel is surely one of the most stunning in the country and can e enjoyed from serveral of the bedrooms also.Simonstone Hall is the ultimate tranquil retreat; it's atmosphere exudes comfort and finery in equal measures. From the moment you arrive you feel welcomed and indulged. A grand staircase leads to the second floor where a selection of elegant hotel bedrooms can be found.Relaxing lounges with log fires provide the perfect haven to relax and unwind. With spectacular views from both the Brasserie and Four Fells restaurant, it's the perfect place to enjoy a relaxed or intimate dinner. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Odigeo and Priceline so you can book your Simonstone Hall Country House Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Simonstone Hall Country Hotel
- Simonstone Hall Country Hawes
- Simonstone Hall Country House Hotel Hawes, Yorkshire