“Cyclists Avoid”

Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Cyclists Avoid”
Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

About three weeks ago we ate here after cycling from leeds.This time we never got through the door.Upon arrival we placed our bikes against some railings at the front of the cafe.Immediately the rather patronising and pompous owner appeared asking why we hadn't read his sign that asked us not to place our bikes next to the railings as people may want to sit in the chairs adjacent,indeed,somebody did want to sit in those seats,us!After such an unnecessarily hostile reception we decided to go elsewhere.Cafe Curva about 100 yards up the high street and on the right offered a warm welcome and didn't mind us and our bikes.Thoroughly enjoyable lunch on a nice sunny terrace.

5 Thank michael j
cheffy5, Owner at Herriot's Kitchen, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
I don't understand why Tripadvisor allows NON customers the right to review establishments.
As the reviewer says i lent my bike against his sign, he then looked me in the eye and said' oh, I didn't think that meant me' well who on earth would it have been for? The railings get battered, the flowerpots bashed and customers cannot get past, to gain entry into our establishment, or sit outside if that's their choice. The reason for this, I hear you ask - is because their bike locks are apparantly too heavy, therefore some try to bring their bikes inside or block the entrance.

Doncaster, United Kingdom
“Applause for Herriot's of Hawes”
Reviewed 27 April 2014

I called in after a walk in the beautiful countryside around Hawes. This is a snug little café with a delightful menu. On the Specials board, I noticed a bacon, cheese and cranberry Ciabatta and was immediately won over. It was delicious. The service was good and prompt. A huge bonus with this café is the friendliness of the staff who were happy to chat. The gentleman of the establishment kindly offered to replenish my flask with water as I was leaving. It is the little touches like that which make a huge difference. Would certainly return.

Newcastle, United Kingdom
“Our family-friendly favourite in Hawes”
Reviewed 12 April 2014

We love this little gem of a cafe and have just been for our annual 'soup and sandwich' visit today. If you like delicious home cooked quality lunches then this is an excellent choice and the surroundings are bright and cheerful as this cafe is also an art gallery (some really beautiful paintings too!) There is also overnight accommodation I believe but can't comment on that as we only visit for lunches or coffees. Our kids also love this place and are always made more than welcome, with little personal touches like making my son a coronation chicken sandwich without any sultanas. As a result, the kids enjoy our visits as much as we do and once again today badgered us into getting a carry-out of their soup to take back to our caravan for tea. See you again next year :)

1 Thank Angela M
Wigan
“Dream cheese scones”
Reviewed 6 April 2014 via mobile

Read the reviews on here early this morning, so decided to stop here the cheese scones and chutney absolutely mouth-wateringly yummy. And the shortbread served with out drinks was fantastic. Mum bought some to bring home. Lucky big sis, little brother and me. The owners are really welcoming and the place is spotless. Treat yourself and you won't be disappointed. We shall be back.

Visited April 2014
Wetherby, United Kingdom
“Worth the trip”
Reviewed 3 April 2014

My wife, 2 small children and I visited Hawes on a Sunday afternoon and stumbled upon Herriot's by chance and we are so pleased that we did.
My wife popped in to speak to the owner to ask if they served Gluten Free food and was told they do and the owner came out to help with our double buggy up the stairs and even opened up a secure corridor for us to place it in.
He very helpfully made sure our children were well cared for both in terms of a suitably large enough table, highchair and drinks/snacks etc - nothing was too much trouble which was most appreciated.
My wife and I both had delicious sandwiches (I throughly recommend the BLT made with local bacon) and enjoyed looking at the artwork on display in the lower area.
I would say that Herriot's is child friendly and very welcoming with great food, just the ticket for some foot sore tourists.
We will go back there next time we are in the area.