“Perfect place if you want to visit the Dales” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Green Dragon Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hawes
Green Dragon Inn
Ranked #16 of 23 Hawes B&B and Inns
Utrecht, The Netherlands
“Perfect place if you want to visit the Dales”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2014

What a great place! THIS is a typical pub with simple but very nice rooms upstairs. Don't worry about the noise, it's so not a problem!
I share with 3 friends a bunk beds room and it was more than okay! It's clean and you have everything you need after a day hiking in the Dales. But don't forget to bring a towel with you as it's not furnished! If you are more in a camping mood you can also put your tent outside near the waterfall which is free entrance for people staying at the Green Dragon!
We had dinner in the pub and the food was just delicious!
You won't be disappointed!

• 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Nenagh
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2014

Arrived with wife, friends and various dogs to stop for a few days as we toured Yorkshire and the Dales not really knowing what to expect as the reviews are up and down. Overall I really liked the place but it is certainly a little odd, our room was good with a kitchen, living room, shower room and bedroom. Furniture was a little sparse but we were not intending to spend too much time in the room so grand though one of our friends did not get a room more a cell without even a power point - that must be unique. Service was a little hit and miss but by and large it was ok and the beer was very good. We ate there one evening and the food was good but breakfast on both mornings was excellent.
The bar is very olde worlde with a roaring fire and the most eclectic seats and tables you will find in a month of Sunday's, a lot of the staff seemed to be there for just a few weeks which really is not too surprising. Access to the waterfall is controlled and chargeable if you are not staying, now they are doing a lot of work on the fall walks etc so I can understand the charge but having to wait about 10 minutes to get into the car park every time you return is a pain. The place is very dog friendly so if travelling with your dog there is no problem.
Would I stay again I think so yea it is an odd but not a bad experience.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
      Location
1 Thank DonNenagh
Doncaster, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

My friends and I visited the area of Hawes in May 2014 for two nights and this is where we stayed. We stayed on the campsite at the rear of the Inn.

OK, so where do I begin? Well firstly, our initial feelings when we got there were positive I must say. The inside of the pub is very olde worlde (the roaring log fire, the beams, stone floor etc.) but this positive feeling left us pretty much straight away when the guy behind the bar told us the price of having breakfast there, as well as the fact that we couldn't have a full breakfast on one of the mornings, just butties as they had a party of 20 or so in. If breakfast is served 8-10am, does that mean they can't cater for more than 20 people inside 2 hours? If the party of 20 weren't having breakfast until 9am for example, what are they doing from 8 until 9? And if that wasn't an absolute joke, then the price of £8.50 for a Full English Breakfast or £4.25 for a bacon/sausage sandwich (one or the other, not both!) surely was. Reluctantly, we paid for the butties and full breakfasts for the second morning but we weren't happy. The campsite I have to admit was really nice and we pitched our tent next to the stream which ran from Hardraw Force past the pub. Despite the campsite being nice though, it was nowhere near enough to make up for what was to come. The next morning, we walked down to the pub for breakfast (butties) and after some exploring, we discovered the eating area located at the back of the pub. When we got there, every table was reserved for guests staying in the hotel and there was nowhere for us to sit. After informing one of the waitresses that we had already ordered breakfast butties, she looked at us as if we'd just asked her to jump head first off the top of Hardraw Force. Basically, we had been forgotten about which in all honesty did not surprise me. She went away to speak to someone and whilst waiting, we decided to help ourselves to some orange juice which was on a table. Then, this very rude, older woman came straight over to us and said and I quote, "You can't have that!". When I asked her why, she said, "You're only having butties!". She then directed us back into the pub which was bereft of any life to sit down. A few minutes later, a young waitress brought us our butties which were a) dry b) cold c) had hardly any filling. I then told the waitress who was really nice that we were not happy that we weren't allowed to have orange juice when we've paid £4.25 for a butty and if she could bring us some, to which she did. We were the opposite of happy and during that afternoon, we cancelled our breakfasts for the next morning as we were not prepared to sit there and take that kind of service and pay those sorts of prices. The next morning, we ended up having breakfast in Hawes at a place called the Wensleydale Pantry and it was absolutely wonderful (cheaper, lovely staff & better food!). I cannot stress this enough, I wouldn't give this establishment my business again if it was the only place in the country.

A few other things that I really didn't like about this place was the fact that if you're not staying at the Inn and you wish to see the waterfall, the Green Dragon actually charge you £1.50 to walk through their gate to go and see it. Does the Green Dragon own the waterfall? This is absolutely dreadful. I have never been to a place like it where they are literally trying to suck money out of you from the minute you get there. Another thing that we couldn't/wouldn't do was actually have a drink inside the Inn. The space behind the bar is large enough for two people at the most and the size of the actual bar makes it impossible for more than a few people to stand side by side at so basically, there is a constant queue at the bar. Thanks but no thanks and after the way we were treated, we refused to give them anymore of our time or custom.

To summarise; I think the above says it all. A place that looks nice from the outside but as soon as you enter, the nightmare begins. Apparently there's another campsite next door to the Green Dragon and even though I've never been to it, I suggest you stay there because trust me, it will not be as bad as this place.

p.s. This is the first 1/5 rating I have ever given on Trip Advisor!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
7 Thank MikeyGS

Travellers are raving about these Hawes hotels

Waterford, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

We, plus 17 members of the family stayed at the Dragon, very recently, for three nights for a family wedding. Certainly this was an unusual experience which added to it's charm. We made allowances for the fact that most of the staff were given time off to attend another wedding. If you are expecting sophisticated five star hotel treatment then do yourself a favour and consider elsewhere. The Dragon caters for a wide variety of overnight requirements from a couple of very nice apartments down to bunk rooms for hikers. If you have a sense of humour and want to stay in an Inn which is as old as the hills and is full of character, if a little eccentrically run, then "enter the Dragon". Would we go back ?
Sure we would.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
      Cleanliness
2 Thank John B
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

The Green Dragon was the recent venue for my brother's stag weekend. Its limitations were numerous, spectacular, surprising and unadvertised.

I'd best sum it up as a pub without beer, with mixers but no ice, a hotel that can't be checked into, and a restaurant which doesn't sell food to guests. Add to the mix a landlady who changes opening hours and working practices in her head on an hourly basis and expects guests to follow whatever the latest un-notified change may be, and you have the perfect storm.

Others in our party likened the place to Fawlty Towers, which I find a little harsh on Sybil and Basil. It was more as though Black Books had relocated in order to apply its skills in deliberately withholding service to the hospitality sector in Yorkshire.

After a couple of heartfelt initial skirmishes (e.g. the landlady closing the restaurant 2 hours early without telling anyone then leaving for hours, only to reappear and scold starving customers [who had no other option] for ordering take-away rather than supporting her business), we decided to be amused by the madness which governed the place and simply got drunk.

In assessing whether the place might work for you as it oddly did for us, please bear in mind ours was a 30-strong stag party. Smaller and quieter groups would probably find it harder to create their own atmosphere. I truly dread to think what a mess the place could make of a romantic getaway.

16 Thank D L
Darwen, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed in a double bunk room as they had nothing else available. Dirty room, used quilt cover with hair on!
No lager except in warm cans at £3 each! No vodka. I settled for pear cider and was told not to take too much ice! Thinking he was joking I took more and was told off!
Breakfast was 2 x bacon sandwiches and two teas at £12!!
Another customer was told he was to pay £100 even though it was advertised for £50!
One of my friends was told he had to pay a £10 deposit on top of his £8 pitch for a tent!
Although no one else was asked?
Let's just say it's a beautiful building run by unhelpful and rude staff!
Would I stay again erm NEVER!

Stayed August 2014
12 Thank Scootlife
loughborough
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

I stayed whilst cycling through Yorkshire and at first site everything was fine.
The bar was pretty busy and a nice open fire was burning so the atmosphere was good.
The staff were friendly and the beer was nice.
Unfortunately over the course of the evening I started to notice no-one seemed to care.
We tried to book in and were asked to come back later as they were a bit busy!
When we eventually got a room it was basic which was fine as we'd booked a bunk room.
I then noticed the loo was a real mess with rubbish scattered all over it by some unwelcome guest (there was no bin either) but nothing was done about and it looked the same the following morning!!
We ate in the restaurant - I had the lamb shank and although it tasted nice it was the smallest lamb shank I've ever seen by a considerable margin (more meat on your average lamb chop), not what you want after a day in the saddle and not good value for £14.95!!!
I noticed nothing seemed to be clean and saw a cat in the kitchen wandering around - we did not stop for breakfast!!!!

If you want a quick pint its a good place to stop but I felt dirty when I left and won't be staying again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
      Location
      Cleanliness
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank rob M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hawes
Stone House Hotel
#12 of 23 in Hawes
The Fountain Hotel
The Fountain Hotel
#14 of 23 in Hawes

Been to Green Dragon Inn? Share your experiences!