Simonstone Hall Country House Hotel
  • Breakfast included
Thorns Hall(Sedbergh)
Golden Lion Hotel(Horton-in-Ribblesdale)
  • Restaurant
All reviewsluxury roommain restaurantwine cellarviews are stunningsunday lunchfour poster bedantique furnitureevening mealyorkshire dalesrelaxing staylarge roomlovely atmospherebooked a tablelovely weekendstayed for one nightfollowing morningbiscuits
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 3 April 2014

We spent three nights here and had booked three of the standard rooms. We enjoyed our stay very much. Service was very attentive and the food was super. Breakfast was especially good although a little slow in service one morning. Dinner in the restaurant on two nights was very good and the service was outstanding. Of the three rooms, two were very acceptable but the third rather cramped and cold with a handheld shower and no shower screen. We were provided with a portable heater but it was still not as warm as we would have liked or the rest of the hotel. We were a little belatedly offered a room change but by then we felt we could put up with it. Lovely stay overall but would suggest that the bathroom to Room 18 be upgraded and the heating checked. Wifi very weak in much of the hotel. Good value package.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Simonstonehall, General Manager at Simonstone Hall Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 May 2014

Dear Ahajtrip,

Thank you for writing about your stay at Simonstone Hall. We have taken note of your constructive remarks. We do however have 4 categories of rooms. Perhaps next time, if possible, we could try to accommodate with more comparable rooms, within the category. The rooms however are all so different, which is a great feature and can make matching up challenging. Please do not hesitate to contact us again when you are in the area.

Reviewed 30 March 2014

Visited Simonstone again for 4 nights and it is still as inviting and as welcoming as ever.Our room was clean and well furnished bed was comfortable.The food was good along with the service. The views are spectacular,it was again a lovely stress free break, that we both enjoyed and we shall be returning.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear davidpike 56,

The Hall is experienced by many of our (often returning) guests as a hotel which is centrally situated in relation to Yorkshire and the Lakes. At the same time, the setting of our Hall is amazing, a solid base for your plans and where a multi night stay works very well. If you like to make another visit to our Hall, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Reviewed 21 March 2014

It was a lovely 5 night break, the staff were welcoming and friendly. Nothing was too much trouble for them. Great service and with a smile. The room had a truly stunning view as did the downstairs lounges, restaurant and breakfast room. Food was excellent and plentiful. It may have been cold and outside but it was warm and cosy inside with a big comfy bed traditional furnishings, spotless clean we can't praise this place enough, thanks for a memorable stay.
We will be back.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank millielily S

Dear millielily S,

We love to create another memorable stay for you. Please let us know when you are thinking of planning something. A successful stay in a hotel is often a result of a good relationship between the guest and the hotel staff, supported by our views, good food and drink, just to mention a few of the other contributing factors. We enjoy what we are doing, a basis for a smile, as far as we are concerned. Thank you for writing and you are more than welcome to return to the Hall!

General manager

Reviewed 19 March 2014

Me and my partner stumbled across this hotel while enjoying a drive through the country. It was rather late at night when we stopped and asked them on the off chance that they might have a room available. Luckily, they did.
We were shown to room two by a polite and friendly gentleman. I was very pleasantly surprised and impressed with the room, the bed was huge with beautiful linen, the furnishings were also elegant and fitted with the theme and history of the hotel. The bathroom was big and perfect. Everything was spotless, tidy and well looked after.
We went for drinks at the bar, the bar man was the same man who showed us to our room and At this point looked a bit frazzled as the bar was busy. We sat with our drinks in a lounge area which was quieter then the bar, and I was impressed with the charm of the place yet again.
Breakfast the next morning was great, my partner had eggs Benedict and I had the kippers. Both were beautifully cooked.
I will stay at this place again happily and recommend to all of my friends.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Mary Y,

Thank you for writing about the hotel; you stumbled and the barman was frazzled. You had an enjoyable stay and the barman has recovered since. No problem. Next time, drive around the stunning Dales and then straight to us. It is advised to make a reservation along the way, even though we do obviously welcome, so called, walk-ins, if we have rooms still available. Again, thank you for making the time to write and if there are any questions in relation to a future stay, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Reviewed 13 March 2014

This was my email to the hotel, to which I received no reply, and no reply again after a 2nd email. Please have the courtesy to reply to my email. Do not ask me to telephone like in other review replies, just reply to my email please.

We stayed overnight with you on a DBB rate on Thursday 20th Feb. We stayed in room 14.

On arrival at the hotel everything was OK. We were greeted by a reasonably friendly lady who checked us in and showed us to our room. She said the she would arrange for the heating to come on as the room was very cold. The heating did come on but the room remained very cold for the duration of our stay. The shower sprayed out at all angles soaking the bathroom floor. The room however, was lovely and very clean.

We spent the afternoon in the bar area and ordered a drink after eventually finding a member of staff to serve us. We also observed a lot of other people having the same problem and wondering around trying to find someone to serve them. Great that we could have our dog in the bar area though, this is a plus.

The main reason for this complaint was the food at dinner and the lack of experience of the waiting staff. I ordered the game terrine and my husband the scallops. Mine was OK if not a tad under seasoned but my husband enjoyed his scallops.

For our mains, my husband ordered the fish with sautéed baby corn, beetroot capriccio?? (This is an Opera? I assume you meant carpaccio but who knows. This did not work anyway) and I think on the menu it said sauce vierge? The fish tasted like it had been boiled for a day or 2, the corn was not sautéed but boiled and the new potatoes were dry and miserable looking. The sauce vierge was unlike any other I have tasted before or made myself. it could not be described as a sauce, more like a lumpy mess. In the 20 years my husband and I have been together, I think I have only ever seen him return food twice before. It must have been dreadful. When he called the waitress over to complain she took the plate and didn't even bother to ask what was wrong, so I asked her if she cared to know what the problem was and went on to explain. She apologised, took it away and came back with the menu to choose something else. He chose the steak and chips as a fail-safe option. This he said was OK.

I ordered the venison steak with roasted veg and fondant potato. I asked for the steak to be medium to well done. It was absolutely cremated. It looked like smaller old pieces of meat not all from the same steak? It was so dry and chewy I could not eat it. The vegetables were bland and un-seasoned, the potato was quite nice although again un-seasoned. I ate about a fifth of the plate. I would expect the waitress to have asked if everything was OK, seeing I had hardly touched the food, but she didn't. I thought there was no point saying anything as I didn't want anything else on the menu and didn't want to have to wait for something else and though dessert might be better.

Oh dear, dessert was not great. The waffles with bananas was dry and unadventurous. The ice cream was nice though, I assume this was bought in? I ordered the cheese. Some of the biscuits were soft and had obviously been left out or old? There was no offer from the waitress of the cheese names but I worked out what they were.

Breakfast was again OK, nothing to get excited about.

We wanted to stay a 2nd night and enquired (before dinner the previous day) about staying again. Let down by dinner and the lack of service we decided to go on somewhere else and checked out after breakfast.

I offered these comments to the lady checking us out (we were not asked if we had enjoyed our stay). She replied 2-3 times that she couldn't comment as she had only worked there 3 days (maybe she said 3 weeks I can't remember). What concern was this of mine how long she has worked there? I hinted that something should be taken off the bill as dinner was so bad to which she didn't respond so at the least I asked her to take off the service charge/gratuity.

I would have expected better communication and service at dinner and from the lady dealing with my complaint checking out.
We feel this is such a shame as the building and the location you have there is top notch, badly and sadly let down by the food you offer and parts of the service. We would return but would not want to stay for dinner, we would eat locally instead.

I look forward to your reply to my points raised. I am a huge fan of trip advisor and write great reviews regularly. I don't however, like to leave poor feedback on there, I prefer to write direct to allow you to deal with this at source. I only leave poor feedback when there is no other option.

I hope you are able to act positively from this feedback.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
12  Thank babs1111
Simonstonehall, Manager at Simonstone Hall Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2014

An email has been sent to you as requested.
Kind regards