“really not worth a visit”

Wensleydale Creamery
Ranked #1 of 14 things to do in Hawes
Sheffield, United Kingdom
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 77 helpful votes
“really not worth a visit”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2007

As a big cheese fan, I was really looking forward to this visit.

The man on the ticket desk was grumpy and unfriendy - he stared at as and muttered "family ticket" to himself before demanding the entrance fee. We were then told that the TV room was busy and we should return in 15 minutes.

The introductory film would have been ok I think except I could not hear it due to what appeared to be a nursery group outing where staff made no attempt to subdue the children to allow other people to hear. The side door then opened and an entire coach party walked through the room the wrong way talking loudly. Several people were now getting angry. Mr Grumpy appeared and shooed the remaining few people back out of the door.

From here we walked through the museum which was small and consisted mainly of posters and a few cheese presses. I asked Mr Grumpy a question and he asked if I was with the French party. I told him I was not and he replied - I am getting confused now (????) I decided it was time to give up!

Then onto the viewing gallery that looked onto the cheese vats. Nothing else. !! No explanation of what was happening or no one to answer any questions.

We then went to the shop which was OK but it was a cheese shop - where the products on offer could have been bought at any number of local outlets. There was the opportunity however to sample the cheese bfore purchase.

In summary - film, walk through "museum" to viewing gallery to shop. no tour, no information, no one to answer questioons.

Not a good experience

4 Thank mike2016852

Los Angeles, CA
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 49 helpful votes
“Cheese lovers Heaven”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2007

If you like cheese, this is a must-see. There is an interesting museum, and you can walk through and watch the cheese being made. Best is the tasting room. Hmmm, cheese (_8^(|)

Bring a pack and a lot of money, because you will want to load up on cheeses at reasonable prices.

It's just about dead-center in the middle of Yorkshire Dales National Park.

1 Thank Richard320