We were staying on the hotels dinner bed and breakfast deal. Breakfast was very good, service first class and well presented tasty food. Dinner was OK my pigeon starter and sea bream main course was fine but my wife was having a problem finding anything on the limited menu and soup and lamb were the only options she had both were prepared from good materials but were almost tasteless. Up to this point as our initial contact with reception and the lounge areas were good I would probably rate the stay as good BUT the room.
The size of both bedroom and bathroom were fine. The bedroom had a window with a first class view of a roof and there was a very bad area of damp under the window. The bedroom desperately needed general redecoration. The bathroom was worse the stone surround to the window had been painted and the paint was falling off and the glass was cracked. The room had been re-tiled which was good but where there were no tiles there were numerous damp areas. The door did not shut well. Added to all this despite all radiators being off the room was unbearably hot. It was not a good nights sleep. Reported all this to reception and filled the hotels comment form in. The response when I said that we had stayed before and it had been better then was that we were staying in a cheap room. Otherwise total disinterest it seems it was our fault.
The bill was a disaster zone of error after error which was resolved. I had to volunteer what we had had to drink as it was omitted from the bill. All that said it was not bad value but a decent nights sleep in a reasonably maintained room would have helped.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Simonstone Hall, once home to Lord and Lady Wharncliff is set at the foot of Stags Fell with breathtaking Views over Upper Wensleydale, the River Ure and the foothills of the Pennine range. This magnificent country house, is privately owned and has been carefully restored, whilst preserving the historic character of the beautiful building. Standing in it's own splendid grounds, the view from the front of the hotel is surely one of the most stunning in the country and can e enjoyed from serveral of the bedrooms also.Simonstone Hall is the ultimate tranquil retreat; it's atmosphere exudes comfort and finery in equal measures. From the moment you arrive you feel welcomed and indulged. A grand staircase leads to the second floor where a selection of elegant hotel bedrooms can be found.Relaxing lounges with log fires provide the perfect haven to relax and unwind. With spectacular views from both the Brasserie and Four Fells restaurant, it's the perfect place to enjoy a relaxed or intimate dinner. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Odigeo so you can book your Simonstone Hall Country House Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Simonstone Hall Country Hotel
- Simonstone Hall Country Hawes
- Simonstone Hall Country House Hotel Hawes, Yorkshire