“food” 3 of 5 bubbles

The Royal Oak Near Filey
Ranked #2 of 3 Hunmanby B&B and Inns
“food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014

Superb family meal, mega size portions, highly recommend the rump steak, its the best I have had for many years, burgers are really good, nice and tasty, sweet and sour chicken lovelly, gammon really juicy. Puddings if you can fit one in are excellent, hoist very funny and entertaining. Will be eating here again, thanks to all of the staff for great service. P.s we are a family of four, I didn't eat all of this myself.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Durham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014

We found this place online when staying at haven and we are so glad we did. We booked for Sunday lunch and it was the best Sunday lunch we have ever had out and may be even better than we have at home. Only thing I would say is it dose get a bit hot in there on a warm day but is worth getting hot for that sort of food.
We tried to get back in the week but it was fully booked. We managed to get a table for our last night and wow what a meal. We all had great food my wife loved the bbq chicken and I tried the mixed grill which was by far the best I have ever had, my kids had burger and said it was the best they had had to. Nan had sweet and sour chicken and loved it. They even gave us a box to the take bones and meat I could not eat, home to the dog. I would say that they do temp you with the puddings and if I could of I would off, my daughter got a waffle to take away and loved it. The only complaint I have is the bar man said if you like the mixed grill you should try our pies and it was our last night and boy do I wish I could. Over all the staff are great and we all felt very welcome including the kids, they even asked to go from Durham to the pub for this Sunday lunch.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank npm m
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

Stayed the night in the family room. Accommodation was clean and the welcome was very friendly. The room decor was tired and the electrics a bit suspect but the beds were comfy and we slept well. Breakfast was huge, great value. Location great for a weekend in Filey.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Steve M, General Manager at The Royal Oak Near Filey, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
Hi Caroline H, thanks for taking the time out to post a review. I must pull you up on one of your comments though regarding the electrics been a bit suspect. Was this a technical term I wonder as you must have experience in this field??
You see all establishments like ours, every year, according to Health & Safety Law must be PAT (portable appliance tested) by qualified independent electricians, and seeing as we passed our PAT Testing which is a very intense examination of all electrical appliances, including plugs and wiring. I fail to see how you deem our electrics "suspect"
I will gladly pass on your comments to the qualified electricians the next time we are PAT Tested, whoa there boys are you sure about our certificate as one of weekend guests said our electrics were a bit dodgy like. Wink, wink say no more guv'nor.
Cheers, for all the staff.
manchester uk
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2014

Visited on the strength of previous reviews. First impressions..very welcoming and friendly staff.
Food was delightful...huge portions I had chilli ,and hubs had steak pie. I couldn't eat all mine due to the huge portions..couldn't fit it all in. Very reasonably priced too!
I was also impressed with the ability of one of the staff of remembering our names...and not just ours...the place was packed to the rafters.
It was our first ever experience of staying in a caravan at a nearby site, and although we may not visit the caravan site again, we would certainly give the Royal Oak a try if in the area.

Room Tip: I would book ahead if on a weekend.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014 via mobile

Don.t be put off by the dilapitated tourers that line the carpark. This pub serves seriously good food. The staff are friendly and helpful....booking taxis if needed. They are also slightly mad....one of them greeting eveyone with a good morning....albeitb8pm at night. All the food we ordered was great from sandwiches to curry to lamb shank. The homemade oniannrings were huge....we will definately come back whenbwe are next camping in hunmanby.

• Stayed May 2014
      Rooms
Barnsley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2014 via mobile

Have been to the Royal Oak, quite a few times. We come to a nearby caravan site close to this pub.
We always come for a meal, which is always cooked fresh to your liking, and they are always big portions and excellent value for money. The host's Terry & Andy always make you very welcome, as do all the bar staff. They cannot do enough for you. Also for us having dogs with us, there is a section of there establishment that caters for our four legged friends. Highly recommend this place to anyone in the area.

• Stayed May 2014
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

We were staying at a nearby caravan site, 2 adults 2 kids. Chose The Royal Oak due to favourable reviews on Trip Adviser. We were made welcome in the traditional setting by staff who were enthusiastic and friendly. Well prepared food, big portions and the best chips I've had for a while, all at a fair price. Worth a visit if your in the area.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Andy310515
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hunmanby
White Lodge Hotel
The Crescent Hotel
The Crescent Hotel
#5 of 28 in Scarborough
Crows Nest Caravan Park

Been to The Royal Oak Near Filey? Share your experiences!