Whilst I can't disagree with most of the other comments, overall our experience was positive. If I was looking for faults then it would be easy to get a fairly long list - from the unprepossessing entrance to the tired decor and less than large bedroom. However, the service was good, the food was good (but not great) and the location is ace.
Hawes is a charming little Dales town, with some great walks to be had. The hotel is a couple of miles away high on the opposite side of the valley, giving great open views. Fresh air and peace and quiet are the order of the day, and seeing as we went there to do very little except relax, it fitted the bill. No, there ain't 50 TV channels or wifi, but then we were intending to escape from too much gadgetry and noise.
Good points: Hotel bar - much more atmospheric and intimate than in most hotels. Our bathroom - as big as the bedroom with super views as you lie in the bath. Basic and totally unimaginative bathroom fitting and decor though. Could have been fantastic with stripped floorboards, rolltop bath etc.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Simonstone Hall, once home to Lord and Lady Wharncliff is set at the foot of Stags Fell with breathtaking Views over Upper Wensleydale, the River Ure and the foothills of the Pennine range. This magnificent country house, is privately owned and has been carefully restored, whilst preserving the historic character of the beautiful building. Standing in it's own splendid grounds, the view from the front of the hotel is surely one of the most stunning in the country and can e enjoyed from serveral of the bedrooms also.Simonstone Hall is the ultimate tranquil retreat; it's atmosphere exudes comfort and finery in equal measures. From the moment you arrive you feel welcomed and indulged. A grand staircase leads to the second floor where a selection of elegant hotel bedrooms can be found.Relaxing lounges with log fires provide the perfect haven to relax and unwind. With spectacular views from both the Brasserie and Four Fells restaurant, it's the perfect place to enjoy a relaxed or intimate dinner. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Odigeo and Priceline so you can book your Simonstone Hall Country House Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Simonstone Hall Country Hotel
- Simonstone Hall Country Hawes
- Simonstone Hall Country House Hotel Hawes, Yorkshire