“Is there anybody home????”

Simonstone Hall Country House Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Hawes
Reviewed 16 July 2010

Made booking clearly stating I was attending a wedding nearby and booking was readily taken. Checked in and when I left they took my room key and asked me to call with an expected arrival time that night which seemed a reasonable request. When I called I was told that my planned tome of return (1am) was inconvenient although someone would be there to see me in. When I arrived at 12.45 there were no members of staff and although I have a room booked I am writing this review having had to move some furniture in the lounge area around as I cannot get access to my room. No phones in the hotel (apart from in the rooms!!!) and no mobile reception mean I am here for the night and have a 4 hour drove ahead of me tomorrow - not pleased.

5  Thank Lors51

Reviewed 26 May 2010

We thought this hotel was lovely - we wish we'd booked a room overlooking the Dales, although the view we had from the front of the hotel was good. The breakfasts were fine and we thought the dinners were fab! Good choice, well presented and very tasty. Staff were extremely helpful, friendly and efficient. Shame about the failure of the water supply... maybe a back-up plan would be a good idea for the future?

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 May 2010

Simonstone Hall came to us well recommended by friends and family, and there is no doubt it has all the potential to be a wonderful place to stay. True, the reception rooms are a little "lived in", and the bedrooms might not be to everyone's taste (and it would be nice to have something other than the lino-like covering on the bathroom floor, given that the floorboards are a bit noisy), but the views are fantastic and you could forgive it all as part of the authentic atmosphere of a Victorian shooting lodge. All the staff we came across was helpful and individually seemed to be trying to do their best. But, and it's a big BUT, as an ensemble the delivery didn't impress.

How do you run out of "Black Sheep" half way through Easter (the only proper beer in the bar)? If you order "filter coffee" and it turns up in a cafetiere, you might at least expect coffee grounds in the bottom of the pot (they'd poured it out of the urn!). Oh dear!

The issue was at its most well defined in the restaurant. Breakfast was not impressive: no fruit, just cereals, out on the serve-yourself table, and juice that tasted as if it were made from concentrate; we asked for fruit - when it reluctantly came, it has obviously come from the fridge; croissants were either cooked to a frazzle or still half-cooked and doughy inside. But it was the dinners that were least satisfactory. Stuff that should have been easy to get right might or might not be cooked properly (e.g. steaks might arrive leathery). And much of the fancier stuff was curiously contrived - in fact if it were not for the assurance on the menu that all ingredients were locally sourced etc., etc., you might have been excused for thinking that these meals had arrived at the hotel in boxes in a lorry.

We had an Easter dinner - bed - and breakfast deal, which had been sufficiently attractive in the first place for us not to feel cheated - but our advice would be to skip the evening meals and eat elsewhere in Hawes.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank mike_in_orchard
SH4, Manager at Simonstone Hall Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 May 2010

We are very disappointed at your recent review of Simonstone Hall. However we take on board all points raised by our valued patrons so we may continue to provide the highest standards for our guests. The fruit for breakfast is freshly delivered daily in a refrigerated vehicle which would explain why you suspected it had come straight from the fridge, and we are most disappointed with the suggestion that all meals might arrive in boxes. All our food is cooked to order using only the finest locally sourced produce. Had these points been raised at the time of your stay we would have only been too happy to rectify your concerns, The black sheep had sold out and we did have another barrel delivered but , as I'm sure you're aware, real ales need time to settle before serving, So we would like to apologise for no Black sheep ready. As a valued customer of Simonstone Hall, your opinion is of the utmost importance to us and I thankyou for raising your concerns. I sincerely hope that you will once again visit Simonstone Hall Hotel

Reviewed 30 March 2010

The hotel was moderatly busy and the staff were absoulty fantastic, we dined in the restaurant and the presentation of the food was amazing. We were greated,taken to our table and our order placed very promptly, the staff took drink orders, helped with chossing wine ect so efficently it was like we were royalty. We stopped in one of the deluxe rooms and it was definatly deluxe, the views were fantastic and all of the furnishings were beautiful. You couldn't ask for more of an amazing location!!!!!

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Edward2203
Reviewed 5 February 2010

We only stayed one night and I wish we could have stayed longer.
Our lovely room had a very large four poster bed with fantastic views over the dales.
Staff were great, food was great.
Spent a few hours in the bar with the dogs.
Great base for walking around the dales with our dogs.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 January 2010

As i have never spent christmas and new year alone I though I would have a break away from it all. Well what can I say I have never been so well looked after any where else I have stayed the staff team are all so friendly and take the time to get to know you so all your requirements are catered for with out having to ask. The only problem I had with the food is that I have to go on a diet now and it looked to good to eat. I understand it is under new management and I must congratulate the manager and the team for a fantastic service well done keep up the good work and look forward to coming back with my family and friends. Almost forgot about the setting its breath taking so relaxing.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 December 2009

Just returned from a first class 2 night stay. warm welcome, warm rooms,superb decor, fantastic food, friendly and happy guests. As for the location its just brilliant with fantastic views made even more stunning with 6 inches of snow on the hills and dales.
Would say that this has been one of the best hotels I have ever stayed including some top 5 star hotels. The team there deliver a great expereince and all deserve a big thank you.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hawes
Stone House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Clapham
Beck Hall Malham
Beck Hall Malham
#1 of 1 in Malham

Been to Simonstone Hall Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!