Free cancellation until 27/07
  • Breakfast included
Free cancellation until 28/07
US$183
  • Restaurant
All reviewsluxury roomwine cellarsunday lunchfour poster bedstunning viewsantique furnitureevening mealyorkshire daleslambrelaxing staylarge roomlovely atmospherebooked a tablelovely weekendstayed for one nightfollowing morningbiscuits
Reviewed 24 October 2016

Such a pity as I had been looking forward to a stay at Simonstone Hall for many years. Certainly not a cheap place to stay but I expected that. The disappointments were the view from my room, mainly rooftops, the effort that needed to be expended to properly flush my toilet, the lack of understanding of someone with limited mobility with regard to getting luggage and myself up and down the stairs and the really limited menu choices at the price. This may be Yorkshire and pasta dishes may be viewed as foreign fare but any vegetarian staying for more than a night needs to like mushrooms, in a big way. Other than mushroom risotto, I failed to see any rice dishes or accompaniments. As a fan of "the full English" breakfast when I am away, the first morning it was okay ,if meagre. The second day had a cold mushroom, a quarter of a round of fried bread and the tiniest amount of black pudding to join my two slices of streaky bacon, one sausage and half a small tomato, plus my chosen poached egg. Yes, there were yoghurts, cereals, toast and pastries available but..............On my final day, it was not even really appetizing enough to eat much of. Several incidents that need not have occurred, happened throughout our stay to put a dampener on the visit, including inaccurate billing for some of the guests. This was not a management team that left one wishing to return, sadly.

Stayed: October 2016
Simonstonehall, Manager at Simonstone Hall Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 November 2016

Hi there, very many thanks for your feedback. I have discussed your review with all staff and are surprised by your comments! - I understand that you were disappointed with the view from your room, however, as this is our standard room category (and cheapest available) I am confident that, before booking, our Reception had explained the room tarrifs and difference in size and view from the room in question. Photographs are also available online.
Superior, ground floor rooms with garden views were available at the time of booking and are ideal for guests with limited mobility, however, I understand that you specifically booked the 'Standard/Cosy' category room on the first floor.

On check-out, I was grateful for the very positive comments about the food, service and dining experience and as such, am surprised to now hear that you did not enjoy this aspect of your stay! - we are working hard to ensure that the regularly changing menus offer seasonal variety, superb local ingredients and are cooked to our guests request, including the breakfast, for which we very regularly receive incredibly positive feedback and compliments!
Your bill was compiled accurately, however, the discretionary gratuity charge of £4 on the food and drink during your stay was immediately removed on request.
This is a discretionary charge which goes directly to all staff and, as promised, was discounted from your invoice without hesitation.
We're sorry that you didn't fully enjoy your stay, should you chose to come back in the future, we'd be happy to further explain the views and facilities from each room available and welcome you back with a new menu, including added vegetarian options.

Reviewed 18 October 2016

Absolutely loved my weekend stay at Simonstone. Amazing views to escape the city, great vibe and very friendly staff. Super close to pubs & shops near by to explore the local area too. Room was very clean and amazing Victorian/Georgian features.

Will definitely be returning to this beautiful spot in the lakes, but with more friends next time!

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled with friends
2  Thank Helen P
Reviewed 18 October 2016

We recently ate at Simonstone on the eve of our daughters wedding. I wanted a simple meal and choose salmon. It's was beautifully cooked, served with champ and vegetables. The were pleased with the whole experience ; we were in a hurry to get home so we were served quickly by a very friendly and pleasant waitress. I think that around £15 for a main course, it was very good value.

Room Tip: They are all good but I liked the ones overlooking the lawns and distant fells.
  • Stayed: October 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 October 2016

Likes:
Friendliness of staff.
Full English Breakfast. Porridge.
Plentiful supply of hot water
Magnificent views from excellent public rooms.
Excellent location for walking & many interesting places within a reasonable radius
Enjoyed one dinner of fish cakes and calves liver competently cooked in the brasserie but sought "fine dining" elsewhere.
Excellent bed.

Dislikes
"Fine Dining" Restaurant closed & informed no plans to open in foreseeable future - web site needs correcting if this is so, at a minimum guests should be advised at booking. Restaurant a main determinant of booking.
Ambiance & style not matching my expectations of "a country house" hotel although it has the potential to be such. Paper napkins at dinner, fine for local pizzeria, but sorry I don't think that is " country house" or what I would expect in any self respecting restaurant .for that matter. Bedroom a bit on small side (knee bruises from bed end) & view from window marred by redundant mattresses, radiator and bins.
No shower in bathroom.
Poor lighting for makeup - a not unusual complaint from my wife
Hair dryer not in range of any mirror..
Need (almost) to get down on knees to access sockets for essential charging of phones, tablets etc

Room Tip: Rear room small with marred views: photos of others look good.so request one like those
  • Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple
3  Thank DonR213
Reviewed 4 October 2016 via mobile

We spent a pleasant couple of hours enjoying afternoon tea at the Simonstone. The staff were pleasant and efficient, the food was tasty, particularly the sweet nibbles.

Had a good short walk to Hardrow force beforehand and relaxed into a comfy armchair in the lounge overlooking the valley watching the weather roll in.

Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple

Very glad to hear that you enjoyed your afternoon tea with us! - and very many thanks for the review.
We are now about to launch our Winter afternoon tea menu - definitely a tasty option before a frosty stroll in the Dales! - see you again soon.