My wife and I really enjoyed our recent midweek break at Simonstone Hall and will definitely be returning sometime soon. Although it looks fairly ordinary from the road as you pass through the tiny hamlet of High Shaw, it is anything but that!
Once inside guests can see that the Hotel has a magnificent setting overlooking the Hawes valley and boasts a large garden with super views of Wensleydale and the distant hills. This large Country House is very interesting and feels almost like a stately home with lots of attractive furniture, paintings and ornaments adding to the atmosphere of being somewhere special.
We asked to see a number of bedrooms and they are all nicely furnished with very comfortable beds and all spotlessly clean. Although some of the bathrooms are showing their age, they are all very much in keeping with the rest of the hotel, ie warm, cosy and welcoming. Some bedrooms have magnificent views, but others do not and , as you might expect, the price difference tends to reflect the quality and size of the accommodation. Whichever room you choose the cost represents good value for money.
The restaurant is excellent with a good choice of dishes on the menu which are of a high quality and served professionally by very friendly and courteous staff. Breakfasts are traditional and wholesome and served in the Brasserie while the Table d'Hote menu offers residents a sumptuous 5 course candlelit dinner with coffee to follow,and is something to really look forward to after a day of walking or sightseeing. The wine list is amazing with many of the better known wines available at reasonable prices, but with a quite remarkable selection of top quality wines for the more adventurous. It is even possible to have a look at the Hotel's wine cellar during your stay and buy a bottle or two of your favourite wine at cost price to take home with you!
The Brasserie which is adjacent to the Hotel Bar is open for most of the day and serves more informal lunches and dinners.
So...all in all a delightful place to stay for a very friendly welcome and a most comfortable holiday in the Dales.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Simonstone Hall, once home to Lord and Lady Wharncliff is set at the foot of Stags Fell with breathtaking Views over Upper Wensleydale, the River Ure and the foothills of the Pennine range. This magnificent country house, is privately owned and has been carefully restored, whilst preserving the historic character of the beautiful building. Standing in it's own splendid grounds, the view from the front of the hotel is surely one of the most stunning in the country and can e enjoyed from serveral of the bedrooms also.Simonstone Hall is the ultimate tranquil retreat; it's atmosphere exudes comfort and finery in equal measures. From the moment you arrive you feel welcomed and indulged. A grand staircase leads to the second floor where a selection of elegant hotel bedrooms can be found.Relaxing lounges with log fires provide the perfect haven to relax and unwind. With spectacular views from both the Brasserie and Four Fells restaurant, it's the perfect place to enjoy a relaxed or intimate dinner. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Odigeo so you can book your Simonstone Hall Country House Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Simonstone Hall Country Hotel
- Simonstone Hall Country Hawes
- Simonstone Hall Country House Hotel Hawes, Yorkshire